Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    It probably won't matter what HP does. I blew my last year-to-year upgrade back in September on my Pre Plus...had I known then that VZW was going to stop the practice of annual upgrades, AND had I known that HP was going to bag-over-the-head-punch us on the 2.0 OTA upgrade, I would have sucked it up and "enjoyed" my BB Storm for a few more months.

But I view this as a blessing in disguise. I'm a pretty devoted Apple fan, and it's very likely that if I hadn't wasted my upgrade I would have bought an iPhone 4 last week. But then I would have been stuck with a 3G iPhone, when we all know that the iPhone 5, once it hits Verizon a year from now, will almost certainly be a 4G LTE device. As it stands, I cannot upgrade until April 2012, and my intention at that time is to go with an iPhone 5.

Luckily, I actually like my Pre Plus and believe I will get plenty of use out of it in the next year. I sure as heck have gotten my money's worth out of it--it was only 29 bucks with a two-year re-up.

It would be nice, however, if HP and/or Verizon threw me a bone in the form of a nicely discounted TouchPad, but that probably isn't going to happen. HP will probably offer something in the way of a Pre 2 or eventually a Pre 3, and I'm not interested in another Pre-derived smartphone.
    Anyone with their head in the right place knows that webos needs 1ghz to run how it should. Hence why they are dropping support. HP also knows that the webos community has carried this device on for the last year. They know that we all have our phones overclocked and it can indeed run 2.0 but 90% of people with the palm device do not. So issuing an ota update would cripple 90% of the phones out there. That being said i think they know they have to come good on their promises. Id be happy with a nice discount on a shiny new phone.
    Am I the only person who doesn't need a bribe?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I would like them to foot the bill for upgrades, so that the Pre 3 is available to all Pre, Pre+ owners at the upgrade price. I don't think it's necessary, but it'd be a great offer.
    if anyone has to change phones before the new stuff is available, it shouldn't effect the contract date IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by misasi View Post
    Anyone with their head in the right place knows that webos needs 1ghz to run how it should. Hence why they are dropping support. HP also knows that the webos community has carried this device on for the last year. They know that we all have our phones overclocked and it can indeed run 2.0 but 90% of people with the palm device do not. So issuing an ota update would cripple 90% of the phones out there. That being said i think they know they have to come good on their promises. Id be happy with a nice discount on a shiny new phone.
    You may be right. I'm not entirely sure about it, since they could EASILY release an OTA update that at least stopped underclocking the Pre from it's native 600mhz to 500, but therein still lies the problem.

Either HP knew it wouldn't work 6 weeks ago and outright lied when they promised the OTA updates most recently, or HP didn't know that until some time in the last 6 weeks and they are grossly incompetent.

So which is it; liars or idiots?

The one point I'll agree with completely is that the community carried WebOS. Unfortunately for HP, that only makes it worse. They either willfully lied to the community that kept WebOS alive, or they showed themselves as complete idiots to the community at large.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Easy answer to this one - Pre 3 on Sprint. Well, scratch that. Rumor has it that Sprint does not have any immediate interest in new HP webOS devices. So, I guess I will have to switch carriers to whichever one the Pre 3 comes out on. Would be nice if a 4G version would be produced.
    Quote Originally Posted by misasi View Post
    This hit the nail on the head...really.
    Without reading all of the other (very valid) suggestions, as a Sprint customer for over five years and a Pre owner since Sept 09 (seven months to go on the two-year contract), I am SO SAD. I read up on the new phones on other carriers and the ones offered by Sprint. When I go through the checklist of likes and wants, I still like the Pre and WebOs. HOWEVER, I want the slide-out keyboard to go the other direction (so I can see better where I'm typing), and I want the webos we've been promised! But the one thing I want from Sprint - that they are stingy with - is the mobile hotspot! I got the homebrew for the Pre when the Pre Plus came out, and it worked for a while and then Sprint shut it down. So if Hp can't give me the WebOs and Sprint won't give me a hotspot, I don't know what I'll do. Our corporate discount through Sprint would be tough to give up. Just shoot me now.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I dont need a bribe! Just make a 4G Pre3 available on Sprint SOONER than June and I would be happy!
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by MuiiMuii View Post
    still sticking to palm? only if they give me the new hardware for 100€(less is appreciated) after i send them my old hardware and even then i would still sell the new phone to get me something else. i get more upset by the minute. webOS as it is now is ok, with patches even really nice, great community but the hardware is really really bad. i hoped for a 3,7" landscape slider since typing on pre is not that good. first i thought "you will get used to it" but after typing 10-15 emails on a daily basis, messenger for 1-2 hours nearly everyday it still didnt get better.
    I didn't get any better with it either... But I don't type much (I leave it for the office, and home)

I think the Pre and Pixi are not good for heavy-typers, they're better for one hand typing. Short entries (calendar, contacts, tasks, few and very short e-mails, etc) typed while driving, or walking with the umbrella in one hand (coffe, briefcase... you get the idea), and the pre in the other.

Maybe you'd be happier typing with any big enough Android device, iPhone, or even Blackberry...
    Quote Originally Posted by pepitosegrilla View Post
    I didn't get any better with it either...
    That's the main part, YOU didn't get any better at it. I'm a heavy user with typing and the keyboard on the pre is just fine. I'm 6'5 and have large hands, I use both thumbs when typing. The increase in the key layout on the Pre 3 will be a welcomed change though.
    Last edited by Stevesrjr86; 02/17/2011 at 11:07 AM.
    There's nothing they could do to keep my business, after the bogus policy (no updates) that they intend to follow. End of story.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JosefCarlin View Post
    WebOS was wonderful and maybe 2.0 is the <<mod delete>>, maybe, but with little developer support there is nothing that will keep me. I'm moving to the EVO, $149 with a 2 year upgraded plan "Online Only" and the local RadioShack told me if I turn in a working phone they will match the online price.

So I'll drive a couple of extra blocks past the Sprint store, so I don't have wait for a $100 rebate (I just don't like giving $100 interest free loans to companies who just can't seem to turn a profit), and trade my Palm Pre for $50 and get a new EVO for $150 at RadioShack. I just knew HP would ruin Palm and WebOS and they have now proved it.
    Finally jumped to the EVO from the Pre on Sprint. What a upgrade, I absolutely love it. I thought the size would be an issue, but I got both a InvisibleSHEILD and a case-mate "barely there" back and my EVO is thinner than the Pre and using the screen-based keyboard is about the same size as the Pre's bottom sliding keyboard.

There are some things about WebOS that I miss, like consolidate Inbox for multiple email accounts and the WebOS search that allowed searching contacts by first and last initial ("sa" would find SAlly smith, tim SAnders, or Steve Adams) then choosing to text/mail/call from the result. I suspect with a search of the ginormous Android app catalog I will find free or low cost replacements.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I too have moved on. Bought a 1st gen Droid, should be here on thursday. RIP Palm.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I would be happy for one of those nifty $200 off coupons. I am willing to sacrifice my Palm Pre- for FrankenPre2 on Sprint.
    The only thing stopping me from buying a new phone is the bloody 3-year contract with Bell in which I'm only one year into. Unless Palm can work with Bell to allow upgrading without extending the contract, I'm unlikely to get anything on discount. And no, resigning the 3-year isn't an option for me, since I don't really know how long more I'm staying in Canada.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Spent an hour at the Verizon store today. They had a 2, which I compared to my Overclocked Plus. Launched apps at the same time, launched web sites ect. Not even a half a second diff on anything I did. I then noticed a Droid pro. I have an addiction to the Palm/BB keyboard, which this new Droid has. I am not sure what HP can do to keep me. I started with the first double flip phone that basically was a Palm 5 and a phone. I think I went though 5 in a year. Treos, Centros. It's been 13 years? Wow.
    I still have not gotten over the local desktop software. I still use it today and try and keep it updated. I would still prefer my contact, memos and calendar work at the speed of my computer and not the speed of my internet connection.
    Local desktop software? Yeah. That would keep me with HP.
    wil the pre3 be able to run data in a phone call?
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Either HP knew it wouldn't work 6 weeks ago and outright lied when they promised the OTA updates most recently, or HP didn't know that until some time in the last 6 weeks and they are grossly incompetent.
    As far as I know, HP never promised OTA updates. As of 6 weeks ago, from what I understand, they had pretty much made the decision that updates were going to be WebOS Doctor.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast