1.    #1  
    I have read the threads and don't find anything like what I'm facing.

I have about 2700 contacts on my pre plus verizon phone. I just switched to an i-phone and noticed that Google only shows 1050 or so contacts. So apparently well over 1000 contacts have been deleted from Google.

I checked the pre and they appear to still be on the pre....so I put it in airplane mode so it won't sync again and wipe out the items on the pre.

I tried doing the ##66623# option described in some posts...and it goes through the cellbrite export. When I connect it to my mac pro - I can't find any file on the pre that fits the description noted (i.e. PmMigration).

I checked with MarcSpace to see if I could buy Missing Sync to just do a wired sync between the pre and mac to move data over to the mac and then sync it to the iphone.

I wonder if the export to the csv file using the code above has to be done on a windows computer? (On the road with mac an can't do that).

I have been a loyal palm user for many many years...and finally had enough of the following challenges with the Pre:

1. Battery randomly disconnects (tried shims etc..nothing works long term)
    2. Keypad requires very precise and direct pressure with fingernails to get it to work correctly and routinely takes more pressure on the keys in the middle (h, g etc). The physical keyboard was one of the main reasons I went with pre over something else...and it has been very disappointing. (Note Iphone keypad is much easier to use....they have improved).
    3. Slider is wobbly. It's the 3rd phone I've had and I baby these devices..never dropped...kept in a soft secure case...just poor build.

It was a hard decision to leave Palm, but I can honestly say I love the iphone, and I had previously love my palm Treo. I wish everyone well, and I truly hope HP will get some real focus and start making some great products. I'm just unimpressed so far.

I will really appreciate any help anyone can provide on how to get my data moved over...it would just suck to have to lose that many contacts.

I do feel the problem here is google...and will never sync with them again.
  2.    #2  
    Update - so I used my work PC (Windows...and did get the csv file to show up and have exported it to a thumb drive). Have to drive for the next 6 hours...will try more tonight...but looks like I'm supposed to use the CSV file to update the phone...I don't want to update the pre - I need to update the Google account..so that it's correct.

I've read on the posts...and it appears that if I take the pre off airplane mode that it will likely honor the delete from google and just wipe out the contacts on the pre.
    Is there a way to make the pre overwrite the google account?

Is there a way to just use the csv file and import it directly into the mac pro...and have it update the mac contacts?

The way I got contacts to the mac was through exporting from google and importing into mac.

Thanks for any help.
    scary that I have almost exactly 2,700 contacts too.

but, several things probabl happening. Lets focus on recovering your data first. If the cellbrite code didn't export all of your contacts to an email attachment, the find a patch in preware that does the same thing. It adds an option to your email app to extract/email them as a giant .csv file. Let me know if that helps.

and don't make any changes in gmail or your phone until you try that. I think I've been through this exact issue, and it can get tricky, se we don't want to make things worse...
    ps, did you have the carrier try to copy your contacts to your iphone when you activated it?

another suggestion is that you don't sync your pc or iphone to this google account until we get a usable export of your contacts.
  5.    #5  
    On the road for several hrs. I am not synching I phone with anything but my mac and only synchin mac with iPhone. Being careful to make no changes until I can find a solution.

I look forward to reviewing tips tonight. Thanks fir help
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    scary that I have almost exactly 2,700 contacts too.

but, several things probabl happening. Lets focus on recovering your data first. If the cellbrite code didn't export all of your contacts to an email attachment, the find a patch in preware that does the same thing. It adds an option to your email app to extract/email them as a giant .csv file. Let me know if that helps.

and don't make any changes in gmail or your phone until you try that. I think I've been through this exact issue, and it can get tricky, se we don't want to make things worse...

Where would I find this preware you referenced?

I tried exporting the csv file using the code, but my mac pro can't see the file. So, I tried it using my work PC (on the road here) and it finds it and sees the file, but my company's NASA like security won't let me transfer the file to a flash drive or anywhere else. (You'd think we are the pentagon or something LOL).

So - I may be forced to wait until I get back home in a few days to work on this more unless there is some other approach via pre-ware.

I spoke with Mark Sync about using missing synch and they say it won't work for this case because (I'm paraphrasing here) that essentially the pre is partitioned whenever we synch with google...and that the google synch of data sort of puts that data into a special place on the pre that can only be accessed by google for synching.

So I'll have to find some way to export the csv file or some equivalent I guess.

I do not have google synching with my Pre at the moment because I'm keeping the pre in airplane mode.

I also do not have google synching with the new iphone or with the mac. I just did an export of google to the mac on a one time basis to move the contacts. When I did that and tested the import I found that these contacts were missing. Then I went into google and saw they were missing in google also.

Then I went and checked the pre and saw they were still on the pre.

Then I went to google and tried the setting where one can reset google to a date say 30 days back...and the contacts didn't show back then either. So - not sure what prompted them to delete, but feel sure they were there 30 days ago because many of the missing contacts are ones I use often and I would have noticed.

I suspect something went awry in the export process.

Verizon is my cell provider...and they said they could export contacts from my pre plus to my iphone if I needed them to, but then they went on to say they never had worked on a pre before and didn't really know how to do that. When I consider those comments with the ones from Marc Synch about google hogging the data...I wonder if it is even possible to get verizon to transfer the data?

Worst case scenario - I take my old palm treo (still working) or my old pam desktop and export it to mac somehow.

Good to always have several backups. I would lose every contact I have added in the past year, but I would keep all the other 1000 plus contacts.

Any ideas appreciated.
    Visit contacts.google.com and see if there is a discrepancy between 'My contacts' and 'All Contacts'. Every so often my pre decides to shift all of my contacts to one group and they disappear off of my phone.... maybe this happened?

I'm guessing contacts I add on my computer dont necessarily get pushed down unless I transfer em over.
    your post made me nervous, and I tried the patch and it didn't work for me. I know it is not as bad, but I lost all my google bookmarks once, and Google didn't help me at all. Another time my Google Pay got compromised, and they first told me I would have to open a whole new google account (mail, contacts, bookmarks, docs...), I refused and they backed down, but it doesn't give you a lot of trust in them.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    Visit contacts.google.com and see if there is a discrepancy between 'My contacts' and 'All Contacts'. Every so often my pre decides to shift all of my contacts to one group and they disappear off of my phone.... maybe this happened?

I'm guessing contacts I add on my computer dont necessarily get pushed down unless I transfer em over.
    Thanks for the idea - checked and My contacts has 1 fewer than All contacts.
    Any other ideas??
  10.    #10  
    bump
    Have you verified the other contacts on your phone are indeed saving to your Google account and not another location (e.g. Palm Profile).
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts