1.    #1  
    First of all, I scoured the forums for anything that is remotely related to this problem and did not find a single post, so hopefully (well, not really) this is a new topic that will not get banned.

I have had a problem with my Sprint Palm Pre over the past few weeks that has the phone turning off its data connection randomly after only a few hours after a restart. This means that I cannot access email, the web, calendar syncing, maps, etc. The phone basically becomes a "dumbphone" because it can still receive calls and text messages. This is on top of the phone having random disconnects from GPS, making maps and navigation a complete joke. BUT, MAIN PROBLEM is 3G/data access. I can live without gps, but not without data. The only remedy is a complete restart, which as we all know takes forever... But it only last a few hours before dropping all data again.

I have a stock Pre and I took all homebrew apps and patches off the phone and the problem still persists. Please help! This is a very annoying problem, especially since the Pre takes about 17 hours to restart every time. And no, a Luna Restart, Java restart nor going into/out of airplane mode work.

I came really close to throwing this phone against the cement wall this afternoon...

Anyone else having this problem or can help out???
    this happens to me as well on occasion. i get the grayed out 3g symbol at the top with full signal, but not the darker symbol with white "3G". while frustrating, i have found that switching to airplane mode and back fixes it. not sure whats causing the issue.
    Have you tried updating PRL settings and network settings under preferences on the phone app?
    Turn off data roam

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5.    #5  
    @ sinime: Thanks, this seems to have cured it without a restart. We will see how long it lasts.

I'm just surprised that this becomes an issue after a while without user intervention. I would think that not many people dig through forums to make sure their phones are in tip-top shape and would eventually run into the same problem. I thought my phone was broken, and if not for the helpful folks here I would have sent my phone in for repair/replacement in the next few days. It seems very negligent of Sprint to "react" as opposed to being proactive in a situation like this.

Oh well, I only have to deal with this phone until June, then I can upgrade (either the new hotness from Palm/HP, or if not so hot then an Android phone).

Cheers mates,
    a dumb cat