1.    #1  
    Hey guys. Sprint hasn't given me the go-ahead to have an early upgrade (my 2 year is on July 1) so I don't have much flexibility right now, being ****ed about the new OS not coming and all that....but you guys think its worth keeping insurance on it? It'd be nice not to have to pay 7 bucks a month more until I get something else.

I'm pretty careful with my phone, still keep it in the original pouch/sleeve thing while in my pocket. Has some dings and scratches and the power button is pretty flat but otherwise ok.
    I wouldn't pay insurance once they are easily found for less than the deductible on ebay. If you can buy a used one for $50, it's not as valuable to get a refurb with a 90 day warranty for $100.
  3.    #3  
    Makes sense. I'm sure I can find one if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I wouldn't pay insurance once they are easily found for less than the deductible on ebay. If you can buy a used one for $50, it's not as valuable to get a refurb with a 90 day warranty for $100.
    But note insurance means the device is repairable for a small fee through your insurance company. Buying one off of ebay is considered Out of Warranty by Palm since ebay is not considered an authorized reseller, so with that being said you will be theoretically expected to pay full repair costs if you go through Palm (carriers may vary).
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I've still got the insurance and I've got a Pre Minus. Insurance has come in handy many times (and I've yet to pay any deductible at all) for many replacement Pre's. I've never lost one or had one stolen but the insurance has helped in my case and I've had a Pre since launch day on Sprint, June 2009.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I've still got my insurance. You never know when you need it, or if money is low and something happens to your phone.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I've still got the insurance and I've got a Pre Minus. Insurance has come in handy many times (and I've yet to pay any deductible at all) for many replacement Pre's. I've never lost one or had one stolen but the insurance has helped in my case and I've had a Pre since launch day on Sprint, June 2009.
    How'd you end up with not paying the 100 bucks?
    I have had to replace one Pre 4 times, another 3 times, another 3 times, and the fourth once. My wife had that fourth one and demanded a different phone when her Pre had the close reset bug the first week. USB Crack, Oreo, Close Reset, Speaker Failure, etc.

Never once did we drop one or break one.

So that is 12 Pre's. I know that there are people who still have a launch-day Pre so if you can get a good one, it can last. But if you ask someone who has been at Best Buy over 18 months, the Pre is one of the highest defect rates they have ever seen. A large survey here put the defect rate at 47%.

So if you have any smartphone, consider insurance. If you have a Pre you are nuts not to have it.

But if you try to replace it through insurance at Sprint now, they will not allow you to get another Pre. You can only get a Hero, BlackBerry...or...a Pixi! And they will say "Pixi" with a straight face!

I don't know about the other carriers but if they no longer stock the Pre's don't they have to replace with other models as well?

- Craig
    vzw still has Pre refurbs for replacement. And my deductable is $50, so once the get below $100 on ebay, insurance goes away (unless my employer is paying for it, which they were until nov).
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    If you're paying $7 @ Sprint for insurance then you have TEP (total equipment protection). That gets you free replacements unless the device has water damage, is destroyed, or is lost. Those 3 get you the $100 deductible. I've had multiple Pres replaced including a broken screen at no cost.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I use Sprint TEP, and it's one of my favorite aspects of Sprint. I would / will keep TEP on the original Sprint Pre, especially with the track record of breaks.
    I keep it because I am grandfathered in at a lower rate. I had "only" 3 pres so far...
    Wow! Really? How many people STILL don't know about this????

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...cy-change.html

As of Nov 1, 2010, Sprint does not have a deductible for their TEP plans. If you break your phone, bring it in & they & hand you a bright shiny refurb...... for FREE

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    If you're paying $7 @ Sprint for insurance then you have TEP (total equipment protection). That gets you free replacements unless the device has water damage, is destroyed, or is lost. Those 3 get you the $100 deductible. I've had multiple Pres replaced including a broken screen at no cost.
    Interesting. I didn't know the 100 bucks was only for the water, destruction, or losing it.

Then the last link says there's no more deductible.

Now I'm not sure what to do, lol.