Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    launch Day/month Pre- owners, are you dropping your TEP, hoping that your phone holds out until June when the Pre3 launches on Sprint ?
    -Andy
    Fire Sale 32Gb TouchPad
    VZW Off contract Pixi Plus, like a boss
    Release day Palm Pre - Retired June 2011
    I was thinking about dropping the insurance on my launch month Sprint Pre, but I was afraid I might jinx it so I guess I'll hang in there paying the insurance for a few more months, lol.
    Is the deductible for that $100? You could use TEP to get an Evo and sell it on ebay for enough $ to buy more than one used Pre.
    i would rather pay it and only have to pay 100 for another phone if something happened to this one .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I have used TEP to get multiple free replacement Centros and a single free replacement Pre, so I have no intention of ever dropping TEP!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I was thinking about doing just that and having some independent shop replace the digitizer because the screen is cracked from the USB door and creeping into the actual touchscreen part. Everything still works so at this point is is a cosmetic issue that will grow into a functional one. Today I walked into Sprint store and they opened a ticket to get me a new (refurb of course) device. I'm thinking that TEP is worth keeping a bit longer. Maybe I'll change my mind in a couple days. Hope not to.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    but how good are the replacement Pre-'s these days. I have broken speak but I am wondering if it's even worth the hassle to replace it (re-install Preware, patches, etc)
    -Andy
    Fire Sale 32Gb TouchPad
    VZW Off contract Pixi Plus, like a boss
    Release day Palm Pre - Retired June 2011
    thank god my launch-day Pre minus's power button stopped working, because i used my insurance to get a new one. if not for that i would be done with webOS for the time being. not impressed with the new phones at all, but if HP is really announcing new hardware every 2 months, i can probably hold off till i get my 4" slab phone wish.
    Well, despite my massive bad luck with the pre (a handful of handset replacements - all under warranty and free) I gave TEP the axe a long time ago.

When the price for a used Pre dropped into the sub 100$ range I just couldn't see a reason to keep TEP and pay the montly fee + 100$ if I needed a replacement. I can replace my handset cheaply if necessary, and my most recent Pre seems to be pretty solid (outside of a small crack developing from the USB door and a few scratches that I can blame on my 21 month old - nothing worth replacing the handset over).

Speaking of which, -MAN- is the Pre a lot of hardware for 30$-60$ (the average pricing I'm seeing through ebay and local craigslist). I mean, even if it wasn't used as a phone - it's a pretty damn capable wifi equipped internet browsing/MP3 player/portable video player/ebook reader/gaming device (even SNES emulation) with a fairly large 8gb drive... Back in the earlier 2000's this thing would have been the holy-fricken-grail. Back in the 90's it would have been considered proof of ALIEN technology. Now it's worth less than a good meal for 2 at a local restaurant. As a kid I used to wonder if technology would ever advance to a point in my lifetime where I would literally marvel at how different the world around me had become. Well, I've reached that point.
    I pay for it just like any other insurance. It's not that big of a deal to me and only a few dollars that won't make or break me for bankruptcy. LOL!

I tend to be clumsy and this way I'm cover with anything.
    Going to keep it. Never know when you are going to need it. Still going to hold out for the Pre 3.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I dropped my TEP after the first time I had to replace my '09 Pre for 100 and then got 2 on ebay for same price in similar condition as my refurb. I have 5 lines = $420 per year. For right now, that is way too much when I can replace my phones (3 Pres, 2 Pixis) foraround $250 for all of them.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I just got my Pre replaced a month ago via TEP. Phone is decent, the slider could have been a little tighter, but since I didn't have to pay the deductible, I'm not complaining. It should hopefully last until there is an announcement or I end up with a Evo Shift.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Dropped it the day I heard Sprint was no longer selling the Pre. I have 2 friends with a Sprint pre who are moving on and will give me their used pre. As my pre has the usb door cracks creeping onto the screen I'm hoping to make theirs last until Sprint carries the Pre3.

What if Sprint doesn't have a webos option moving forward? Maybe android will be palatable by the time my pre finally fails. Losing the premier credit just adds insult to injury.
    just replaced my Sprint pre in early january and they gave me a brand new one for all of my headaches. is in great condition, no oreo and has a silver indicator light which I thought was interesting. No complaints but unfortunately I just bought an iphone 4 and am leaving for VZW...sorry folks but I just couldn't wait for Sprint to maybe get a webOS phone that was maybe coming out "in the coming weeks" that was maybe going to be an upgrade from the previous pre...even though it will be out-dated by the time it arrives in the summer. Keep an eye out on Ebay...I just might be selling it soon
    Ummm, this thread has me perplexed. Why is everyone saying that they have to pay a $100 deductible? Short of soaking your Pre, Sprint will replace it for Free.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Replacement under insurance rather than the warranty used to cost $100. It no longer does.

That's where the confusion comes from.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Replacement under insurance rather than the warranty used to cost $100. It no longer does.

That's where the confusion comes from.
    Not true as I understand it. Asurion (the warranty company) charges 100$ for any replacement under their 7$/month warranty. If your phone gets replaced for free at sprint, it means they are replacing it under the original phone warranty from palm thanks to a known manufacturer defect (I've had a handful of -free- replacement handsets because of this fact, shattered internal touchscreens). Unless something has drastically changed without my knowledge, this is still the case (I could be wrong of course).

At this point, the warranty on my pre is expired (I believe it was only good for a year as I recall), so any replacement would fall under the 100$ charge, which means 7$/month + 100$ for replacement isn't worth it when I can pick up a nearly perfect replacement second-hand for 30-60$.

Hell, even if you're right and it -is- only 7$/month with no deductible for replacement I'm still not shelling out. If the pre dies I can replace it so cheaply that insurance isn't worth it.
    Seems like many people do not understand how TEP works. TEP is two services bundled together: insurance from Asurion, and extended warranty coverage. Insurance covers damage that is your fault (including water damage), or theft or loss of the phone. Insurance replacements require a $100 deductible. Sprint cannot waive this deductible since they are not the insurance company. If you are getting your phone replaced for free by Sprint, then it is being done under warranty coverage. Whether or not you are using the extended warranty coverage provided by TEP depends on whether your phone is still covered under the factory warranty that it came with. If it's less than a year old, then it should still be under the factory warranty, in which case TEP did nothing for you.
    Touchscreens are a fad.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast