1.    #1  
    I've done my research and it seems that you can remove the data plan from your account on AT&T after you get your smartphone. I've also found out that there's a possiblity that AT&T will detect your smartphone either by IMEI or manually and dump a data plan on you. Has anyone successfully avoided the AT&T data plans on their PALM + devices on AT&T? Tell me how, sensei!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I don't have data plan for my pre+ on at&t. I just bought it for full price & asked rep to remove any data plan. Also you can turn off data usage under phone preferences.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    I don't have data plan for my pre+ on at&t. I just bought it for full price & asked rep to remove any data plan. Also you can turn off data usage under phone preferences.
    When did you do this? As far as I know, it's not that simple anymore. But that's as far as I know. I will be buying the phone new from a different company and not with my line. Do you know if this method still works?
    I know you're asking about the Pre,
    but,
    Att has a history of trying to force people with Smartphones into a data plan.

Here is a partial 'cut&paste' from an old post from last year of mine:
    My wife was having trouble with her basic phone, so to test it, I swapped her Sim with mine, just to see if the issue was specifically her phone, and then switched it back.
    A couple months later I checked my Att bill online and noticed it went up $30 per month, for the last two months.
    They added a data plan to my wife's phone.
    Just a basic candybar Samsung something.
    I called them to ask why they added a data plan to my wife's phone.
    CS said because her phone registered as a pda phone, and their policy requires all pda phones to have a data plan. I asked the girl to look and see how much data my wife had used for the last two months, and the girl said none.
    I asked if it's their policy to force people to a data plan for nothing more than using a pda phone for 1 minute? The CS girl told me when I switched sims that it registered with the tower as a pda and that's why the plan changed.

They refunded me the $60, but it shows they try and force you into a data plan with a smartphone.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/03/2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    I tried buying a Pre Plus without a data plan. They eventually let me, but AT&T automatically dumped a data plan on me overnight. I had a text message that said a data plan was added for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    Have they made any further attempts to get you on a data plan?
    Just call me Berd.
    Tell them it was ur kids n they lost the phone. Emphasize new phone is not smart phone and you want any data features on new phone turned off (i.e. Internet). Most phones have this capability these days. They'll put data back on there and then you call back. Do this a couple months n will turn into pay as you use data....which should be nothing. Did it w/dauther's IPHONE after it was stolen n I gave her my old centro.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Have they made any further attempts to get you on a data plan?
    no, as long as you turn off data usage under phone pref! I don't know if this option is present or no under 2.1? I have webos 1.4.5
    other option is just put your sim in some dumb phone and call at&t to remove any data plan and select "data opt out" option.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    webOS 2.1 does have the "Data Usage" option on/off available.

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.