Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Backup BACKUP BACKUP!!!

Yes, I know the mantra. I've even looked into some of the options, but was "waiting for a rainy [snowy] day" to compare the options and decide what it is that I needed to suit my needs. Obviously, if I had done that, I wouldn't be in this position. Doesn't it always seem to take a catastrophe to have it really sink in?

Sunday morning I discovered my car had been plowed in on the street and after a few minutes of shoveling, I realized I wasn't going to get it out in time, so I walked the few blocks to my church. While there, I discovered my phone missing. When I got home two hours later, I found my Pre+ deep in the show drift - wet and freezing cold.

I took it inside and removed the battery to dry out. I put my spare battery in and put it on my Touchstone charger, and after a few minutes I heard the familiar two tone bong. But the touchscreen is completely black. I called it from my house phone and it blared out: Motley Crue: Home Sweet Home - the specific ringtone assigned to my home number. The thin bar indicator light at the bottom of the touchscreen flashes like normal.

I tried to hook up to my PC to retrieve data, but of course I have that "USB drive or Just Charge" option that I am unable to get past with the blank touchscreen. What are my options?

I'm looking to retrieve my data on the phone, but I am also wondering about the downloaded apps and patches, and how I go about restoring paid apps if I have to get a new device. I plan to go to Verizon later today to find out my replacement options, but everyone knows that they know nothing about these phones and the REAL experts are at PreCentral.
    I have the insurance, but I hope to heaven that they aren't going to force me into a comparable phone on another OS.
    Or would they still have enough refurbished Pre+ phones available?

Since it is coming soon to Verizon, I am tempted to see what a Pre 2 will cost me without a contract, but I doubt I will want to pay that much. I still have my old Centro that I can link up to my existing phone number for the interim.

Anyway, any advice on my data retrieval options?
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    This question should have been answered imminently

Option + Sym + U (for USB)!
    sigh. your first mistake was putting your battery in it and plugging it in right away. Your lucky it still works. Next time make sure to leave it in some rice or something for AT LEAST a day, otherwise the wetness can fry the board.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    sigh. your first mistake was putting your battery in it and plugging it in right away. Your lucky it still works. Next time make sure to leave it in some rice or something for AT LEAST a day, otherwise the wetness can fry the board.
    Doh!

Never even thought of that. I did this immediately upon reading your post yesterday evening and it's still in the 'rice bowl'. I went to Verizon to ask about replacement and they advised me to contact Asurion. He said they (Verizon) had no Pre+ phones in stock. I mentioned that I heard rumors of the next generation webOS phone coming to Verizon and he told me that isn't going to happen until June or July. (I guess I'll just have to wait and see).

I managed to do the USB shortcut trick and got to my pics and videos. But I can't see a way to get to the apps themselves. Is there any way to re-load the paid apps on a new device? Maybe I just need to e-mail the developers? Problem is, there were so many I had on there, I'm not sure I will remember them all. Many were free and I didn't use much, so nothing really lost there if I don't get them back, but there are a few that I paid for intending to look at in more detail later, but hadn't used all that much yet, so I won't remember those. Is there a way to access a list of what I downloaded while attached to my PC as a USB drive?

Next issue: my daughter has a Pre+, but doesn't like it. She loved it at first, but now says she wants a Blackberry instead. She 'claims' that she can buy a Blackberry from Best Buy for $50 provided that she commits to another year or two added onto her current Verizon contract even though she is not yet eligible for a new phone through Verizon. Has anyone heard of this?

Provided her Pre+ is still in pristine shape (not a lock considering she drop destroyed her first one), I might be willing to take over her phone and forego the insurance replacement claim and let her get a Blackberry at Best Buy. But if her Pre is scratched and nicked up or experiencing an oreo effect, I'll probably just file the claim, pay my fee, and get a refurb from the insurance claim. Anyone else know anything about this Best Buy arrangement she is talking about?

In the meanwhile, it looks like I'm temporarily going back to the Centro. I'm glad I hung onto that phone. This will be its second time replacing a starter. The Steelers never would have made it to the Superbowl without Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch doing so well filling in. Then they had to go and turn the ball over three times.

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Your apps that you downloaded from the app store should all be backed up to your Palm profile, so when you activate a new webOS phone, your apps will all re-download. It won't save your app data though, so you'll have to redo all those angry bird levels

$50 for a blackberry? Sounds like she's getting ripped off!
    I know bro. I love ben and mendenhall but three turnovers in the super bowl . But no I've never heard of the bberry deal from best buy. Ebay ur daughter a bberry and steal her pre :P
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjdarling View Post
    Your apps that you downloaded from the app store should all be backed up to your Palm profile, so when you activate a new webOS phone, your apps will all re-download. It won't save your app data though, so you'll have to redo all those angry bird levels
    Thanks. I had only gotten through about a dozen or so levels on Angry Bird, so not a tremendous amount of loss there There would be some nominal loss in other apps, but nothing serious. I use Google calendar to synch, so all that data is in my cloud. And to be honest, it would probably do me some good to review my settings across applications on this large scale.

My primary concern was to easily reclaim "what I paid for" which would be the apps themselves. It sounds like this will get me there.