1. jbs
    Full disclosure, I suspect this has been answered somewhere, but the nature of the terms I'm searching on means that finding the answer has eluded me. So I apologize in advance.

When I got my Pre I recall that it wouldn't do much of anything until it was activated. Without service you couldn't get to any of the apps, play music, anything. All of which is fine, but it made me wonder how the phone will behave *after* service. It's such an incredible device -- great for movies, nice for email, a handy remote control -- I'd love to keep using it this way via WiFi even once I've replaced it with my next phone, but I wanted to find out in advance whether the end of my service agreement will cause the phone to return to a locked state.

If so, can that be avoided by going into Airplane Mode before service ends so at least it can still be a movie and music player?

Or will everything except 3G and phone continue to be functional since by that point the device belongs to me? What about GPS?

Thanks in advance for any insights, and apologies if I'm covering well-trodden ground.
    Likely will not lock. I've pulled the sim out of mine, and it just does not connect to service. My sprint service canceled on my pre, and it kept working, just no data, and only collect/emergency calls.
    you will need to use palm's unlock tool if you doctor it, or if using webos 2, type in the dev code on the phone pad.
  4. jbs
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    Likely will not lock. I've pulled the sim out of mine, and it just does not connect to service. My sprint service canceled on my pre, and it kept working, just no data, and only collect/emergency calls.
    Thanks! Did you pull the SIM out *before* the service ended? I'm wondering whether there's some "kill switch" hidden in there where when it first sees that service has ended it reverts back to the mode it was in in the box, in which case it would presumably be too late to pull the SIM out.

Will the post-service Pre still connect to a WiFi network for data?
  5. jbs
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    you will need to use palm's unlock tool if you doctor it, or if using webos 2, type in the dev code on the phone pad.
    Nothing hacked on the phone. Not been doctored, just running standard WebOS 1.4.5. It's not currently locked, I'm just trying to determine whether ending service WILL lock it back into the state it was out of the box.
    Follow the following steps:

1. Create a new palm profile, ie. assuming you will want to use your current Palm profile with another phone. (In case you are not going to be using your current profile on another phone, you can skip to step 3).
    2. Switch your phone to the new profile.
    3. Turn of the phone and data radios.
    4. If your phone is a GSM phone, then you can now power off the phone and remove the SIM.

This should enable you to use the phone with wifi for everything else other than ofcourse making calls and getting data via 2G/3G.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    If you create a new profile will you lose your apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    Yes. Apps are linked to the profile you bought/downloaded them from.
    Yeah. You'd have them on the new device, but not the device with the new profile.

But it might be worth mentioning that the possibility of being logged into the same profile on multiple devices might be coming as soon as 5 days, 12 hours and 22 minutes from now. With tablets in our future it would stand to reason.
    After I switched phones in just used my pre for a few weeks to let my kid play all the games i had in it. Just put it on wifi and it worked.

Evo-lution
    So, if I turn the data & phone off I can use it on wifi with the same profile or will there be a conflict. I want to keep using some of the apps but more like a PDA instead of a smartphone. I even don't mind not using wifi. I just want to be able to use what's on there now like I can with my old treo's.
    I have a second Pre I want to activate & use as it's meant to be, a smartphone also.
    So, if I turn the data & phone off I can use it on wifi with the same profile or will there be a conflict. I want to keep using some of the apps but more like a PDA instead of a smartphone. I even don't mind not using wifi. I just want to be able to use what's on there now like I can with my old treo's.
    You'd have to keep wifi off as well. If your second phone gets access to the internet while you're signed in the same profile on the first phone, it will sign you out.
    So if I put in airplane mode I should be ok, right? Sorry for all the questions, I've been sitting here with 2 Pre's for a couple of days trying to figure out what would be my best options. I really appreciate your input!
    So if I put in airplane mode I should be ok, right? Sorry for all the questions, I've been sitting here with 2 Pre's for a couple of days trying to figure out what would be my best options. I really appreciate your input!
    If you put your second phone in Airplane Mode before signing in to your profile on the first phone, you should be ok. Make sure your second phone never gets an internet connection though. Keep Airplane Mode on and Wifi off.
    Thanks Garrett92C!! I really do appreciate your advice. I may wait 'til after the 9th just to see if we can use the profile on multiple devices. Your advice has been very helpful. Thanks.
    Thanks Garrett92C!! I really do appreciate your advice. I may wait 'til after the 9th just to see if we can use the profile on multiple devices. Your advice has been very helpful. Thanks.
    That's a good idea. They may announce something about using a profile on multiple devices... We'll see.

Oh, and no problem.
    okay I don't mean to thread jack but my situation is similar. I was thinling of getting a pre 2 but the aGPS issue still might be there so I've decided to get a verizon iphone 4 till the pre3 comes out. Anyways its my understanding that if I turn off the phone and 3G radios and just use wifi it will be fine, I can continue to use games, apps, and web. What I wanna know is will my palm profile still back up every morning?
    i was sort of wondering the same