Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 146
  1.    #1  
    So Jon Rubenstein told Engadget that they will be offering us something when the new phones come out, since they know they are leaving us out in the cold.

    This is good, although they should have more details instead of being vague.


    What kind of offer do you think it will be?
    Assuming Sprint gets the Pre 3, what kind of offer does HP have to make you, to upgrade to a Pre 3?
  2. #2  
    All they will have to do for me is get the Pre3 on Sprint. If they want to throw anything else in, I won't turn it down.
  3. #3  
    I think most people would happily move to the newer hardware if it is available on their carrier. Te Sprint users are in the most difficult situation because there currently isn't anything to migrate to. All those launch day Pres are going on 2 years old and people are unhappy with battery life and build quality. They've all been dying to use their upgrades, and most Pre users (me included) are so ready for better hardware. Even the Pre2 would be a major improvement.

    I think most power users will want the Pre3, and the Veer will appeal to the Pixi owners - but they could offer the Pre2 on VZW and AT&T and most users would be delighted. The the challenge is they need to make it know that they inted to launch something on Sprint ( which I really believe they will do.)

    So the "bribe" deal could be very simle, as long as they can take care of the current Sprint users.

    -IMHO
  4. #4  
    For me, it's not just about the update. It's the broken promises, which there were quite a few of today, and the lack of OTA updates was just the tip of the broken promise iceberg.

    To answer the question, they'd have to do a whole heck of a lot, starting with actually coming clean about why the didn't release the update OTA. You can find a webosdr for a sprint pre with about 90 seconds of googling. There's no real debate about whether or not the update is doable. It's already been done and they don't want to release it.

    Once they've come clean about their lies (and apologized for being liars) they need to get the Pre 2 or 3 on Sprint.

    Then, they need to either price it so that it would be $100 or less on contract, or give it a big enough discount to the people they screwed over with their lies that it brings it down to there for people who already own a Pre or Pixi.

    If they do all of that (which we all know they'd never do) then I might consider staying with HP. Otherwise, HP goes on my blacklist, right next to Home Depot, and I never buy so much as an ink cartridge from HP again.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  5. #5  
    I'll be totally honest I'm not sure they can do anything to keep me.

    There are no carriers left in the UK who sell any of the Palm phones so whatever HP decide to offer there is little chance we'll be offered it. The Pre was only on sale in the UK for around 5 months so I doubt any carrier would touch it with a barge pole.

    For me the only thing left to do is see what Apple come out with in the summer and make a decision from there.

    I really like webOS and think it is a great piece of software just the hardware of the original Pres really really let it down.

    To answer the OP's question I think money off though I'm not sure what that value would be. Currently O2 will buy your Pre off you for 21 so at most I'd expect them to say 25 off a Pre 3. Frankly that isn't enough for me to stay.
  6. #6  
    The broken promise on the OTA is the really bad part. Some of us are still going to be on contract when this thing drops in the summer (thanks a bunch VZW for dropping your early renewal policy) plus we're already going to be hurting not being able to have webOS 2 while the Pre 2 is sitting on the same network with it and similar enough specs to our Pre Plus'.

    Either pay my ETF to sign a new contract or discount the device to a new 2-year contract price for current in contract Pre/Pixi owners. That's the kind of bribe i want to see.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Either pay my ETF to sign a new contract or discount the device to a new 2-year contract price for current in contract Pre/Pixi owners. That's the kind of bribe i want to see.

    I'd take paying my ETF or setting the price so low the ETF didn't matter as an alternate price point, but they'd still have to come clean and apologize. Money is great, but regardless of price, I'm not inclined to do business with any company this dishonest. Even Microsoft doesn't pull this kind of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    For me, it's not just about the update. It's the broken promises, which there were quite a few of today, and the lack of OTA updates was just the tip of the broken promise iceberg.

    To answer the question, they'd have to do a whole heck of a lot, starting with actually coming clean about why the didn't release the update OTA. You can find a webosdr for a sprint pre with about 90 seconds of googling. There's no real debate about whether or not the update is doable. It's already been done and they don't want to release it.

    Once they've come clean about their lies (and apologized for being liars) they need to get the Pre 2 or 3 on Sprint.

    Then, they need to either price it so that it would be $100 or less on contract, or give it a big enough discount to the people they screwed over with their lies that it brings it down to there for people who already own a Pre or Pixi.

    If they do all of that (which we all know they'd never do) then I might consider staying with HP. Otherwise, HP goes on my blacklist, right next to Home Depot, and I never buy so much as an ink cartridge from HP again.
    Nice summary. For me, I think the minimum is a free Pre 3 with 3 new touchstones to replace the old ones from my Pre Minus.
    Brian
    Will it be worth sticking to HP Web OS? I hope so but need to see the right hardware and software.
  9. #9  
    still sticking to palm? only if they give me the new hardware for 100€(less is appreciated) after i send them my old hardware and even then i would still sell the new phone to get me something else. i get more upset by the minute. webOS as it is now is ok, with patches even really nice, great community but the hardware is really really bad. i hoped for a 3,7" landscape slider since typing on pre is not that good. first i thought "you will get used to it" but after typing 10-15 emails on a daily basis, messenger for 1-2 hours nearly everyday it still didnt get better.
  10. #10  
    Gimme my expiring sprint upgrade through the hp store

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  11. apd123's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre Booth Guy View Post
    Nice summary. For me, I think the minimum is a free Pre 3 with 3 new touchstones to replace the old ones from my Pre Minus.
    I wouldn't hold your breath.
  12. #12  
    honestly nothing. i can get out of my contract for like $50 soon. I'm willing to pay it just to move on. The update was just gonna make the month or so slightly more palatable but it wasn't like the reason i want to go. The phones just aren't my cup of tea.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatre Booth Guy View Post
    Nice summary. For me, I think the minimum is a free Pre 3 with 3 new touchstones to replace the old ones from my Pre Minus.
    Well, your old touchstones will still work, or so it seems. Of course, this is all academic. You know as well as I do that HP isn't going to do anything meaningful for us at all. It's going to be 5 or 6 months before any of this stuff is even ready for release, and relationship between hp/palm and sprint is obviously not so good.

    If figured the best we can hope for is a slightly better discount when a new palm hits sprint a year from now (we'd be lucky for $50), and a more likely "incentive" would be something like a free case or car charger if we buy the most expensive phone HPalm makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  14. #14  
    If I think of the other "cool" discount actions HP is offering for notebooks and such, I guess their offer fore pre1 owners will be: A coupon code to get a 100$ off list price on a pre2 once the pre3 is ready to ship. <<edited by staff>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/06/2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: unnecessary
  15. #15  
    My contract isn't over until June. The full family is out of contract by August. My problem is that I like the phone I have and no smart phone out there has peaked my interest. There are so many things that I'd be giving up if I moved to another smart phone, but other things I'd gain. I don't know if the gain would compensate for the programs that I've lost and I really hate having to learn a new device.
  16. #16  
    Sad part is they don't want to make us happy....

    They want us to buy a new phone under their terms.
  17. pico23's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #17  
    $100 ON CONTRACT?

    no, it would need to be $100 OFF contract with the turning in of your old Pre, cracked screen from USB port and all!

    Sorry but the Pre 3 is a $100 on contract phone at regular price. Folks, Apple and Android changed the pricing game. If you people want to pay $100 as an upgrade with a contract through Sprint, I say you're fools. Free on contract with the turn in of a Pre Minus seems fair.

    The Pre3 would be fine off contract for $100-200. I'm sure HP would be taking a $300+ loss on it, but consider there aren't many of us left and people who own Pre 3s are likely to buy touchstones, apps, and a touchpad. Not to mention they don't have to rework webOS, and can devote effort to future updates, not back tracking on legacy devices!
  18. #18  
    Yeah Racing, that's the point of being a business. Stinks, don't it?

    They know they have a ton of devoted, die-hard fans who will upgrade.

    HP would have to have a phone on Sprint and a good discount fore me to stick around. I'm not paying a premium for Verizon and AT&T is useless in my area.

    I have no issue sticking with my Pre- until it dies a horrible screaming death, so they've not even cost themselves a sale.
  19. japark's Avatar
    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    #19  
    Lets see. I bought my Sprint Pre at full price. I have been eagerly waiting for the OS upgrade for my phone. Now I am told that HP will not port the new OS to my phone.

    There are no other WebOS options on Sprint -- nothing. There may be a new phone in the summer (like there may be an OS upgrade in February 2011?).

    HP is driving people away from WebOS.

    WebOS is the best OS available and I want to stay with it. There just is nothing out there with WebOS available.

    It is almost as if HP were an agent for Google to drive people to the Android OS. I know that is not the case, but it might as well be, since that is the effect of HP decisions.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    All they will have to do for me is get the Pre3 on Sprint. If they want to throw anything else in, I won't turn it down.
    + 1
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions