Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MKTrek View Post
    I am done, going to best buy today, most likely going to evo. I have an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket since I have a launch day pre. I am not leaving sprint so moving i am moving to android. When I called sprint they recommended that I go to best buy to purchase the phone so i would not have to wait for the rebate, an evo will be $199.

Hopefully on Android central they will put up info for those of us who will be making the shift. There will be a lot of catching up to do.
    Before you go to BB, consider Radio Shack. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $they$ $will$ $give$ $you$ $a$ $$50$ $instant$ $rebate$ $if$ $you$ $bring$ $in$ $ANY$ $working$ $phone$ $that$ $powers$ $up$ $w$/$o$ $a$ $cracked$ $screen$. $It$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $to$ $be$ $activated$. $That$ $should$ $make$ $your$ $EVO$ $$149$ $w$/ $contract$. $The$ $price$ $was$ $also$ $$149$ $on$ $their$ $website$ $the$ $other$ $day$ $if$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $mind$ $ordering$. $Let$ $us$ $know$ $how$ $you$ $like$ $the$ $EVO$.
    You will still have to pay a $36. activation fee so it saves you a little, I guess. If you order online through Sprint they waive the activation fee and shipping fee.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    good thread - i've been a pre owner since day one but i'm feeling like i've been bypassed. i stopped in a sprint store yesterday and the Evo and Epic look pretty good. I'm up for upgrade April 1 and may make the switch. i'm just beginning my research now into these phones. any advice / recommendations would be appreciated. thanks!
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    So, nothing of interest until summer, and even then no guarantee that it will be on Sprint. My launch Pre (minus) is on its last legs. I need new hardware. I love webOS. This predicament sucks.

Fellow Sprint Pre users, what are you gonna do?
    I'm confident the Pre3 will be offered by Sprint this Spring. (June), and I think my Pre will hold up till then - if it breaks, I'll just get another refurb... (yes, they are still available...)

so, no worries.
    The big question. What do us Pre- Sprint useres do? I think I'm going to bail on Webos. I live the it, but I don't want to take a chance again. Even if the Pre 3 comes out in the summer, don't want to chance shotty build quaility. In 1 1/2 years I've been through 6 Pres. Two other issues; Apps and 4G. Webos is so far behind in the App world. Why spend more money on 4th or 5th place? And if I'm going to spend the extra $10 per month why not get a 4G phone with legal tethering? One of the Andriod phones is looking like the best value for me. HP Webos needs to show me what they can do before I re-invest.
    I think Sprint will still be the best value, but when it comes time for re-newal, I will do my due dilagance.
    I bailed for the Evo. 1 week of use.

There are some quirks with task switching a webOS user should know.

Even though there are some UI navigation shortcuts like the back button and the notification pull down, you task switch one of 2 main ways... long press the home button for recent app list vs tap the home button and relaunch the app via icon on home screen. You will be surprised to know that the long press for the recent app list is actually LESS (that's right LESS) consistent at returning you to where you were in the app.

Some examples

1. Some apps (stock or 3rd party) behave inconsistently when you want to return to your place. For example, if i start to edit a contact in the HTC people app, leave with the home button to copy info from a web page, when I return the people app returns to the start page. . However, if i use the recent app list and return with the back button. My place is preserved. Not intuitive all.

2. The stock youtube app (recent update) will not be in the place you left it if you leave no matter what you do. The stock video app will only work if you happen to navigate to an app in your recent list and then use the back button. Extremely dumb.

3. The stock music player does NOT dim with sprint Navigation. Radiotime however quiets completely when using google navi

Basically you need to find the combination of apps (and the buttons for UI navigation) that behave the way you want them if you are a heavy task switcher/multi-tasker like myself. There could be ROMs out there that do better, but I'm staying stock for now.

I did miss the integrated messaging (IM, SMS) on the Pre day 1 and 2, but now i just deal with separate apps. Not elegant but it works.

So it may sound like I'm giving the device a fail, but far from it. Just pointing out the first negatives a webOS user will notice if they switch. Overall, the evo is amazing. webOS users will also notice 95% of things we had to root and patch are simply menu options or found in the app market. HTC's "synergy" is very good as well.

So I will not be retuning to my Pre or webOS in general unless they make a compelling reason to. The android platform is just too chock full of functionality, solid apps, industry support and a fantastic community just like this one.

If you guys have the ability to do a 30 day trial, you should.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I'm sticking to my pre like a champ. My overclock and patches allow me to do anything. A phone without webOS doesn't seem like an upgrade. I mean losing true multitasking alone makes the pre better than an evo. Just clock ur pre to 1ghz and let it fly like any other phone.
    "Don't think, feel." - Bruce Lee
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Well if I can hear the promise of Pre3 on Sprint before 4/1 I will wait for it but if not I will try out the HTC Arrive and come back to WebOS later once things have settled out a bit.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuffo View Post
    I'm sticking to my pre like a champ. My overclock and patches allow me to do anything. A phone without webOS doesn't seem like an upgrade. I mean losing true multitasking alone makes the pre better than an evo. Just clock ur pre to 1ghz and let it fly like any other phone.

Felt the same way until I tried the eVo.
    And please folks this evangelical " only webOS has multitasking " is a crock. I admit as in an earlier post some inconsistencies during TASK SWITCHING. But overall Android excels in so many more areas, its too hard to ignore.

I am going to continue to play close watch to the development of webOS, but for now the eVo has all the features in a phone I had on my treo but not on webos.

- Sent from my HTC eVo with Tapatalk
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234