Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    With the anouncement yesterday that there would be no 2.0 on the Pre + and -, there was a loud outburst of "I hate HP" here for understandable reasons. I got angry at first, but then I stopped to think about it.

First, I had been spending weeks trying (unsuccessfully) to figure out how I would handle my lesson plans without Lesson Plan on Classic. Now, I'll have Classic working for as long as I have my Pre.

Second, I took a moment to reflect on the fact that my Pre - runs perfectly. No unexpected re-boots (remember the Treo, it did that all the time?), all the software works, and aside from not having lightning speed, the only functionality problem is the Too Many Cards error, which can be solved by a re-boot. Not an elegant solution, but at least it has a solution.

Third, I won't have to go months without Asphalt 5, or miss out on Sports Calendar (supposedly it wouldn't have worked with 2.0), or who knows how many other programs that would have been broken by the update.

Basically, while the new stuff looks cool, my Pre works just as well today as it did on February 8th.

My only worry is that, when my Pre eventually dies, there won't be a webOS replacement for it on Sprint, and I'll lose all my software. I only purchased the apps I did because I figured they'd all go foward with me to my new device someday. Now I'm not so sure...
    Does your PDF viewer work? Mine has been busted since the 1.4.5 update and I need it almost daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Does your PDF viewer work? Mine has been busted since the 1.4.5 update and I need it almost daily.
    Mine was broke on my Pre, when I tried to use it, right after the update. Still have my Pre, on WiFi, and still can't get it to work.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    That's weird, I just opened it and it worked fine. I almost never use it, so I had to try it to check. I have 3 .PDFs on my Pre at the moment, and all opened with no problem.
    Well HP didn't announce which carriers were getting which phones. I think it would be a huge error on Sprint's account to not pick up the Pre 3 (because of the large webOS base they already have), so cross your fingers and hope in the coming weeks (or months) that we will hear some good news!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Ya, my phone works but I don't care. Updates are exciting for users and it gives them a reason to keep their phone. WebOS 2.0 has alot of new features and I was so psyched about downloading it and using "Just Type" and having a new look and feel to my device. They say you can't run it on a Pre but they have thousands of videos testing 2.0 on the Pre saying it flies. Developers who have installed 2.0 on Pre- and Pre+ say that the device is smooth and works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    That's weird, I just opened it and it worked fine. I almost never use it, so I had to try it to check. I have 3 .PDFs on my Pre at the moment, and all opened with no problem.
    Mine works intermittently. It will work OK and then if I resize or just flip pages sometimes it will just barf and throw out a "PDF Reader encoutered an error..." message and splat I'm done looking at that PDF. I used it a lot at first - now not so much.

I thought it was phone and I have thought about doctoring but now I don't know. I had PDF Redux installed and maybe something got glitched?
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Mine works intermittently. It will work OK and then if I resize or just flip pages sometimes it will just barf and throw out a "PDF Reader encoutered an error..." message and splat I'm done looking at that PDF. I used it a lot at first - now not so much.

I thought it was phone and I have thought about doctoring but now I don't know. I had PDF Redux installed and maybe something got glitched?
    Is that homebrew? I've never done anything like that to my Pre. I'm a gearhead like most people here, but I made the decision when I got my Pre that I would run it stock, like normal people do, to prevent some of the reliability issues I've had in the past with other gadgets that I've modded. So far, no problems whatsoever.
    I can deal with no update, because i've put the leaked update on my pre minus already. and it works great aside from a few bugs that lock the device up - all o fwhich are avoidable once you find them.
    i added the patch to enable the built in virtual keyboard, and its pretty good.

what bothers me, is other people not being able to deal with it. as i'm sure you all already know, having a small userbase = small developer base = small app store. they feed off of each other in a circle... users want apps, which in turn means they want developers. conversely developers want users that will use the apps - otherwise whats the point.

hp didn't just **** off users, they ****ed off developers too. if they can market this thing and get it going big time by the end of the year (when all 3 new devices are out), and the user/developer base starts growing despite anyone who leaves in the meantime - then i'll be fine with it.

it just looks like the odds are stacked against that right now... which is what worries me.

i completely get why they wouldn't bother pushing out updates for a legacy device that you can't even buy from a carrier anymore. likewise i get why people are mad about being lied to, and the 'slap in the face' aspect - i'm one of you too. but what worries me is not being able to tell the future right now, where webOS will be come CES of 2012, is anyone's guess. and you can't really refute anyone either - its likely webOS could become the next big thing - for a long time. it could also disapear due to low sales with the new devices, no developers, and in the end no users.

i know i wont be jumping on board the pre3 wagon when its first released... i'll wait. if others decided to give it a shot, and the developer community grows, i'll certainly get onboard with that and the touchdown.

i
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    i know i wont be jumping on board the pre3 wagon when its first released... i'll wait. if others decided to give it a shot, and the developer community grows, i'll certainly get onboard with that and the touchdown.

i
    That sounds smart. webOS is the best OS in terms of UI (the way it handles mutitasking for example), but I'm just not willing to sit through another two years waiting on more apps because they decided to 'reboot' things with a new OS that the majority of hardware can't run thereby causing a tiny audience able to use any webOS 2.0 apps. If after another 3-4 years webOS has taken off, and Android is still deficient in certain ways I could always switch back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ualdayan View Post
    That sounds smart. webOS is the best OS in terms of UI (the way it handles mutitasking for example), but I'm just not willing to sit through another two years waiting on more apps because they decided to 'reboot' things with a new OS that the majority of hardware can't run thereby causing a tiny audience able to use any webOS 2.0 apps. If after another 3-4 years webOS has taken off, and Android is still deficient in certain ways I could always switch back.
    exactly.

in my case i cracked and got the pre 3 months before the Evo was released - i was holding out for an android that supported exchange remote wipe... which was the version of android the evo wound up shipping with.

but i love the pre, and homebrew community has made me really really love webos. but i'm not going to sit around for 2 more years hoping... if all signs point to awesomeness, then i'm on board. if it looks shaky come upgrade time, then i'll be going with a product thats great now. i will still keep my eye on webos, and have no problem with comeing back - just has to make sense to do so...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Well HP didn't announce which carriers were getting which phones. I think it would be a huge error on Sprint's account to not pick up the Pre 3 (because of the large webOS base they already have), so cross your fingers and hope in the coming weeks (or months) that we will hear some good news!
    I thought about this... Sprint has SOLD about 70 or 80% of the Pres "out there". But, how many of them are still in use? And, of those NOT in use, how many of them are WebOS fans, just waiting for a chance to come back to the fold?

So, is there really a market with Sprint customers that makes it worth it for HP to sell through Sprint? With its success with EVO and Epic, the new EVO Shift, and some 3G Android phones, would Sprint really care to take a chance on WebOS again?

I dont like it, but I can deal if I never get 2.X on my Pre. And, if Sprint actually gets a WebOS device, I'll get it eventually. If they don't, I will switch to Android and accept the drawbacks, but, I'm not switching carriers to follow H/Palm.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me