1.    #1  
    Just got another replacement phone today. I've lost count of how many I've gotten so far.

Apparently the refurbed phones are not getting decent quality checks. Two phones ago, I had the USB port crack issue. The replacement had a problem with the radio. This new phone has some odd issue with the screen where it seems that the underside of the glass is dirty, or maybe the display itself. Looks like you're seeing the UI through a hologram..

Why did original Pres get such crappy manufacturing? Was it the design, or the builders they chose? I'm happy that they're under the aegis of HP now, and hopefully the new hardware will be a little more, well, hard.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether I want to make yet another trip back to the Sprint store for what's basically a cosmetic problem, or just wait, fingers crossed, for new phones to become available.

Oh, while I was at the Sprint store, I played with the Evo for a bit. Beautiful display, too big. But what I noticed was that this display model was almost falling apart. No Oreo with a landscaper, but I was worried that putting the phone back on its display stand would make it fall apart completely.

Not real-world abuse, I admit. But I asked one of the sales people how long that model had been out on display, and she said "we just put a new one out there last weekend. They're very popular, and they get a lot of handling".

So I'm frustrated with the replacement devices I've needed to get, but it may be that the Pre isn't the only smartphone with build issues.
    My mother got 2 replacement pre's in the past week after she dropped her launch day pre and both had the speckled screen. From what I could tell it is a coating that was sprayed on the screen. It looks like they didn't buff it smooth after it was sprayed on. When you look a a reflection of a light bulb or something in the screen you can see that the original pre has a very smooth reflection and the replacement with the speckling has a weird sunburst effect in the reflection. She is hoping that the third one is better.
    Are you referring the the cross diagonal sections in the screen that you can see when the phone is turned off ? If so , you can't see them with the phone on . And all palm pre's have this . Except the pre2 which has gorilla glass .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Hopeful one day HP will make the Pre 2 the replacement for previous Pre models, since its a better build and would squash many of the legitiment complaints concerning hardware, smoothness, speed, etc on previous models.
    Sprint Pres, especially firstgen, have a higher chance of being crappy.
    There's like 2568 threads on the subject.

Switch to GSM, get a Plus or 2 and be happy.
  6.    #6  
    Ya, it seems like they don't give a crap about replacement phones.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    yeah, after nurmerous replacements of the Pre Plus, I went back to the Blackberry, Picked up a new Bold when taking my fifth Pre back for replacement. Absolutly LOVE WebOs don't get me wrong, But crap hardware doesn't cut it. Needed a quality Voice and data phone and BB fills the bill. As for New HP hardware, I'm really on the fence as I love the OS but really don't see the future without DEV'S! Apple Iphone on Verizon is going to drive a stake thru the heart of HP phones before they even arrive. It's programs that drive the popularity of any device. And without More DEV support I think it's dead in the water. I guess we will just have to wait and see what comes down the pike in the next year and how it's recieved, My new every two is good in October, So mabye I will also be back on WebOs, I hope.
    I totally understand bad quality had 6 phones already everything from dead pixel, oreo effect, and dead keyboard. I always get free replacements from sprint but my latest ones only lasted 6 days (overheated and froze).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Are you referring the the cross diagonal sections in the screen that you can see when the phone is turned off ? If so , you can't see them with the phone on . And all palm pre's have this . Except the pre2 which has gorilla glass .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    No, it is an orange peel texture like there is with an invisible shield on it but there isn't, and it makes the pixels look really strange. When viewing the screen you can see the sub pixel colors, RGB. It is almost like viewing an old TV too close. It is really hard to describe.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oversteer325 View Post
    No, it is an orange peel texture like there is with an invisible shield on it but there isn't, and it makes the pixels look really strange. When viewing the screen you can see the sub pixel colors, RGB. It is almost like viewing an old TV too close. It is really hard to describe.
    Sounds like what happens if a single drop of water lands on the outside screen (say it's raining for instance), only in your case it's like it's under the plastic right?
    I just wish my phone didn't turn off because of the battery not being the right size. Hope this is fixed as with the screen brightness issue in the next build/phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ualdayan View Post
    Sounds like what happens if a single drop of water lands on the outside screen (say it's raining for instance), only in your case it's like it's under the plastic right?
    Exactly. She just received a third replacement with the same issue. They appear to be coming from the Sprint warehouse in Kentucky. She is going to ask for a phone from Palm or from a different warehouse because it looks like there was a whole batch of Pre's with the issue. At least Sprint is being really good about accepting that it is their issue and not giving her a hassle replacing them.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I just got a TEP replacement pre yesterday with the exact same issue. I'd say this is more than a cosmetic problem, it makes text difficult to read, especially with light colored backgrounds. And, in general it just makes everything look sort of fuzzy.

Has anyone had luck getting a recent replacement that doesn't exhibit this problem? I'm planning on running to the Sprint Store during lunch to have this one replaced (they'll have to order one). But, is that an exercise in futility? Any chance Sprint will replace my Pre with a different phone (e.g., a low range Android phone).

I love WebOS, but the Pre's hardware is driving me crazy. I do a lot of reading on my Pre and the screen like this is really not going to cut it.
    my only problem is the plastic screen, which I hate and is prone to hairline scratches. Glass is definitely better. That's where the iphone has us
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by secrtagnt View Post
    I just got a TEP replacement pre yesterday with the exact same issue. I'd say this is more than a cosmetic problem, it makes text difficult to read, especially with light colored backgrounds. And, in general it just makes everything look sort of fuzzy.

Has anyone had luck getting a recent replacement that doesn't exhibit this problem? I'm planning on running to the Sprint Store during lunch to have this one replaced (they'll have to order one). But, is that an exercise in futility? Any chance Sprint will replace my Pre with a different phone (e.g., a low range Android phone).

I love WebOS, but the Pre's hardware is driving me crazy. I do a lot of reading on my Pre and the screen like this is really not going to cut it.
    The replacement I got has lasted quite a while now, and didn't have the screen issue. Now I'm back to the power button slowly dying, and the USB crack.

Last time I had the phone replaced, they offered me a Blackberry when they noticed how many replacements I'd had. I asked "does it play Angry Birds?". They gave me another Pre. =)

I was happy to discover that my contract is up in June. If Sprint doesn't get a webOS device, I'll get a different carrier that does.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just swapped out a refurb that I described as "having steam or water inside the screen. They thought I was crazy until I brought it in and they said wow that's weird.

I got a new one and it is better but way more oreo

I am in Florida so I'm not sure if it came from KY warehouse.