Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I just bought a Pre off of ebay! It's my first WebOS phone. If the new phones are impressive and reasonably priced I'll upgrade to that once my contract is up. Anything I need to know about the Pre? I already know I'm going to install Homebrew.
    Hi trickyhero, and Welcome to the PreCentral forums, webOS, and your new addictions!

You'll find a lot of great threads for new users in our "Tips" section. A great first read is the following: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

If you have questions about anything, just ask. There are a LOT of great people here willing to lend a hand!

Welcome to the P|C site
    you'll want to upgrade when the pre3 comes out i promise !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by trickyhero View Post
    I just bought a Pre off of ebay! It's my first WebOS phone. If the new phones are impressive and reasonably priced I'll upgrade to that once my contract is up. Anything I need to know about the Pre? I already know I'm going to install Homebrew.
    Welcome, Tricky.

You have ALOT of reading to do. Enjoy.
    were you already on a contract? It's always good when someone can grab a phone off of ebay and avoid a comtract so they can grab the new hotness on the first day it is for sale.

welcome!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Well, see ya around guys. And yes I'm off the contract and am getting a Pre for about $20. Thanks for the info guys, cya.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    start with the Tips section on Precentral. There's some good stuff in there
    * Get a touchstone if you don't have one already
    * Install Preware
    * Install the alternative kernel and check to what frequency you can overclock - many Pre's can be overclocked to 1 GHz - some can't go much beyond the default 500.
    * Turn down screen brightness - I have at at minimum which is plenty bright enough for most indoor situations - I turn it up in sunlight. Reduce email update frequence to an interval that is good enough but not more - same goes for Twitter etc... Switch to Airplane mode whenever you don't need or want to be available (much faster than switching off and later rebooting and saves a lot of battery).
    * enjoy :-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    in the app catalog you should buy and app called "Preware Homebrew Documentation" which is the documentation for lots of good homebrew goodness that can be installed from the no-cost Preware application...
    All of the other members and I are definitely willing to answer any questions you have. I recommend taking Cantaffordit's advice and looking into Preware.