1.    #1  
    Had one of those embarrassing iPhone v Pre moments yesterday .....

I was in a corporate environment with a HUGE number of wifi networks within range, and my AT&T Pre Plus couldn't see the one I needed to join. I mean huge. I don't know how many total networks were present, but my Pre could only detect 14 of them. My iPhone buddy could see more, and the one I needed to join.

I turned wifi on/off a few times; reset the phone ... and I tried to enter the Wifi Network name cold on the join dialog, but my Pre never found the network that he did. Sucked.

The 14 networks I could see were alphabetically diverse and had a mix of security-enabled status.

While trying to figure out the problem for next time, I thought I'd ask if anyone else had ever experienced a limit or some other problem in a Wifi-rich environment like this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    Had one of those embarrassing iPhone v Pre moments yesterday .....

I was in a corporate environment with a HUGE number of wifi networks within range, and my AT&T Pre Plus couldn't see the one I needed to join. I mean huge. I don't know how many total networks were present, but my Pre could only detect 14 of them. My iPhone buddy could see more, and the one I needed to join.

I turned wifi on/off a few times; reset the phone ... and I tried to enter the Wifi Network name cold on the join dialog, but my Pre never found the network that he did. Sucked.

The 14 networks I could see were alphabetically diverse and had a mix of security-enabled status.

While trying to figure out the problem for next time, I thought I'd ask if anyone else had ever experienced a limit or some other problem in a Wifi-rich environment like this one.
    I have not seen that.

Did you have wifi security set to Open, to show any available?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by retirecom View Post
    Did you have wifi security set to Open, to show any available?

Thanks. I am not aware of how to set Wifi Security prefs (don't see that in Wifi menu or Device Info) .... but I am regularly able to see both secured and unsecured networks. This was a "guest" network that should have been plainly available. I was able to see a variety of networks with a variety pf "secure" settings.
    you should have been able to just type in the SSID and manually connect. Sme is true when you want to connect to a hotspot that isn't broadcasting it's SSID
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you should have been able to just type in the SSID and manually connect. Sme is true when you want to connect to a hotspot that isn't broadcasting it's SSID
    Tried that twice (before and after reset). Didn't work either time. Was able to log-in using the iPhone using same credentials. Maybe something else was amiss?
    sounds like either the security setting were off, or maybe there is a bug that it can only see so many hotspots. Of course, you could have had his iphone tether to your pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Does that security option filter what it can see or even what it will connect to? As in, if on a tighter security setting it wouldn't connect because it wasn't the 'right' kind of security, even w/the correct credentials?

Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    Thanks. I am not aware of how to set Wifi Security prefs (don't see that in Wifi menu or Device Info) .... but I am regularly able to see both secured and unsecured networks. This was a "guest" network that should have been plainly available. I was able to see a variety of networks with a variety pf "secure" settings.
    Security prefs are:

System preferences (?) top right by wifi signal > wifi > wifi preferences

+ Join Network

This opens w/field to enter other network name. Below THAT is the security options.

As I type this I see the option has to do with the new wifi account being added, not overall wifi service. So I just answered my own question from previous post.

Nevermind me.