Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the last few months I've been holding onto my Pre in hopes that HP will WOW me with some new phone. I really like WebOS but there are huge limitations right now and the hardware is just total crapola (yea... i realize that's not a word). Either way, I've held onto some hope and am now waiting for Feb 9th before I finally discard my Pre and jump on board the android train. The Evo was looking very tempting a few weeks back, and as of the last few days it's got increasingly more difficult to stay with my Pre due to its malfunctioning hardware. I'm not sure if something is loose inside or what but on occasion when I'm on a call I'll hear random clicking noises and today it even got as bad as completely cutting out. I'm very confident it wasn't the service since the phone was already acting up. I was one of the first day Pre owners (#9 in line) and though I've had my Pre replaced quite a few times, my year warranty is up and I would guess if I brought my Pre into a sprint store they'd just tell me to get a new phone. Do I have any other options? I'm guessing I'm going to somehow have to make this phone last for the next few weeks at the least, and I seriously doubt HP will pull and apple and magically release the phone on Feb 9.
    Sounds like it might be the notorious headphone jack problem. Other threads reported that Sprint repair centers will replace the headphone jack for $35. When you say "last legs", is that the only problem, or is it really falling apart?
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    do you have the Sprint TPR? My Pre was acting similar, then the WIFI quit working--I think maybe there were some radio issues. I went in to the store and they swapped out my Pre with a refurbed unit. In fact, I think it is the nicest unit that I have had since Launch Day (absolutely 0 Oreo). Now I can hold out a bit longer.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    You can get a Sprint Pre is great condition on Craigslist or Ebay for well under $100 if you get no relief @ Sprint. That is what I would do, in fact did so last week, upgrading the last of our family of 5 on to smartphones with the 5th Pre before Sprint inacted the $10/month per smartphone activation fee on Jan 30th.

With evidence that Sprint will be releasing webOS 2.+ on Pre minus, will be like getting a new phone, sort of.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I just got a Pre Plus and did the comm board and token swap. It's amazing....awesome upgrade!
  7.    #7  
    nope, don't have Sprint insurance. I wouldn't spend the 100 bucks to get a replacement anyways. Like others said you can get a Pre on craigslist for under 100 bucks. I really don't want to spend a dime on my phone at this point. I'd rather buy an Evo4G and wait out the rest of the time with Android. I love WebOS like I said, but not enough to spend money on crappy hardware.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    nope, don't have Sprint insurance. I wouldn't spend the 100 bucks to get a replacement anyways. Like others said you can get a Pre on craigslist for under 100 bucks. I really don't want to spend a dime on my phone at this point. I'd rather buy an Evo4G and wait out the rest of the time with Android. I love WebOS like I said, but not enough to spend money on crappy hardware.
    If you have the TEP, as long as it doesn't look like you did something crazy to the phone, Sprint will replace it without you having to pay the deductible. I'm on Pre #5 and have yet to pay any insurance. The only time I have ever paid the deductible is the time I ran over my Samsung A500 (don't ask, it was my wedding weekend). But if you don't want to spend any more money, then this doesn't matter anyhow. You could go ahead and jump to Android and if the 2/9 news is what we are hoping for, you could return the Android phone and get back in the webOS line...
    With tep replacing without deductible... are you only talking about under warranty?

I have some of the same problems everyone else has on my day one Pre
    and haven't took it in for fear of paying the $100.

My day one has no signs of abuse and has the screen crack coming from the
    usb door and the jack problem.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    The infamous crack will depend on the CSR you get. I was able to get mine replaced (Pre #3) with no problems. I think there are more people who were not able to get it replaced without the deductible though, if I remember correctly. The jack they should replace without question, but maybe I'm just lucky, or possibly the 11 years I've been with Sprint means something to somebody. I think worse case is, if you take it and they want to charge you the deductible, just tell them never mind. Last thing is most Sprint stores will have to order a refurb Pre as very few of them have any in stock.
    Last edited by irateb; 01/28/2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: additional info
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    If you have the TEP, as long as it doesn't look like you did something crazy to the phone, Sprint will replace it without you having to pay the deductible. I'm on Pre #5 and have yet to pay any insurance. The only time I have ever paid the deductible is the time I ran over my Samsung A500 (don't ask, it was my wedding weekend). But if you don't want to spend any more money, then this doesn't matter anyhow. You could go ahead and jump to Android and if the 2/9 news is what we are hoping for, you could return the Android phone and get back in the webOS line...
    Thanks for the suggestion. I actually don't have TEP mostly because the phone isn't even worth 100 bucks so it'd be ridiculous to pay $7+ per month. I guess it would be convenient to take it in and get a new phone without a problem but hoepfully my phone can survive another couple weeks. The latest news makes it seem like the new phones will come within weeks of 2/9. Who knows, maybe they'll pull an apple and have the phones in store the next day!
    [QUOTE=JTH182;2840919]PLUS! THAT! PRE!

[URL]

Honestly, you just made my day.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    The latest news makes it seem like the new phones will come within weeks of 2/9. Who knows, maybe they'll pull an apple and have the phones in store the next day!
    If there is a God, and that God likes me (other than already giving me two perfectly healthy children), then this would happen
  14.    #14  
    i'm not gonna use of my God favors, but we'll all be thrilled if that happens :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    I did that LONG LONG ago I bought so many verizon pre pluses with bas ESN's for the front 1/2 and made a lot of pre pluses for sprint i was selling them bad boys for 250 a pop for about 7 months made a lot of dough...
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    I cant find a single bad esn pre plus
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I cant find a single bad esn pre plus
    The one I got on eBay had a clear esn, and I got it for 75.00....a little more than what I wanted to spend but it was almost new. No oreo or scratches....

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingInIowa.com View Post
    With tep replacing without deductible... are you only talking about under warranty?

I have some of the same problems everyone else has on my day one Pre
    and haven't took it in for fear of paying the $100.

My day one has no signs of abuse and has the screen crack coming from the
    usb door and the jack problem.
    I had exact same issues. Got mine replaced at no cost
    Hang in there. I spoke with my Sprint rep yesterday while buying a replacement for my wife's lost Pre (got her an EVO Shift) and he made a comment to me that got me hopeful. We go way back and he's been money on everything to date but I realize there's a lotta' haters out there but life's too short to worry about them so here goes...he said that Sprint is going to announce a new Hpalm groundbreaking phone even before HP has their shindig on the 9th. He heard this from the owners of the franchise. Makes no sense? Maybe. But maybe he's right and they are doing this to build momentum for the real unveiling on the 9th by HP. Maybe this is just going to be a tease so HP has everyone's attention on the 9th. If they do it right and this is truly a revolutionary phone coming down the pipes then it's a win-win for Sprint and HP. I can hardly wait now...he also said they would have the phones before my upgrade comes up April 1st. Believe what you want.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Take it to Sprint. Without TEP they will charge you $35 and replace it.

How much will it cost?

When enrolled in Total Equipment Protection (TEP):

* ?$0 for all in-store repairs and/or exchanges.

* $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible applies depending on device model for loss, theft, or physical or liquid damage per approved claim filed with the insurance administrator, Asurion.

When not enrolled in Total Equipment Protection (TEP):

* $35 for wear and tear, physical damage and mechanical or electrical failures.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast