1.    #1  
    Hello All,

Now I know there was a thread earlier with people who found the nova-barleywine doctor and went ahead and doctored their Pres. I'm one of them.

Now people have known that with the 2.0 update we got bluetooth keyboard support, but there's more things than just that.

Under the option you can now select what type of bluetooth device to connect to. There's audio, keyboard, and other. Other will allow for PCs to get connected.

Here's where the adventures begin. On my Windows 7 laptop, I paired my laptop with my pre. Interestingly enough, it supports audio playback and headset mode! You can have your laptop or pc playback all audio from the pre as well as act as a headset for calls. I tested this out with Angry Birds and calling. it's pretty awesome, especially if you have a nice speaker setup on your desktop with surround sound! Also, if you play music from the music app, it will have a little menu in the corner of your pc that allows you to control the music as well as see the meta data of the music that your are playing.

These are pretty cool things that you can do now with bluetooth, much more than the past where the pre can only connect to a bluetooth headset.

But it doesn't stop there. Right clicking on your pre on the bluetooth settings has an option that says "connect as access point". What does this do?...

Bluetooth Tethering

bluetooth tethering seems to be built into the OS now! The catch is though, your Pre will come up with an error stating that your carrier does not support tethering. But what is cool about this though is that you can have you Pre act as a wireless adapter. If you have your Pre connected to a wifi hotspot, you can forward the internet through bluetooth to a PC. This could be convienient for PCs without wireless adapters but do have bluetooth (which would be weird, I know, but it's still interesting)

With all this new added functionality to WebOS 2.0 it will be exciting to see how this will work with the new Eco system of devices and how bluetooth will interplay with the PalmPad and the new set of Phones.

Hope you found this as interesting as I have. Anyone with Pre 2s, if you could test this out for yourself and report back, that would be awesome! As I am using Nova-Barleywine, these features might not be implemented yet and from what I have read I don't see it on the WebOS 2.0 features. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Great Find! Do you have a sprint pre minus?
    can i transfere files from my pc to the pre (and vice versa) via bluetooth or do i still need the usb cable?
    Bluetooth file transfer is what I would like to see also. Unfortunately I dont think Palm gave us that. (not speaking from experience. Just what Ive read.)
  5.    #5  
    I have a Sprint Pre minus. And as far as I'm concerned, there still isn't bluetooth file transfer. I don't see any options for it. It might come later, but I doubt it. The services available as stated by Windows 7 are:

Audio/Video Service
    Headset Gateway Service
    Remotely Controlable Device

I tried playing a video, and only audio was outputed to the PC. The way the bluetooth remote on windows 7 works though is that it's running a mini version of what looks like Windows Media Player. That being said, video could potentially also be viewable on the PC through bluetooth (AirPlay eat your heart out!)

This coincides with the ideas of how the PalmPad and the new Touchstone v2 is going to work. Touchstone v2 could possibly have a bluetooth adapter to manage all the interconnectivity between all the devices, and would explain how it is able to output video through HDMI without using anything besides the induction back.

(p.s., those videos of WebOS 2.0 running extremely fast and smooth on the Pre Plus, they apply to the Pre Minus as well. WebOS 2.0 makes the Pre minus at stock 500mhz runs faster and smoother than 1.4.5 overclocked to 1ghz)
    Last edited by coasterfreak212; 02/02/2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: More detail
    So this is probably how the answering calls with the Topaz works I'm guessing.
    Oh that's really cool. If you do get any progress getting VIDEO to play through bluetooth, please share. Heck, if you can get the whole display to transfer over bluetooth, that would be simply amazing. Then I can do demos of apps over a projector instead of on the tiny Pre screen. I'd like to try these things with my Pre 2, but unfortunately my computer doesn't have a bluetooth adapter.

Also, which bluetooth keyboard did you use? I'd like to get one to use with my Pre 2.
  8.    #8  
    After playing around with it some more, I don't think video will be an option for a while. After using it for Pandora, music, and games, it started to stutter. I had to restart the phone to stop the stuttering, and eventually it will do it again after use.

The keyboard I used was a big desktop Microsoft keyboard, and theoretically, any bluetooth keyboard should work just fine.

Since you have a Pre 2, look at the bluetooth settings and see if there are options for "other" and try to pair it with a bluetooth capable PC somewhere so we can find out if these services are also on the released 2.0 OS and not just the Nova-Barleywine (which is rumored to be 2.0.1 or 2.1.0)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Oh that's really cool. If you do get any progress getting VIDEO to play through bluetooth, please share. Heck, if you can get the whole display to transfer over bluetooth, that would be simply amazing. Then I can do demos of apps over a projector instead of on the tiny Pre screen. I'd like to try these things with my Pre 2, but unfortunately my computer doesn't have a bluetooth adapter.

Also, which bluetooth keyboard did you use? I'd like to get one to use with my Pre 2.
    You can buy really cheap usb bluetooth adapters. Like this:

MINI USB 2.0 BLUETOOTH V2.0 EDR DONGLE WIRELESS ADAPTER - eBay (item 190389048984 end time Feb-08-11 07:12:28 PST)

I have one I used with my old centro to transfer files. It worked perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterfreak212 View Post
    (p.s., those videos of WebOS 2.0 running extremely fast and smooth on the Pre Plus, they apply to the Pre Minus as well. WebOS 2.0 makes the Pre minus at stock 500mhz runs faster and smoother than 1.4.5 overclocked to 1ghz)
    hmmm... not the experience I had at all. i felt that the nova-barleywine webos 2.0 was markedly slower than my overclocked pre (minus) running 1.4.5. (perhaps this was due to the absence of the faster animations patch) though i did notice improved battery life with the 2.0 over stock 1.4.5. so much so that i installed govnah out of curiosity to check if there was any scaling going on. (it didn't show anything but i'm not even sure if it should/would)
  11.    #11  
    Well... it is "slow" at parts, but it's more sporadic. I have sat and waited a lot, but overall I have a better, faster, and smoother feeling when using nova-barleywine. I, however, did not see a significant change in battery life, which for me is pretty crappy It could be that my battery isn't up to snuff as it used to be and needs to be replaced.

I'm tempted to see if I can install an overclocked kernel via Preware and setting the feeds to the 1.4.5 feeds (which I have already done, because I used Save/Restore on it)

And after all, it is beta Hopefully they'll iron out the kinks when they release it. At least we know it truly is not ready and its not a fault of the carriers or negligence on anyone's part.