1.    #1  
    I've speculated that, despite protestations that the carrier picks the phones the wish to carry, that Sprint had been treated like the red headed step child by Palm and now (probably) HP.

I "speculate" that, after years of loyalty to Palm, they were handed a "not ready for prime time player" and turned into defacto beta testers. Then, when their 6 month exclusivity was up, the cleaned up version in the form of the Plus series went to Verizon, who used it largely to sell Android and other phones (if you accept the word of users on this group who mostly say Verizon tried to talk them out of the Pre). Verizon's reward? The Pre 2! ATT is not quite the evil phone empire, but they have the iPhone. What do they need the Pre for?

Now the Pre3 is supposed to come out in CDMA (strongly rumored to be headed for Verizon so they can use it to sell more Android) and unlocked GSM.

I think there is something about Sprint that made Palm want to use them as a whipping boy, then hand the better stuff to the bigger companies. So, as you can see, I can speculate with the best of them. But, starting from Plus then going to 2, can anyone share the actual Gospel of why Sprint customers have been left hanging with 1st gen Pre's?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I "speculate" Sprint will be selling the Pre3 and TouchPad in June.

Carriers choose which phones they sell. Sprint just didn't want the Pre2

For the most part, Apple is the only company that restricts which carrier can carry the iPhone - some companies make exclusive phones for certain carriers, but usually also sell the same phone w/ slight differences on other carriers as well.
    Don't know but I read an interesting post on one of the blogs and I posted about it in this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post2874961
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    probably because of all the returns they had for the original Pre and the sheer amount they purchased. They were still selling the original Pre until the last few months I believe.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Nobody here actually knows. The higher ups at Sprint and the people at HP/Palm are probably the only ones who know.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    sprint will have the pre3 and touchpad sometime in the coming........
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I think that if sprint doesn't get the pre3 then I'm leaving lol I love my pre, but damn I wish it had better build quality. I'm not leaving webOS though.... But wp7 is atracting my attention

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    you wont like wp7 its still beta lol even worse than the webOS ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I understand your point, but
    Coming from a Handspring Visor phone to a > Treo 270 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > a Treo Pro > Pre

The Pre was as ready as the rest on release. I would have my launch day Pre if I hadn't run over it with the Power Seat in my BMW. So I have a "30 day after launch day" Pre that has worked out well, as well as any other Smart phone, and or Treo product. I had a G1, for a few months which was horrible. I even had Sprints first Smart phone (brick) Samsung thingy, the Pre hasn't been worse than any of them.

If I were to do it again, I would take the "not ready for prime time" phone again.
    I wasn't trying to incite anybody.

I was serious about what i said.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    I wasn't trying to incite anybody.

I was serious about what i said.
    Pride?? ltm

Sprint | Introducing the Kyocera Echo - only from Sprint

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Summer maybe, Thats when the decide on either to stay with Wimax or go to LTE so they have a hold on any new phones as per Sprint a few days ago.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Look at it from Sprint's perspective. AT&T has the very successful IPhone and they intend to compete with the Pre, CES 2009 Best of Show. High expectations for the launch, I'm sure. Unfortunately, the Pre isn't available until June and, once launched, sales don't meet market (i.e. analysts) expectations. Then comes the sudden flood of returned not-ready-for-prime-time devices. Also, Sprint has a large inventory of unsold phones (meaning drain on cashflow). And, to top it off, they aren't sure Palm will remain an ongoing, viable business, due to Palm being for sale and the outcome of any sale, whether it would be purchased by another firm to continue as a subsidiary, a division (remember when LG bought Zenith TV), or purchased for Palm's intellectual property.

I suspect Sprint, like any other carrier that wants to grow the subscriber base, decided to change course and promote Android very heavily to keep customers who have the 12 month upgrade availability locked into 2 year contracts with new EVOs and (then Epics) and use them to attract new subscribers.

In this situation, if I were a Sprint Executive, I would take a long, hard look before I jumped right back into to Webos. I would want to know HP's intentions and long term strategy for Palm and Webos. But, that is my take on past history.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I've speculated that, despite protestations that the carrier picks the phones the wish to carry, that Sprint had been treated like the red headed step child by Palm and now (probably) HP.

I "speculate" that, after years of loyalty to Palm, they were handed a "not ready for prime time player" and turned into defacto beta testers. Then, when their 6 month exclusivity was up, the cleaned up version in the form of the Plus series went to Verizon, who used it largely to sell Android and other phones (if you accept the word of users on this group who mostly say Verizon tried to talk them out of the Pre). Verizon's reward? The Pre 2! ATT is not quite the evil phone empire, but they have the iPhone. What do they need the Pre for?

Now the Pre3 is supposed to come out in CDMA (strongly rumored to be headed for Verizon so they can use it to sell more Android) and unlocked GSM.

I think there is something about Sprint that made Palm want to use them as a whipping boy, then hand the better stuff to the bigger companies. So, as you can see, I can speculate with the best of them. But, starting from Plus then going to 2, can anyone share the actual Gospel of why Sprint customers have been left hanging with 1st gen Pre's?

Thanks!
    Cuz there Lame!