Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    They could start by giving me a $100 towards my purchase of an Evo this weekend. If they do that, I may think of looking at webOS again in a year when I am done with that phone.

Other than that HP can go jump in a lake...
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    The reason the OTA update is not coming is because the OTA update will not work properly . You would lose data on your phone . Some issues with the migration process is what I'm told . Believe it not .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Isn't it simpler than that? There is no upgrade because they want to buy a new device. Where is the money in you holding onto your launch day pre?
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    WebOS is the best OS available and I want to stay with it. There just is nothing out there with WebOS available.

It is almost as if HP were an agent for Google to drive people to the Android OS. I know that is not the case, but it might as well be, since that is the effect of HP decisions.
    This is a GREAT way to summarize our problem. I am sick and tired of waiting while watching other people with great navigation applications, Google Sky, QR code readers, Kindle apps, Skype, NFL Mobile, and others enjoy their Android phones. I think Android is a pain <<mod delete>>, but I may have to bite the bullet in the event something affordable AND awesome comes up on Craigslist or eBay.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/10/2011 at 10:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    My upgrade has to be used by March 31 or I lose it on Sprint. I will not wait around to get some handout from Hp that your prob never going to get for a phone that will show up sometime in the fall or later. Hp/Palm <<mod delete>> have never made good on any promise on "coming months" so why do you people think the Pre 3 will be out by summer?
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/10/2011 at 10:47 AM.
    I have until november before I get my full upgrade with sprint so I have a while yet to wait. But I am pleased with the Pre3. Unless something better comes along for webOS in a years time I will be getting the 3.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I generally don't get upset about these sorts of things, but...

I wasn't planning on getting a Pre3 (or any other successors) in the near future. I bought a Pre+ in May of last year because I thought it would be getting flash very soon. That was really my biggest selling point on the phone. My intention was to keep the Pre+ even after we got our upgrade to 2.x with flash. Now, my Pre+ will never have flash, and HP reneged on a promise that they would deliver it to my device. There are two solutions that work for me:

1. Give me a rebate that will get me a Pre3 for free without any contract extension.

2. Just give me webOS 2.1 for my Pre+.

Don't give me any BS about Pre+ hardware not being capable enough to run 2.1. That's crap. Many people have doctored their Pre-/+ phones to run 2.0, and the speed is fine. HP axed it for the Pre-/+ because they thought it would cost too much to maintain that backward compatibility. Well, they're going to be losing more than they saved because people are now fleeing from the platform in droves. I don't want a phone that's not supported by its manufacturer 9 months after I got it. Businesses are certainly not going to invest in an unsupported platform.

If I don't hear back from HP about this issue, I will definitely move to a different platform / phone at the end of my contract.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I do agree to some extends.

But I m easily sold if firefox, netflix, skype video calling are on webOS. I don't really care about numerous nutrition free apps.

I have a galaxy tab, the only apps that make it attractive, are firefox and doc to go (very important). other than that, its an inferior OS as far as I can see.
    I like webOS as an OS better, but as an ecosystem of apps and hardware I'm probably going to have to go with Android. The iPhone would win, but I've no interest in AT&T or Verizon's pricing.

By not releasing webOS 2.0 for older devices developers now have to limit themselves to the features of the older versions if they want people who can buy it, or use webOS 2.0 features and not be able to reach almost any pre-existing webOS consumer base. It's like this is an all new OS, fresh out of the gate, with almost nobody running it yet (since old devices can't update), but from a company that has less developer ties than Microsoft when it comes to the big guys like Netflix.

I really don't feel like starting over again when it comes to apps with webOS. Android has some key apps I miss like a Vulkano player/an official Slingbox player and with 2.3 they're allowing access to the hardware in a much deeper way for games so we should see some real progress there. Not to mention the myriad of productivity suites, widgets, live wallpapers, etc.

While Android has huge fragmentation problems of it's own, it's actually amazing how long devices can get support from the 3rd party community. There are people out there that have gotten 2.3 running on hardware from FOUR years ago that weren't even Android to begin with (XDAndroid flashed to devices that were originally windows mobile 6).

I guess the lack of an official webOS 2.0 update (and the subsequent developer dilemma that is going to severely limit app releases going forward) has pretty much already made my choice for me. Even if webOS is better I have to go where the apps are.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    i dont understand why you guys feel hp should offer you anything?? You bought a phone, it already does more than it did when you got it. Why the hell would HP come out with a new phone and give it to you for free (or even discounted)?? Ford isnt giving me squat to upgrade my 2010 mustang to a 2011... nor should they be obligated to. If you like the pre 3... buy it.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    What I don't understand is that there are several things in my life where I have to lose stuff to gain stuff. I think it's a part of electronics in general. If the hard drive in my laptop dies, I have to start over. It sucks, but if I have properly backed up and saved my program/app install files, then I'll be back to where I was soon enough. So the fact that they'd have to wipe my device to get me up to speed with everyone else seems acceptable. I guess my question would be do they want me to get a new profile, which seems silly since my apps are on my original profile, but then there was the discussion about the Touchpad not having a gesture area, which I fear may mean they're going to tell me that those won't be supported either. Hmm, this is getting worse as I think about it. Honestly, I can't leave Sprint, so if HP puts something on Sprint, I'm going to jump, incentive or not. Otherwise I'll attempt to Pre + my phone, or I guess since there will be no OTA update, I can even go the Pre 2 route on Sprint, unless an phone comes out with EVO features in a Evo Shift form factor...
    Donīt bribe me, but provide me with the promised WebOS 2.x for my Palm Pre.
    The future of HP/Palm and WebOS without updates to WebOS 2.x for older WebOS-devices? Last one turn of the lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    i dont understand why you guys feel hp should offer you anything?? You bought a phone, it already does more than it did when you got it. Why the hell would HP come out with a new phone and give it to you for free (or even discounted)?? Ford isnt giving me squat to upgrade my 2010 mustang to a 2011... nor should they be obligated to. If you like the pre 3... buy it.
    you are thinking very simple right now. People including me are po'd because they told us they were going to do it. If you can't do it tell the peps you can't honesty is key. People have been waiting for an update and nothing and now this news breaks. The fact that it had to be asked to find out just shows hp was trying to avoid this too. They could of made the announcment and said they will work on it but no they go and hide and continue to killer loyal webos users. Ok sure maybe they want to start fresh but if they think they are going to gain in a market where no one cares about what your phone can do but what apps do you have...hp is basically screwed
    I want the Pre3 for $100 off contract as a trade-in on my Pre+
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    you guys are giving Hp to much of a personality... its a company that is run by many different people (from the management to the programmers) "HP" is not trying to screw you or lie to you. Maybe management/programmers first decided to update old phones (and wanted to) but after adding newer features to 2.0 found out that it wouldnt be as easy (you'd be pretty PO'd if you lost your data) They dont "owe" you anything, not even an apology. Technology changes fast.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    i dont understand why you guys feel hp should offer you anything??
    That's easy. When I bought the Pre I was told it would support Flash. I paid, it arrived, and it didn't have Flash. Palm said - Oh yeah, we just have to polish it a bit. It'll be available in the coming months. Few months go by, 'Yeah, we're just about ready to release it. Just wait a month or two.' Then it became 'by the end of fall', 'by the end of the year', by the end of spring, by the end of summer, by the end of the year, FLASH IS IN THE NEXT UPDATE!, Flash has been removed from the next update, Flash will be in the app catalog soon, Flash will not be in the app catalog, Flash will be in the next OS update and you'll all be getting it! Ohh, turns out we're not giving it to you OTA, but you can still download it. Ohh, turns out we're not going to let you download it either, but you can get it if you buy the Pre 3.
    Ford isnt giving me squat to upgrade my 2010 mustang to a 2011... nor should they be obligated to.
    Not to start trouble but yes they will... It's called a trade in!

Ford does want your repeat business and HP should too!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    you guys are giving Hp to much of a personality... its a company that is run by many different people (from the management to the programmers) "HP" is not trying to screw you or lie to you.
    Individual members of a corporation should be acting in the interests of the whole.

I bought one of their products because a member of their corporation said the product would be flash capable in the future. Another member of the corporation made a decision to not honor that statement. I don't care if it was two different individuals. They are working for the same corporation, and their product that I bought will not do what they said it would do - what I bought it to do.

As a compensation for breaking that verbal agreement, they should provide some sort of reimbursement, or just go back and do what they said they were going to do in the first place.
    You can't bribe me, this ship has sailed. I moved on and bough an EVO last month. I'm pretty impressed with the EVO and Android.
    If anybody here thinks that jumping ship to Evo or the likes thereof *now* will satisfy a longing for new hardware, it won't. The polish of the new devices we'll be enjoying soon is well worth the long wait we have ahead.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    sprint will give you money for your old phone too. They gave me $50 for my instinct when i got my pre. I dont know what the buyback is on a pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessInWebOS View Post
    If anybody here thinks that jumping ship to Evo or the likes thereof *now* will satisfy a longing for new hardware, it won't. The polish of the new devices we'll be enjoying soon is well worth the long wait we have ahead.
    What a <<mod delete>> statement. How will you be enjoying these devices soon if there is a long wait ahead?

Besides, I bought my EVO last month and I am very impressed with it. It has great battery life compared to my Pre, it is most certainly faster, the apps available are much more impressive, the EVO has fewer bugs that effect my everyday use, I'm not limited to 8GB of on-board memory, there is a focusable 8MP camera ... the list could go on. Explain to me exactly how this doesn't satisfy the longing for new hardware.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/10/2011 at 10:45 AM.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast