Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I got an used sprint pre as a backup phone(so its unactivated and will remain so) and I am trying to install palm's profile bypass tool. I have tried many times to put it into recovery mode following the instructions on Palm site and on this forum. It simply wont go into recovery mode. Any other way to make this happen ? Such as a ##code at the phone screen(making an emergency call from the sign into profile screen?)

Tried the following and every variation with it:
    --With battery removed, hold up-volume on phone and plug it in to pc
    --when the big question mark shows up, continue to hold down the button --and insert the battery
    --when the USB symbol appears on the phone, release the button.
    Also tried option+sym+u
    option+sym+r, works but it simply restarts it.

Palm pre drive installs fine on computer but wont see a USB mode. My normal pre is immediately recognized from the doctor screen for example.

Thanks,
    It should be plugged in to the charger, via an outlet when you do that and not plugged into the PC, until you get that USB symbol.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    It should be plugged in to the charger, via an outlet when you do that and not plugged into the PC, until you get that USB symbol.

Sent from my eVo
    Thanks, tried that too already, it keeps booting to the sign on screen, the darn USB screen never shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by louboy23 View Post
    Tried the following and every variation with it:
    --With battery removed, hold up-volume on phone and plug it in to pc
    --when the big question mark shows up, continue to hold down the button --and insert the battery
    --when the USB symbol appears on the phone, release the button.
    when you put the battery back in, try to do it immediately after plugging the usb cord into the phone (usb cord connecting computer to pre/pixi). dont wait for the question mark to show up.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    when you put the battery back in, try to do it immediately after plugging the usb cord into the phone (usb cord connecting computer to pre/pixi). dont wait for the question mark to show up.
    Yep yep, tried that too lol, even had it lingering at the edge ready to push it in as soon as i had plugged in the usb cable. At this point I think the only way would be if someone knew of a native code i could enter at the screen.
    Yep yep, tried that too lol, even had it lingering at the edge ready to push it in as soon as i had plugged in the usb cable. At this point I think the only way would be if someone knew of a native code i could enter at the screen.
    are you sure your volume up button is functioning?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    are you sure your volume up button is functioning?
    Unfortunately I have no way of knowing if thats working or not. Even in emergency call mode it doesnt let you adjust volume, so it is very possible that it is not.
    Unfortunately I have no way of knowing if thats working or not. Even in emergency call mode it doesnt let you adjust volume, so it is very possible that it is not.
    hmm, cant think of anything else to try, but ill post this to bump the thread in hopes someone can help ya out.
    You can go to the developer.palm.com site to get the activation bypass tool to skip all that first use stuff provisionally and test out the up volume button. My money is on that the volume button is broken.

Do make sure you are:

1. take out battery
    2. hold down up volume button and instert battery.
    3. still holding down the volume button insert the usb cable to the device.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    You can go to the developer.palm.com site to get the activation bypass tool to skip all that first use stuff provisionally and test out the up volume button. My money is on that the volume button is broken.

Do make sure you are:

1. take out battery
    2. hold down up volume button and instert battery.
    3. still holding down the volume button insert the usb cable to the device.
    Unfortunately, you still have to get your device into recovery mode to be able to use the activation bypass tool. Palm's instructions also swap steps #2 and #3 from above.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    Unfortunately, you still have to get your device into recovery mode to be able to use the activation bypass tool. Palm's instructions also swap steps #2 and #3 from above.
    Yeah, I did what both of you mentioned. I bet this up button is dead, so was hoping for some trick besides one that involves holding that up volume button down.
    Pixi lets you use "R" instead of volume up (because it's hard to press the volume button with the cover off), have you tried with your Pre?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FordPrefect View Post
    Pixi lets you use "R" instead of volume up (because it's hard to press the volume button with the cover off), have you tried with your Pre?
    Yep, on the pre it allows you to do a reboot, but not recovery mode. It would allow me to go into USB mode by using option+sym+U, but not at the sign on screen.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Thanks Rod, I had been to that article before(very comprehensive!), this phone falls into the "Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery" of your methods. I had avoided it bc it was fairly out of my range. I gave it a shot last nite, downloaded all the programs, but I got stuck and confused on getting that Unix prompt, didn't know what program to download for that or how to get to it on the phone. That Putty program wouldnt see the device.
    Yep, on the pre it allows you to do a reboot, but not recovery mode. It would allow me to go into USB mode by using option+sym+U, but not at the sign on screen.
    No, I apologise for not being clearer. Not "Opt+Sym+R" but replace "Volume UP" with "R" in the reboot sequence.

1. Remove battery
    2. Hold down "R" key
    3. Re-insert battery
    4. Plug in AC adapter
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thanks all for the input, bottom line this phone had problems. Tried activating it on my 2nd line as a last resort test and all advanced techs with their codes could not even reset the phone or restore it, after being activated. Oh well, got another 1 from ebay that 'looks' good.