1. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    The Official HP Palm Blog: Thanks (really!) for the feedback

Saw this link and must say, I'm impressed that they came out and professionally acknowledged what the Palm Nation is feeling.

I for one, am appreciative of this effort! Still want new Hardware to replace my Day1 Pre (-) . . . but glad to see HP/Palm post this
    very classy...
    Basiclly they found another way to say "in the coming months" gee this is a big update
    I don't know. I'm glad they aknowledge the complaints, and I understand why they made the decision to not support old devices.

But timing is everything here. It's a very bad idea for a company to break it's promises, say they will make it up, but without specifics.

Just phenomenally bad decision making here.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm has never been the one to shy away from feedback whether it be positive or negative.

We might not always have the answer that we can share at the time or worst the answer you don't want to hear, but we always welcome feedback.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I don't know. I'm glad they aknowledge the complaints, and I understand why they made the decision to not support old devices.

But timing is everything here. It's a very bad idea for a company to break it's promises, say they will make it up, but without specifics.

Just phenomenally bad decision making here.

Well said, not having this response prepared before yesterday seems strange. Someone on a funkatron blog said the developers were told to yank their software solutions to the 2.0 upgrade at the end of January. If so, HP had at least a week or two to prepare a response. I'm thinking they might have been worried that developers would cancel plans to come to the Feb 9th event.

Also good companies offer a solution. They are not vague and they don't say "for now we have to listen and learn" as the new head of developer relations Richard Kerris tweeted. What does he further need to learn? Whether the current outcry will die down without HP providing for Palm current customers? Whether new developers will want to develop for the summer products without a vibrant ecosystem of current developers around them?

I bought my first Apple product only 2 years ago. I have to say they have promptly supported and repaired the product as needed, I am impressed.

I am remembering also tonight the HP inkjet that I bought that crapped out on me after a year.
  7. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Palm has never been the one to shy away from feedback whether it be positive or negative.

We might not always have the answer that we can share at the time or worst the answer you don't want to hear, but we always welcome feedback.

Your 6Ts link appears to be broken???
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    it would be nice if hp had the frame of mind to think hey, we bought palm. we bought the promises that palm made to their customers. we should send updates of what will work on the older phones to them. people will be up for upgrades and this would be a great way of showing people what they will get on our newer phones and will make them want to buy them. much like apple did with ios4. some of the things wont work on the iphone 3g but they still put what would work on the update. just my thoughts.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    After all the dust has cleared and my complete disappointment abated, I feel somewhat excited about this. Sounds crazy, but it reminds me of when I had my 755, and 700 before that and knew there would be no more Palm releases of PalmOS. Yet I stuck along, doing tweaks and mods (755 ROM on the 700, which I still have), and tons of hacks and tweaks to the 755. In fact when I bought my Pre in Sept 09, I almost didn't because I looked at my 755 and was like "it does everything I need...".

I guess from this standpoint, I almost feel free. I have had Palm products for years (see my sig) and have been extremely loyal. Yet for some reason I don't feel this loyalty to the new HP phones that have WebOS on it (yet, we'll see but I doubt it).

I also feel free to really hack on my phone now, especially looking at possibly putting the hacked 2.0 rom on it now, since I don't have to worry about an OTA update that I wouldn't be able to use with the hack. This is assuming the developers and others with great ingenuity stay with the abandoned Pre's and keep hacking. I feel better about my decision after Plussing another Pre for Sprint (without modding my original) to buy another Verizon Pre Plus with a bad ESN as a backup to my Plussed phone. It's like back to my PalmOS days....plus if I see a SWEET new phone from another company, I don't feel bad if I get it, since there are no more Palms.

Kinda crazy I know.....let's see how I feel in a few more days

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    WebOS has a small user base. To compete with Android and the IPhone, that base needs to grow.

Palm/HP has chosen to place WebOS only on phones they produce. This alone limits WebOS's growth in the market.

IPhone manages this problem by developing an extremely loyal user base. Apple users are almost a cult in their devotion to everything Apple.

WebOS also has a very loyal (although relatively small) user base. I'm one of them. I love WebOS. But this decision (not to support the current user base) is definitely going to reduce the number of WebOS users and weaken loyalty from the remaining WebOS users.

I paid about $600.00 for my Palm Pre soon after its release. That is a large sum of money for me, but I felt that Palm/WebOS was the best option at the time,

Should I invest another $600.00 in another WebOS device? Will Palm/HP stop supporting it too? Or should I buy an Android device?

And what is with the OTA upgrade problems? I don't care if you upgrade my phone OTA or if you prepare a WebOSDoctor for version 2. My Pre is running at twice the stock speed with no problems. If it can't handle version 2, I can just restore the current version.

My question is "Why should I buy another WebOS device if WebOS is on the path to extinction? That is where it is heading if it does not expand to other phone manufacturers and if it does not support its user base.

I really like WebOS. I don't want it to go away, but I can see little future in it on the current path.
    I've been around long enough to know that just because someone says they "welcome my feedback" it doesn't mean they care what I have to say. In fact, it usually means they don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I've been around long enough to know that just because someone says they "welcome my feedback" it doesn't mean they care what I have to say. In fact, it usually means they don't care.
    That can be your belief but I can say internally that is not true information.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

Hello HardBeatZ how are thing in the plam multiverse ? Good I hope !!!!

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    You can say what you want, of course, but Palm & HP are quickly demonstrating to the base just how cheap talk really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    You can say what you want, of course, but Palm & HP are quickly demonstrating to the base just how cheap talk really is.
    This comes back to the second part of my original answer

"We might not always have the answer that we can share at the time or worst the answer you don't want to hear, but we always welcome feedback."

And @Shadavis08 things within Palm are going great now that the announcement is over we are quickly working towards plans for tomorrow. (tomorrow being theoretical meaning everything after today)
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

I hope you are right. In general, though, phrases like "we welcome your feedback" don't really mean much. I used to work in a restaurant and we had a suggestion/survey box by the door. We emptied it out about once a week...right into the trash. I worked there a little over 8 years and not one suggestion ever got read. I'll take HP at their word that they are working on a legitimate response to the 2.x fiasco. But if they blow it on this, I'm done with HP. They'll get a pass on the first lie, but not the second.
    They'll get a pass on the first lie, but not the second.
    I thought the second lie was "We will no longer announce hardware that isn't ready to ship"?
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    I thought the second lie was "We will no longer announce hardware that isn't ready to ship"?
    hmmm...true. Ok, we'll call that one a "misunderstanding".
    @HardbeatZ Thanks for dropping by.
    It's right up there with "I hear what you say" - which means that they can hear a noise, but don't take any meaning from it.

Actions speak louder than words. HP should have reacted to the negativity by now - even if just by answering every single post on their Facebook wall - they have no clue how to handle a PRPRPR $disaster$ $like$ $this$.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)