Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hello ,
    i have recently bought a palm pre from an online UK store.

this palm pre has os version 1.4.0

it was sold sim -free and unlocked.

i was wondering how do i upgrade it to 1.4.5

i find no upgrades via the upgrades app on the pre.

also i am unable to download webos doctor (do i really have to?) via the palm website as when i enter the serial number it says "invalid" --why???

Please help.

many Thanks.
    Weird. Try the internals link to the webos doctors. Run a search sorry I'm on my phone.
    You should be able to doctor it(not by getting it from the Palm site, because it's NOT on a carrier)

WebOS Doctor's are done through the carrier. They're from Palm, but like things that aren't on a carrier can't be just done OTA.

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...p100ueu-wr.jar

If it's a Palm Pre minus, I think that'll work for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    since my phone was unlocked already..

will this webdoctor thing lock it to a carrier?

what exactly will happen as a result of using this.

once upgraded to 1.4.5 will i see more apps on the app catalog/beta apps??

will i get ota updates from here on -- eg future webos 2.0 update??

please advice. any chances of bricking my phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    You should be able to doctor it(not by getting it from the Palm site, because it's NOT on a carrier)

WebOS Doctor's are done through the carrier. They're from Palm, but like things that aren't on a carrier can't be just done OTA.

If it's a Palm Pre minus, I think that'll work for you...
    I am not the person to answer those questions I just wanna be honest. Best wait for someone who's done this or has an unlocked device like yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by indiewolf View Post
    Hello ,
    i have recently bought a palm pre from an online UK store.

this palm pre has os version 1.4.0

it was sold sim -free and unlocked.

i was wondering how do i upgrade it to 1.4.5

i find no upgrades via the upgrades app on the pre.

also i am unable to download webos doctor (do i really have to?) via the palm website as when i enter the serial number it says "invalid" --why???

Please help.

many Thanks.
    Did you get your Pre from Expansys. I did on the 20th January. It got the stuck in headphone issue on the 27th. Tried everything. Couldn't fully fix issue. Returned it and am receiving replacement in the morning.
    I called Palm support. I couldn't install WebOS doctor because Palm.com didn't recognise the serial number. I understand this is because they only have the pre's and pixi's sold through the mobile networks on the database. Not the sim free ones.
    OK do what I did. Install latest java se. Then install something called WebOS quick install.
    You need a piece of software called Novacomm. Get the 32 bit version if running XP or 32 bit edition of Vista or 7. There is a 64 bit version that I used without any issues.
    Then you enable devmode. Type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart and press enter from home screen of the Pre.

Jason has put all the instructions. Once in WebOS QI there is an option to reset the phone. This wipes the phone and installs a fresh copy of 1.4.5 in the case of the Pre.
    However, in my case I unboxed my Pre and set up my Palm profile. I then set up WiFi and could update Webos from 1.4.0 via the update app on the right third of the launcher.