Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Here's my problem (running webOS 1.4.5):

Out of the blue (meaning without any obvious cause, like dropping the phone), i have a sound issue.As of this morning, i no longer get MANY normal sounds out of the phone speaker:

1) If i play an mp3, no sound comes out of the phone speaker.

2) No system sounds. For example, when i close an open web page with an up gesture, i don't hear the "swooshing" sound i used to.

3) I can't hear any ringtones i choose to play. That is, if i go into sounds/devices, and click on a ringtone, it will play, but no sound emits.

4) If i make a call, i don't hear any beeps as i push the phone numbers, and i cannot hear any ring, nor can i hear if someone picks up the phone on the other end and talks.

But, some aspects of sound are working, i CAN hear some other things:

1) Every sound is heard out of earplugs. When i plug in the earphones, the mp3 music plays, i hear the "swoosh" system sounds, EVERYTHING i am used to being able to hear is heard when using earphones.

2) AND, SOME sounds are still heard through the phone speaker:

For example, if i make a call and activate the SPEAKER PHONE, everything is heard! When i press the number buttons i hear the beeps, i hear the rings, i hear when someone answers, and they can hear me and we can talk. And all of this WITHOUT headphones, i hear it all through the phone speaker.

What about when i receive a call? when i had someone call me as a test, here's what happened:

a) the phone does ring! The ringtone is heard as normal, through the speakerphone!

b) BUT, if i answer the call and try to talk to that person, they CANNOT HEAR ME, AND I CANNOT HEAR THEM, unless i turn on "speaker phone"! Then, with "speaker phone" activated, we can talk.

3) When i hold down the power button, so as to re-start the phone, i hear the "do-da" sound that precedes the turnoff options (cancel, power, restart, etc.). I hear this sound through the speaker phone, no earphones needed.

I am not very knowledgeable, but i have restarted the phone twice (once i did a restart, the next time i turned the power off then back on), this has had no effect. Also, i checked "sounds and ringtones" to see if had muted something, but all my sounds and whatnot seem to be on, the volume is on high.

So i am MYSTIFIED. Please help!
    what happens when you put in the wired headset?
    You are stuck in Head Set Mode and there are numerous threads on that issue here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...sound-fix.html
    and here:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=stuck...fe=images&tbs=
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Sounds like a stuck in headset mode problem.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Thanks fellas, especially "sledge007" for the links.

I took someone's advice and used WD40 and a cotton swab to clean the phone jack, and voila, got normal sound back.
    Last edited by stephenj; 02/05/2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Had that issue on phone number 3, I believe. A bit of a pain, if I remember correctly. Glad you got it fixed
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel