Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello All,

First post (and proud 1999 Palm Pilot owner!). Great info here. I'm a Verizon customer, and can't afford to pay for a data plan. Is there a source for step-by-step instructions on how to keep my present cell # and activate a Pre (or Pixi, whichever easier) without going through Verizon? I have an 802.11g router, and live.work.play in wifi hot spots, so this makes the most sense for me.

Many thanks! Chris
    Metadoctor is the answer. Search for it in the forums. With this you can make a special version of webos which bypasses the default profile login screen/activation. This way you can activate over wifi and choose to never use 3g data.

Metadoctoring a webos build is easy but needs patience with the initial cygwin/linux stuff.
  3.    #3  
    Great! Have read some about that and will check it out. I'll be able to keep my current Verizon cell #? And does this minimize the features of the phone or access to the app store? Many thanks. -Chris
    You wont be using it for a cell phone at that point. You'd only be using it as a wifi device, presumably moving your number to a different phone. Is that what you are trying to do?
  5.    #5  
    Both phone and wifi device. This possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Openwater View Post
    Both phone and wifi device. This possible?
    You'll need a carrier to use it as a phone.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    It will be interesting to see if it can be done once Verizon releases the skype client that will be part of the 2.x update. Originally it was to be pretty restrictive, but VZW is changing their strategy to compete with AT&T, so we may be surprised. You might want to just buy the cheap $15 data plan for a few months, turn off the 3G radio, and see what happens before doing anything drastic.
    i am not very familiar with verizon cdma, if it can function as a phone only if 3g/data is off. GSM phones certainly work fine.
    It works fine as a phone with the 3g radio off. Wifi overrides the 3g radio any time it is connected. I often turn 3g off just to save battery. Voice and text messages will stil work because they don't use the 3g or (wifi) radio.

Verizon will not let you activate a modern smartphone without a data plan. I still have my Centro so I can go back to that if/when I have to give up the data plan to cut costs, because Verizon will let me use the Centro without a data plan. Hoping that doesn't happen, of course.
    Bypassing profile activation does disable voice, SMS, and App Catalog on the device. Meta doctor does do the trick but if thats a bit up there, you can go to developer.palm.com and get the bypass activation tool, then get preware on your device to install the "Enable Profile Creation after Bypassed Activation" patch, and run the first use app. This will give you a full device without a dataplan.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Bypassing profile activation does disable voice, SMS, and App Catalog on the device. Meta doctor does do the trick but if thats a bit up there, you can go to developer.palm.com and get the bypass activation tool, then get preware on your device to install the "Enable Profile Creation after Bypassed Activation" patch, and run the first use app. This will give you a full device without a dataplan.
    Thanks Addiarmadar! Will check that out. Will I be able to keep my present phone #?
    You can also get "First Use" icon when you download the Advanced Configuration for App Launcher." I didn't know about enable profile creation one; have to try that out sometime.
    -- Art
    Quote Originally Posted by Openwater View Post
    Thanks Addiarmadar! Will check that out. Will I be able to keep my present phone #?
    You can keep your number, but not on your Pre. You cannot have a verizon phone number assigned to a Pre without a data plan. You can use the device over wifi, but in doing so you will not have a phone number assigned to it and so you want be able to send or receive calls or text messages. It will be a wifi PDA and your number will have to be assigned to a different device.
    Being a Palm user since the old Palm II days back in the mid 90's I have to say, "this really stinks". Since I don't need a data plan, only standard palm applications like contacts, calendar and notepad it looks like I'll be sticking with my Centro. I had wanted to upgrade to a Pre so I'd have a bigger screen but it's not worth it for an additional $360 a year. Looks like I'll continue to buy Centro's off eBay if this one breaks. They seem to break on me every 3 years or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboDiverArt View Post
    Being a Palm user since the old Palm II days back in the mid 90's I have to say, "this really stinks". Since I don't need a data plan, only standard palm applications like contacts, calendar and notepad it looks like I'll be sticking with my Centro. I had wanted to upgrade to a Pre so I'd have a bigger screen but it's not worth it for an additional $360 a year. Looks like I'll continue to buy Centro's off eBay if this one breaks. They seem to break on me every 3 years or so...
    this is a carrier decision, not a palm decision. It is the same for every modern smartphone, blackberry, etc.
    Whats the least data plan one can get? $10USD? I guess thats a smartphone surcharge
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    this is a carrier decision, not a palm decision. It is the same for every modern smartphone, blackberry, etc.
    Still think it stinks!
  18. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I managed to activate my wifes Pre on Bell Mobility in Canada, without a data plan. It was fairly convoluted, but it works fine. Not sure if how I did it would work with Verizon.

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...data-plan.html
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Wish someone would do that on Verizon. Be nice to have some type of hack to have the phone identify itself as a Centro or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboDiverArt View Post
    Still think it stinks!
    Honestly, what's the point of a smartphone, without a data plan? To me, it's being able to access the internet nearly anywhere.

I didn't want to pay $30/month either, but there's so many times I'm away from wifi, plus on Verizon, you get the free mobile hotspot, and that's come in quite handy at times for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast