Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    Is the $7 Sprint insurance worth it for an original Pre? I have a stress fracture originating from the USB port, but the phone's still working. When it's upgrade time, will that $7 insurance do me any good or should I cancel it immediately?

    Thanks,

    Lawrence
  2. #2  
    The Sprint insurance has a 30day notice from the date of damage. If you pay $100 they will send a new/refurbished unit within 24 hours. So, I took advantage since it will need to hold me till Pre3. I thought I use before they ran out of units.
  3.    #3  
    Now that they've run out of Pre's, is it worth holding onto the insurance? or will it work if/when they stock Pre3's?

    Lawrence
  4. #4  
    They have not run out of them. I got mine replaced 3 weeks ago free. If you don't want that usb-cracked phone, take it to a corporate store and get a free replacement too.

    As for Pre 3, probably not. If they were going to upgrade you to a better phone, they'd have given ppl EVO/Epic. But all you get if you don't want a Pre is a Pixi or Hero. Someone got offered an LG phone. But nothing above grade.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  5. #5  
    Insurance not really worth it on a smartphone that you can buy on eBay for less than the deductible, IMO.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  6. #6  
    Mine's been replaced 4 times by Sprint because of hardware faults, so I'd say the $7/month was totally worth it for me.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    Now that they've run out of Pre's, is it worth holding onto the insurance? or will it work if/when they stock Pre3's?

    Lawrence
    Where do people keep hearing they ran out of Pres? They are just listed as out of stock on most of those sites because they aren't selling any new Pres anymore. Plenty of refurbs out there.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  8. #8  
    the 7 insurance is worth every penny unless you dont return your phone for 2 to 3 whole years , even then its woth having just in case something stupid happens . just like car insurance , its not a bad thing to have !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    the 7 insurance is worth every penny unless you dont return your phone for 2 whole years , even then its woth having just in case something stupid happens . just like car insurance , its not a bad thing to have !
    Not necessarily.

    An original Pre is somewhere around $130ish on eBay right now, supposedly brand new. For the sake of argument, I'll round up to $150.

    Deductible is $100, with a $7 a month premium.

    So basically, if you've been paying for the insurance on your Pre from launch until now, you'd have paid 19 months of insurance, totalling $133 dollars alone. On top of that, you'd be paying the $100 deductible, for a total of $233 to replace the device right now.

    So that's $233 vs $150, which is a simple decision to me, personally.

    Now, the Pre is more fragile than some phones, so that might influence someone, and it depends on if you're accident prone or not, but with the rate at which these devices depreciate these days, after a certain amount of time (depending on the phone of course), you're going to end up paying much more via insurance.

    It used to be even worse on Sprint when the new phone every year program was still being run, because after something like 9 months you'd have been spending more money on the insurance than the cost of upgrading your phone, and you would be able to upgrade as a new customer after the 12 months was up.

    But again, if people are more accident prone (like my family, who goes through a new phone practically every month, it seems), it's obviously worth the money.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/14/2011 at 06:11 PM.
  10. #10  
    With Sprint, you know you're walking out with a phone either then or getting it shipped to you next day. Free.

    With ebay/craigslist, first you have to find the phone. Hope to hell its in good condition, knowing if it isn't you're on a return debacle (when you can just give the phone back to Sprint). Then shipping/meeting.

    Plus, you'll have to remember to divert that $7 in a fund every month so you're not scrambling for $100 when you need another phone stat.

    For me, it's worth it. If you live in a big city or like dealing with sellers, drop it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not necessarily.

    An original Pre is somewhere around $130ish on eBay right now, supposedly brand new. For the sake of argument, I'll round up to $150.

    Deductible is $100, with a $7 a month premium.

    So basically, if you've been paying for the insurance on your Pre from launch until now, you'd have paid 19 months of insurance, totalling $133 dollars alone. On top of that, you'd be paying the $100 deductible, for a total of $233 to replace the device right now.

    So that's $233 vs $150, which is a simple decision to me, personally.

    Now, the Pre is more fragile than some phones, so that might influence someone, and it depends on if you're accident prone or not, but with the rate at which these devices depreciate these days, after a certain amount of time (depending on the phone of course), you're going to end up paying much more via insurance.

    It used to be even worse on Sprint when the new phone every year program was still being run, because after something like 9 months you'd have been spending more money on the insurance than the cost of upgrading your phone, and you would be able to upgrade as a new customer after the 12 months was up.

    But again, if people are more accident prone (like my family, who goes through a new phone practically every month, it seems), it's obviously worth the money.
    if the phone goes out they will replace it free ! if you break it then i would rather have the insurance . what if i dont have 150 to buy a phone on line but i can come up with 100 alot easier than 150 .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  12. #12  
    I have the same crack on my Pre which I brought to the Sprint repair shop yesterday. I also have a bigger problem with inability to listen to phone calls which is unrelated but it sucks! Without question or even checking out the phone, they are sending me a refurb by tomorrow, no deductible required. This is only my second time since my launch day Pre, not as bad as some have had it. That insurance overall has been worth it, especially dealing with a build quality and defect rate like this one. Hang in there my friend, it will all be worth it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbonizio View Post
    I have the same crack on my Pre which I brought to the Sprint repair shop yesterday. I also have a bigger problem with inability to listen to phone calls which is unrelated but it sucks! Without question or even checking out the phone, they are sending me a refurb by tomorrow, no deductible required. This is only my second time since my launch day Pre, not as bad as some have had it. That insurance overall has been worth it, especially dealing with a build quality and defect rate like this one. Hang in there my friend, it will all be worth it.
    yes i agree !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  14. #14  
    If you guys are getting your phones replaced for free, then it isn't the insurance that's covering the replacement, it's the warranty. Insurance replacements require payment of a $100 deductible per incident. Sprint does not have the option of waiving this fee because the insurance is handled by a company other than Sprint, Asurion.

    The $7 a month charge pays for "Total Equipment Protection," which is both extended warranty service and insurance packaged together. You guys are utilizing the extended warranty part of that, assuming your devices are not covered by the original factory warranty.

    You can purchase either service alone for only $4 a month. Extended warranty coverage is called ESRP (Equipment Service and Repair Program) and covers manufacturer defects beyond the standard warranty period. Insurance is called ERP (Equipment Replacement Program) and covers loss, theft, and physical or liquid damage. The insurance carries the $100 deductible and can only be used three times per a consecutive 12-month period.

    So if you aren't worried about breaking or losing the phone yourself, but still want extended warranty protection against faulty products (I say if you know a product is faulty, don't buy it--but whatever), then save yourself $36 a year and call Sprint, ask them to remove insurance and keep ESRP.

    Or if you're fairly confident that the manufacturer defects will show themselves during the included warranty period of the device (1 year for most devices) then you don't really need ESRP either.

    Personally, I'm pretty sure that if there is a defect with my Pixi, it will show itself within 1 year. And seeing as how I can buy a Pixi on eBay for less than $100, the insurance is not at all worth considering. So that's $7 a month I don't pay, or $84 a year. That $84 I save can buy me a new Pixi if it happens to crap out on me the day after the warranty expires, which by that point will be a fairly safe risk to take.

    So IMO, ESRP is not worth the cost unless you are buying a phone you know is going to break after one year (and why would you), and ERP is not worth it unless you are prone to breaking or losing expensive phones.
    Last edited by Syndil; 02/15/2011 at 03:54 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    If you guys are getting your phones replaced for free, then it isn't the insurance that's covering the replacement, it's the warranty. Insurance replacements require payment of a $100 deductible per incident. Sprint does not have the option of waiving this fee because the insurance is handled by a company other than Sprint, Asurion.

    The $7 a month charge pays for "Total Equipment Protection," which is both extended warranty service and insurance packaged together. You guys are utilizing the extended warranty part of that, assuming your devices are not covered by the original factory warranty.

    You can purchase either service alone for only $4 a month. Extended warranty coverage is called ESRP (Equipment Service and Repair Program) and covers manufacturer defects beyond the standard warranty period. Insurance is called ERP (Equipment Replacement Program) and covers loss, theft, and physical or liquid damage. The insurance carries the $100 deductible and can only be used three times per a consecutive 12-month period.

    So if you aren't worried about breaking or losing the phone yourself, but still want extended warranty protection against faulty products (I say if you know a product is faulty, don't buy it--but whatever), then save yourself $36 a year and call Sprint, ask them to remove insurance and keep ESRP.

    Or if you're fairly confident that the manufacturer defects will show themselves during the included warranty period of the device (1 year for most devices) then you don't really need ESRP either.

    Personally, I'm pretty sure that if there is a defect with my Pixi, it will show itself within 1 year. And seeing as how I can buy a Pixi on eBay for less than $100, the insurance is not at all worth considering. So that's $7 a month I don't pay, or $84 a year. That $84 I save can buy me a new Pixi if it happens to crap out on me the day after the warranty expires, which by that point will be a fairly safe risk to take.

    So IMO, ESRP is not worth the cost unless you are buying a phone you know is going to break after one year (and why would you), and ERP is not worth it unless you are prone to breaking or losing expensive phones.

    I got my Pre replaced with insurance back in November 2010. When I went in the store, the guy told me that the only way you pay the $100 deductible is if you have water damage. So, mine was just physical damage, not water damage, and I got a refurbed Pre right on the spot without paying a penny! Insurance is definitely worth it. Oh, and since I was in awe that I didn't have to pay anything, the Sprint rep told me Sprint just changed their policy on insurance replacements. Remember this was in Novemeber 2010. So maybe before that, you had to pay the $100 deduct regardless of how your Pre broke.
    Soup.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  16. #16  
    From what I saw, Sprint does not actually sell the two insurance components as separate purchases anymore. I know they bill it "separately" (it's on the same line and one price, the description is what is separated - one is $4, the other $3), so it may be a hidden issue thing, you may be able to get one removed.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  17. #17  
    I've had many Pre's (defects, touchscreen disables, etc). I've yet to pay any money at all (other than the cost which I think is $7 monthly). I've had new Pre's and refurbs but I've yet to pay any deductible at all and I've had the Pre since launch day. Last time it was replaced was back in December. Considering the number of Pre's that I've gone through, it has been worth it to me.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  18. staeit's Avatar
    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #18  
    Lol hi I enjoy not having to pay extra because my phone is so unreliable.

    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I got my Pre replaced with insurance back in November 2010. When I went in the store, the guy told me that the only way you pay the $100 deductible is if you have water damage. So, mine was just physical damage, not water damage, and I got a refurbed Pre right on the spot without paying a penny! Insurance is definitely worth it.
    No, what your rep did was fudge some stuff in the computer and made it seem like the Pre was damaged due to manufacturing defects, so that he could replace it under warranty coverage.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I've had many Pre's (defects, touchscreen disables, etc). I've yet to pay any money at all (other than the cost which I think is $7 monthly). I've had new Pre's and refurbs but I've yet to pay any deductible at all and I've had the Pre since launch day. Last time it was replaced was back in December. Considering the number of Pre's that I've gone through, it has been worth it to me.
    Again, it was not the insurance you were utilizing, it was the warranty coverage. As I said, insurance is handled by a third-party, Asurion, and Sprint is not able to waive the deductible on that. If your phone is lost or stolen, then you will definitely have to use insurance, and Sprint will not just give you a refurbed Pre on the spot. Sounds like every issue you had was a manufacturing defect that would have been covered under ESRP, not something that would have required ERP.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions