1.    #1  
    Slingbox for the Pre was originally announced as a launch partner for the Pre, or at least listed as "coming soon". That was a long time ago and still no Pre love.

Now with the help of KalemSoft (try it, then buy it) and VH Screen Capture Driver (free) you can bounce your Slingbox feed from your PC to your phone.

OVERVIEW:
    You'll need a Slingbox sending a feed to your PC and the Slingbox PC program running so that your can see the video stream playing that you want to send to your phone. You then use VH Screen Capture to create a virtual web cam that KalemSoft Media Streamer then sends to your Pre or Pixi. Easy!

Here's how I set it up:

Step 1: On your PC, download and install VH Screen Capture

Step 2: On your PC, download and install the KalemSoft Media Streamer for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7

Step 3: On your phone: Install the KalemSoft Media Player for your Pre or Pixi then setup an account with KalemSoft.

NOTE: If you need help setting up the Kalem Media Server please visit their website. You may need to port-forward through your router so you can connect from your phone. It's not hard but every router UI interface is different so I'lll be unable to assist. (Unless you have an AT&T 2wire like I do lol)

Step 4: On your PC: Run Slingbox, Login and select the channel you'd like to watch.

Select the following settings on the Slingbox UI:

Video Zoom = Anamorphic.
    Display Mode = Video Only
    Reduce the picture size down until it's around 380 or 400 px wide.

(I find that anything larger will slow the process down and reduce frame rates but you can experiment with a larger video frame on your system.)

Step 5: On your PC: Run Configure VH Screen Cap. Setup the options like this (using your own Slingbox ID name):

and...

You can play with the settings, however these worked best for me. When you close VH Screen Cap, it saves the settings that will be used by Kalem Media Streamer in the next step..

Step 6: Run Kalem Media Streamer on your PC and set up a channel. Under "Channel Lineup" select VHScrCap as the video source. You can then select your audio source as well, this should be your sound card or audio device that is playing your Slingbox audio. I also recommend you add a description like "Slingbox" in the description field because it does appear on your phone and will make things easier if you add a webcam or other video sources later.

Note: Don't forget to add a check mark on the left hand side to Enable the channel otherwise it won't show up on your phone at all.

If your channel is setup and you have a Ready indicator on the Media Server app then continue to the next step...

Step 7: Run the KalemSoft Media app on your phone. Select "Open Live Stream". Hit the "Update Channels" button at the bottom of the screen. You should now see your channel and it's description listed at the top. Select the channel and after it buffers a bit you should see your Slingbox feed on your phone.

Hints and Tips: Disable your screen saver and be sure nothing pops up and covers the Slingbox video on your PC because that's what you'll see on your phone lol.

Update your video and audio drivers if necessary.

On the Media Player app on your phone you may need to open Options / Player Options and reduce the stream quality when on 3G.

One challenge is changing the channel from your phone because you'll just be watching a stream from a video screen grab, however, I've been able to achieve this by using LogMeIn but it isn't really designed for WebSo so it's a bit painfull. If someone has a better idea for controlling Slingbox from the Pre or Pixi, send it in.

UPDATE: I just bought and now use Media Remote. There is a PC Control feature that will allow you to change channels on your Slingbox UI remotely from your phone.

Of course you can use VH Screen Cap to capture anything on your screen and send it to your phone. For example, you can capture an area of screen showing a Ustream feed or something from Justin.tv. If you're really cool you might be able to watch Palmcast Live, on your Pre or Pixi.

I've only tried this on an Pre Minus, let me know if you get this working on anything else!
    Last edited by bdubdrum; 04/04/2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Update
    cool! I might give it a go this weekend if I have a little time.
    I have a slingbox, and I have purchased the KalemSoft Media Streamer, however, I've been having issues getting the KMS to work right within my network let alone through the internet..
    I am still working on it and will update the forum of my findings..
    sj
    I've had no problem with KMS, and I'll surely try this out! Never would've thought to try this so kudos to you! I'm wondering though if the slingbox web viewer will work on WebOs2, as it has flash. Anyone try it yet?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    I have a slingbox, and I have purchased the KalemSoft Media Streamer, however, I've been having issues getting the KMS to work right within my network let alone through the internet..
    I am still working on it and will update the forum of my findings..
    sj
    Good luck on this. I had some issues at first but it ended up being that I needed to set port forwarding up correctly on my router. I was simply doing it wrong lol
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by vholif2137 View Post
    I've had no problem with KMS, and I'll surely try this out! Never would've thought to try this so kudos to you! I'm wondering though if the slingbox web viewer will work on WebOs2, as it has flash. Anyone try it yet?
    Yeah, now that WebOs 2.0 handles flash, it might be possible to watch Slingbox from their website. I haven't seen anyone mention it though..
    I'm using the Pre 2. If someone wants to temporarily share their sling login I can test it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I'm using the Pre 2. If someone wants to temporarily share their sling login I can test it.
    Any luck with this? :-p
  9.    #9  
    UPDATE: I updated the OP to include information on Media Remote as a way to control the Slingbox UI from your phone using the PC Control feature. You can now easily change channels etc. It has many other uses as well especially when combined with Macro Express on your desktop machine.
    Last edited by bdubdrum; 03/29/2011 at 04:55 PM.
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't understand that post. What is "the OP" and what is the "PC Control feature"? Definitely interested in this, but didn't follow all the slanguage.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael05 View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't understand that post. What is "the OP" and what is the "PC Control feature"? Definitely interested in this, but didn't follow all the slanguage.
    "The OP" stands for "orignal post". He just means he updated the first post in the thread to include more info. You'll see "OP" all over the web in different forums whenever someone is directing a question or whatever towards the original post/poster.

And the PC control feature is just an option in the Media Remote app that allows you to control your PC from your phone using an onscreen track pad.

Hope that helps!
  12.    #12  
    Thanks, Mark, for the translation lol
    Anyone try this with WMC or XBMC HTPC with tuner? Just curious if this ends up working in a similar fashion for LIVE network TV.

BTW...Thanks for this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    bdubdrum,

Thanks for this. A few questions, though to make sure I understand. i went to the KalemSoft Media Streamer site & didn't see anything for a Mac. Is that correct?

"You'll need a Slingbox sending a feed to your PC and the Slingbox program running so that your can see the video stream playing that you want to send to your phone. You then use VH Screen Capture to create a virtual web cam"

Does that mean you have to be in front of the computer? If I travel & am on the road, would I be able to use it on the road? I see the Media Remote you added. Does this allow someone to view the TV on the road as I do normally w/Slingbox? I usually carry a laptop, but there are times when getting the laptop out isn't convenient or I don't have wifi so the Pre would definitely be an option if I can review remotely.

Thanks again.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    bdubdrum,

Thanks for this. A few questions, though to make sure I understand. i went to the KalemSoft Media Streamer site & didn't see anything for a Mac. Is that correct?

"You'll need a Slingbox sending a feed to your PC and the Slingbox program running so that your can see the video stream playing that you want to send to your phone. You then use VH Screen Capture to create a virtual web cam"

Does that mean you have to be in front of the computer? If I travel & am on the road, would I be able to use it on the road? I see the Media Remote you added. Does this allow someone to view the TV on the road as I do normally w/Slingbox? I usually carry a laptop, but there are times when getting the laptop out isn't convenient or I don't have wifi so the Pre would definitely be an option if I can review remotely.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I think that KalemSoft Media is currently not available for Macs. I recommend you contact them and encourage them to develop a Mac port. :-)

You would certainly be able to use this on the road using your phone with just 3G. The reason I created this set-up was because I do not have access to a laptop or wifi at work but still wanted to stay up-to-date on news etc. using my Slingbox.

On your home PC (before you travel for example).. you'll need to have your Slingbox desktop app running so that you can see the programming. Then use VH Screen Capture to create a "virtual web cam" of the Slingbox feed that KalemSoft Media Streamer then sends to your phone. At this point you would use Media Remote from your phone to connect back to your PC to change channels on the Slingbox app.

I know it's a lot to set up at first, however, once it's working, it rocks.

It's awesome to finally have my DirecTV programming anywhere I go.

If you need any more assistance just let me know...