1.    #1  
    Hello,
    So heres my problem, I'm with at&t and i'm due for an upgrade .The palm pre plus looks like a godly phone, but i can't pay for the data plan. With at&t is there any possible way to get it and not have to use a data plan.
  2.    #2  
    Also if I only use it for wifi can I still use it as a phone?
    I believe that because the phone is so data intensive you must purchase a data plan to run it. I think that you could still use it on wifi but not as a phone after you move on to something else. I may be wrong but I think I heard this on this forum somewhere.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Actually, Sprint has better data plans.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    in order to have voice service, they will require you to have a data plan. If you want to use it as a wifi iPod without voice or sms service, you can skip the data plan. It's all or nothing with all carriers now.
    Quote Originally Posted by gingersnap20088 View Post
    Also if I only use it for wifi can I still use it as a phone?
    sorry, but the answer is no on any US carrier.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    sorry, but the answer is no on any US carrier.
    That isn't true. Tmobile pay as you go and even more plus plans let you do whatever you want. Even if you go with no data plan they have an option to let you occasionally pay $1.50 and get data for a day for that rare time you want data on the go with no Wifi, but don't have a data plan. The only downside is they won't subsidize your phone for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ualdayan View Post
    That isn't true. Tmobile pay as you go and even more plus plans let you do whatever you want. Even if you go with no data plan they have an option to let you occasionally pay $1.50 and get data for a day for that rare time you want data on the go with no Wifi, but don't have a data plan. The only downside is they won't subsidize your phone for you.
    Let me re-phrase that. Any US carrier from which you can (or previously could) actually buy a webOS phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ualdayan View Post
    Let me see if I've got this right ... I've just won a Pre2 (unlocked) ... I've never had a smartphone ... I don't really want to pay for a "data plan" ... but I do want to use it as a phone (for voice & text) ... and I'd like to surf via wifi ...

So ... you're suggesting I could do this ...

1. Get a T-mobile SIM card

2. Sign up for a "$1.49 Web DayPass" ... and use that to get my webOS profile established and then surf internet on days when I'm out of wifi area but within cell service area

Can I set up my Pre2 to only use wifi unless/until I specifically want it to use the "data plan"? (ie. so that I only pay the $1.49 when I intentionally want to use the "data plan")

I'm wondering if I have to get my voice/text service via T-mobile then also ... or I could get that via WalMart? That seems unlikely ...

Obviously, I'm a cheap dude ... looking for best way to get the most value out of this Pre2 ...

note: My current situation is that I'm paying $90/mo for virtually unlimited voice & text with Verizon on 2 phones (mine and my wife's) ... I know with my new Pre2 that I'll have to switch carriers (I understand that it's a GSM phone and Verizon is CDMA) ... I'm already bum'd to be paying $90/mo for the voice/text ... if there's a carrier that will do voice/text/data for <$90/mo on 2 phones, that's what I'm looking for ...

THANKS for any pointers ...

ps. Rats ... I'm new to this forum and it won't let me post links yet ... I'd like to post links to Amazon for the SIM card ... and to T-Mobile for the DayPass ...
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    A GSM Pre on T-Mobile will only have EDGE data coverage
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Sell me the GSM pre 2 . For a fair price . Problem solved.
    I didn't know that the Pre 2 had a SIM card.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    I didn't know that the Pre 2 had a SIM card.
    HP sells a Pre2 which is "unlocked" ... it's a GSM phone ... and therefore takes a SIM card (ie. if you buy this product, it does not have a SIM card in it ... just a slot for you to put a SIM card in ... so that it will work on a GSM network, such as ATT or T-mobile).

I still cant post links ... do a google search for "pre2 unlocked" and it will return a link to shopping.hp.com and the FB324AA product.
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    A GSM Pre on T-Mobile will only have EDGE data coverage
    I think that means 2.5G ... compared to the 3G data coverage that ATT offers. Lots to learn ...