1.    #1  
    So later this year I will be relocating to Greece for work. I follow what I can about CDMA and GSM and carriers but am by no means an expert. I had a whole bunch of questions about what am I going to do with my cell.

1. What carriers should I be looking at? Do I sit back and wait for the announcement of which European carrier will be carrying WebOS?

2. Can I generally get any unlocked GSM phone and activate it on a European network?

I'm sure there is a lot more that I should be worrying / thinking about here, but I really just want a Palm phone in Greece with me...

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. 27
    If you can get an unlocked GSM phone, it will work with any carrier/network.
    It'd be a case of finding the carrier/network with the best overall package (coverge, quality, data charges...)
    It's a little off-topic, but you might as well have won the lottery, or struck gold. You are moving to Greece for a job. Either the economic situation there dramatically improved, or you're a very lucky guy.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    NERF
    ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirkcallaway View Post
    So later this year I will be relocating to Greece for work. I follow what I can about CDMA and GSM and carriers but am by no means an expert. I had a whole bunch of questions about what am I going to do with my cell.

1. What carriers should I be looking at? Do I sit back and wait for the announcement of which European carrier will be carrying WebOS?

2. Can I generally get any unlocked GSM phone and activate it on a European network?

I'm sure there is a lot more that I should be worrying / thinking about here, but I really just want a Palm phone in Greece with me...

Thanks in advance for the help.
    The AT&T version does not have the right freqs for 3 G in most of Europe, not sure about Greece. You want 2100 at the least.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    a typical quad band GSM motorola will handle greek GSM freq

from gogreece.com

"While the majority of overseas providers use either the 900 and/or the 1800 Mhz network for cellular communication, North American providers use the 1900 Mhz network."

And having been to greece this past summer i know they are on 900/1800 gsm the only thing is... if you are on a beach and are behind a mountain with low signal.... turn 3g/data off... you phone will die QUICK! lol Damn i love European woman.

I took a blackberry storm from verizon last time as my Pre is from Sprint. Just buy a phone number for about 10 Euro and then buy charge cards.. unless you wanna go with a plan since you have a job and incoming money may be better option.

Also... as a side note i have switched my home phone to vonage for $26 a month unlimited everything to most countries WITH international call forwarding... SOOO if someone calls your house phone or vonage number it will go to your cell phone in greece... and all incoming calls are free on cell phones in greece. just some food for thought. and you can always change the settings of it online.
    +1 on Vonage, I use it so family can make local calls, but I'm not local.

The AT&T pre2 will make calls and do slower gsm data. If you want 3G speeds, you'll need 2100. Like the UK Pre2:

GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the great info.

Do I have to get an 900/1800 Band phone or will a higher level band (like the 2100) work?
    And if so... can I purchase one here in the states and activate it to get US App Catalog/Pricing and still activate it on a European carrier?

Thanks again in advance for all the help.