1.    #1  
    This post is meant to help me understand the issues surrounding putting webOS 2.0.1 on the VZW Pre+.

First of all, i understand that the 2.x SDK is still under NDA. How does this limit what folks can discuss and do? (And how does the Sprint Pre2 with 2.0.1 from webOS-Internals safely walk this fine line?)

The Verizon Pre2 webOS doctor (for 2.0.1) is in the wild. Can a "how to" be created for putting 2.0.1 onto the VZW Pre+? If not, why?

Clearly developers can benefit from having webOS 2.x. For everyone else is it worth putting webOS 2.0.1 onto a Pre+?

Thanks very much.
    first rule of NDA is usually "dont talk about NDA" so you might not get much on that.

in terms of the why/why not questions, check out the 'franken-pre' threads where people are putting pre radios into the pre2. You will find a bunch of info on how various doctor versions relate.

but, the pre2 has a different cpu and that is one reason it won't work directly with older hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    is there any logical reason the same process couldn't work on a vzw pre+?

*never mind, just realized why that would be an enormous waste of time and effort.
    why? Perhaps some of us don't have $400 lying around/faith in HP's promises to deliver new devices. Considering that the VZW pre+ is probably the second most popular webos device,i think it would be time and effort well spent.
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    *never mind, just realized why that would be an enormous waste of time and effort.
    Not sure if you're joking...?
    Why would it be a waste of time and effort?
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    why? Perhaps some of us don't have $400 lying around/faith in HP's promises to deliver new devices. Considering that the VZW pre+ is probably the second most popular webos device,i think it would be time and effort well spent.
    unless I am wrong, the process on the sprint involves using a pre2 comm board, which involves buying a pre2 anyway.

I don't think that was about succesfully using 2.x on a regular Spring pre-. I do think their are efforts to do that as well, but I don't think that is what that thread is discussing (again, I may be waaaay off, I'm not that smart).
    OP was talking about running 2.0 on an unmodified Pre Plus without violating NDA, not a commboard swap.
    yes, the frankenPre is an option, but you have to own a pre and a pre2 to put the pre radio in the pre2. The OP wants to put 2.0 directly on a pre, and that isn't currently possible.
    So why is the frankenpre allowed be the NDA, but not the software hack?
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Since the thread you link is for using webOS on a Pre2 (with a different comms board) there were no modifications needed due to the different processors, correct?
    Any sources on how i might address this?
    It seems that part of the NDA includes not elaborating on what is subject to NDA (this is just my guess, but its the only reason I can think of why it is so tough to get straight answers out of people that are otherwise so helpful).
    Here's a question that should be possible to answer.
    Under NDA restrictions, is it possible to develop and distribute a set of instructions which, when followed, will yield a 2.0 doctor for Pre-/+ with fully functional profile/catalog/bookmark support, which can be built from a publicly available doctor? Or is there some reason why this has not been widely discussed by developers?
    I'm no expert here, but usually if HP/Palm hasn't released a doctor for what you want (even on another carrier such as: webOS 2.XX on at&t Pre/Pre+ & lets say you have Sprint) then publicly it can't be worked on, developed or spoken about. Key word being PUBLIClY as in on this forum. With the release of a Pre-/Pre+ Dr. for 2.0.1 then you can get any & all info on the subject as well as links to the DR. No matter what carrier they release it for 1st. You can modify anything for your model or carrier Openly once it's been released publicly & the NDA is lifted.
    Last edited by bodyshop; 02/21/2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Here's a question that should be possible to answer.
    Under NDA restrictions, is it possible to develop and distribute a set of instructions which, when followed, will yield a 2.0 doctor for Pre-/+ with fully functional profile/catalog/bookmark support, which can be built from a publicly available doctor? Or is there some reason why this has not been widely discussed by developers?
    In short, NO. Not until HP/Palm releases at least one 2.0 Dr. for a Pre/Pre plus first, then it's open season.
  16.    #17  
    OK. So in answer to my original questions:
    1. Anyone under NDA can't talk about what they can't talk about. This must include Palm hardware, thus no public work on the Pre +/- to 2.0.1 via Pre2 Doctor.

2. No, a public "how to" can't be created until 2.0.1 is released for Pre+/- into the wild, or the NDA is lifted.

3. No one has hit this yet.
    I guess i'll weigh in with a couple: 2.0.1 doesn't have full patch support yet, nor a kernel for overclocking. Also, sounds like purchasing 2.x apps may be tough without a PreWare or App Catalog update? Is the software architecutre improved in 2.0.1?
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    ... until 2.0.1 is released for Pre+/- into the wild, or the NDA is lifted.
    Things aren't looking good for the carrier path: From Engadget
  18.    #19  
    Well things are looking up from the Homebrew front today...

I just got a call from VZW customer service. She had read my email to the CEO, but had no familiarity with specifics for webOS upgrade, or the Pre. She said that software updates are up to the provider (HP), and that hardware upgrade discounts are not typical and would also be up to the provider. Buck passing galore.