Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 27
    I've had a few Palm phones in the past but not a WebOS device (Tungsten T, Treo 680, Treo 750).
    I also used the iPhone and iPhone 3G.
    I currently use the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i on Androud 2.1.

I'll be getting a Pre Plus in the next week and have a few questions:

When will WebOS 2.0 be available for the Pre Plus?

Are the following apps available for this platform:

Amazon Kindle,
    Barcode Scanner/Shopper (or any barcode scan and price comparison app),
    Runkeerer (or any similar GPS tracking app),
    Skype,
    Shazaam,
    Any app for getting podcasts to the device

Thanks.
    Hi, just my personal opinions follow:

> When will WebOS 2.0 be available for the Pre Plus?

Given all previous marketing decisions (selling the device exclusively in 9 countries or so not keeping promises with updates, the still present bugs in the software), maybe in half a year or so. No. Make this a year.

Because otherwise, happy long-term webOS users (if still in existence) could eventually tell people that v2.0 rocks and that a Palm device is a good buy.

But using such a word-of-mouth strategy is in harsh contrast with previous Palm business. They think ****ing users off works better.

> Are the following apps available for this platform:
    > Amazon Kindle,

I don't think so.

> Barcode Scanner/Shopper (or any barcode scan and price comparison app),

There's about one, but it won't do what you want as it can only read certain types, and there's no app to my knowledge which would provide the lookup.

> Runkeerer (or any similar GPS tracking app),

Now, there are a couple, even free ones. You should be fine.

> Skype,

This is a mantra that you should learn by heart: NO VOIP OR ANYTHING ALIKE FOR WEBOS. Because this matches with US-centric development. Ask a dev why there is no SIP stack or anything and they will answer: "But why, it's already a phone, why add more phone to it?!"

Which is crazy talk and totally forgets about other parts of the world where people actually have a passport and even use it to travel to other countries but don't want to spend their budget on horrific roaming costs.

> Shazaam,

Sorry, never heard.

> Any app for getting podcasts to the device

Don't know, since I don't use it. But I doubt it.

If I can give you an honest advice: go get some Android phone. webOS is dead. They will never be able to catch up the lag caused by all their wrongdoings. And the current bs they do to further disappoint their customers with the delayed release of v2.0 is just proof for this.

Just select the maker carefully so that you'll get updates and those in time.

Best,
    Daniel from Austria
    I expect webOS 2 to be available in a month of so.

A barcode scanner requires a camera capable of focussing at closer distances than the webOS ones do at the moment. Some suggestion that the next model may have auto-focus.

Shazam requires access to the microphone, which is currently not available to developers.

There are several podcast options. eg drPodder.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 27 View Post

Any app for getting podcasts to the device

Thanks.
    Here in the U.S., I use Dr Podder for capturing and playing podcasts. It's pretty nifty and available for purchase in the App Catalog. There is also a free version in Preware.
    Dr. Podder has been the best podcast app on the mobile platform I ever saw,

I tried several podcast app on android glaxy tab, none as good.
  6. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldog View Post
    Here in the U.S., I use Dr Podder for capturing and playing podcasts. It's pretty nifty and available for purchase in the App Catalog. There is also a free version in Preware.
    Is there any difference between the free and paid versions?
  7. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I expect webOS 2 to be available in a month of so.
    What do you base this expectation on?
    Dr. Podder is amazing! You can stream or download archived podcasts and you don't need a PC in the mix.

Camera & mic APIs are supposed to be in webOS 2.0 so I can see Shazam coming soon.

Barcode scanning apps are not available on webos but it is due to limitations of the current generation hardware. On the Palm Pre Plus, it wont work. I suspect that once the new hardware is released with an autofocus camera that apps will become available. My hope is that the apps, once available, will have the option to manually type in the barcode on previous generation hardware.

I expect Amazon VoD & Kindle to be announced as launch partners on the new hardware. I can't imagine HP launching a tablet without this key partner.
    i would wait out for the newest phone coming out personally or get the pre2
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i know for a fact that the 2.x.x will be out sooner than most people think . just sayin
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    What do you base this expectation on?
    Sprint accidently released 2.1 to a handfull of customers. I think it'll release next week when they make their big announcement. Verizon will probably release their update around the 2/17 because they are rumored to launch the Pre 2 then. They will have obviously tested the 2.0 software on their network at that point so I'm sure that the update will push out around that time.
    im not sure they are that close to releasing the update but it is possible .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by danielmader View Post
    Hi, just my personal opinions follow:

> When will WebOS 2.0 be available for the Pre Plus?

Given all previous marketing decisions (selling the device exclusively in 9 countries or so not keeping promises with updates, the still present bugs in the software), maybe in half a year or so. No. Make this a year.

Because otherwise, happy long-term webOS users (if still in existence) could eventually tell people that v2.0 rocks and that a Palm device is a good buy.

But using such a word-of-mouth strategy is in harsh contrast with previous Palm business. They think ****ing users off works better.
    Half a year may be correct but blame Verizon or AT&T.

> Are the following apps available for this platform:
    > Amazon Kindle,

I don't think so.
    This will be coming, being that Ruby is on the board of Amazon now.

> Barcode Scanner/Shopper (or any barcode scan and price comparison app),

There's about one, but it won't do what you want as it can only read certain types, and there's no app to my knowledge which would provide the lookup.
    The Pre +(- & 2) has a fixed camera which will not focus on barcodes. Thus it will not work.

> Runkeerer (or any similar GPS tracking app),

Now, there are a couple, even free ones. You should be fine.
    Agreed.

> Skype,

This is a mantra that you should learn by heart: NO VOIP OR ANYTHING ALIKE FOR WEBOS. Because this matches with US-centric development. Ask a dev why there is no SIP stack or anything and they will answer: "But why, it's already a phone, why add more phone to it?!"

Which is crazy talk and totally forgets about other parts of the world where people actually have a passport and even use it to travel to other countries but don't want to spend their budget on horrific roaming costs.
    Do some research Skype is coming with 2.0 to Verizon only so you are wrong here!

> Shazaam,

Sorry, never heard.
    The API comes with 2.0 so it will be coming.

> Any app for getting podcasts to the device

Don't know, since I don't use it. But I doubt it.
    Dr.Podder as others have said.

If I can give you an honest advice: go get some Android phone. webOS is dead. They will never be able to catch up the lag caused by all their wrongdoings. And the current bs they do to further disappoint their customers with the delayed release of v2.0 is just proof for this.

Just select the maker carefully so that you'll get updates and those in time.

Best,
    Daniel from Austria
    Uninformed advise is never smart to follow! Good advise would be wait until Feb 9th.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  14. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    Sprint accidently released 2.1 to a handfull of customers.
    In that case, hasn't someone extracted it and found a way to install it on non-Sprint devices?

When it's officially out, will it be from HP to everybody or will carriers/networks release?
    yes people have done this but it is not advised because it will corrupt your palm profile and delete it from what i hear . its better to wait for the official release
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  16. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    This will be coming, being that Ruby is on the board of Amazon now.
    Who is Ruby? Do I know her?
  17. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    yes people have done this but it is not advised because it will corrupt your palm profile and delete it from what i hear . its better to wait for the official release
    OK.
    I'm on O2 in the UK so I'm not on Sprint, Verizon AT&T, Rogers etc.

Will Palm/HP release it or will the carriers release it?
    Will it be via a PC or Over the Air?
    what ? you dont know ruby ?? Palm CEO Jon “Ruby” Rubinstein
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    OK.
    I'm on O2 in the UK so I'm not on Sprint, Verizon AT&T, Rogers etc.

Will Palm/HP release it or will the carriers release it?
    Will it be via a PC or Over the Air?
    carriers
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Who is Ruby? Do I know her?
    Jon Rubenstein (sp), head of Palm, stll with HP/Palm, still an integral part of advancing webOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast