1.    #1  
    I didn't see this covered in it's own thread but I think it could be a useful option. So, if my pre ends up with a cracked screen or some other significant hardware damage, would it be possible to swap the comm board out of my old pre into the pristine donor body of another pre off of ebay, and continue along without having to reactivate or do an ESN swap with Sprint (thereby triggering the new $10/month fee)?

I wasn't sure if all the ESN info is tied to just the comm board, or if there is some sort of token synchronizing business involved like there seems to be when "plussing" a Sprint pre. I don't mind if I have set up my palm profile on the new phone and copy the contents of my old usb partition over.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I didn't see this covered in it's own thread but I think it could be a useful option. So, if my pre ends up with a cracked screen or some other significant hardware damage, would it be possible to swap the comm board out of my old pre into the pristine donor body of another pre off of ebay, and continue along without having to reactivate or do an ESN swap with Sprint (thereby triggering the new $10/month fee)?

I wasn't sure if all the ESN info is tied to just the comm board, or if there is some sort of token synchronizing business involved like there seems to be when "plussing" a Sprint pre. I don't mind if I have set up my palm profile on the new phone and copy the contents of my old usb partition over.
    The way I understand it, they only start charging you when you activate a "new" phone. So once you upgrade your phone to the pre+++ when it evenually comes out will qualify for the new $10 charge. Swapping out the comm boards isn't fun (check out my thread for that). The comm board itself isn't bad, but if you don't backup the tokens, you'll have to swap out the system board too.
  3.    #3  
    My understanding, according to folks who have followed up on it here in the forum, is that any activation of a different ESN from your current one (after Jan 31) will trigger the new fee. The only exception I believe is if you are activating TEP insurance provided replacement phone or a warranty replacement phone.

So you're saying a token backup/transfer is required if all I pull is the comm board. I take it the system board is tough to swap out together with the comm board? That would still seem more straight forward than dealing with a token backup/transfer.
    After I swapped my comm board the phone booted up fine and there was no activation or any type of interaction with Sprint whatsoever. You should be fine provided you carry-over tokens correctly.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Ok that makes sense. Sounds like you know more about this than me then.

Check out this article at webos-internals:
    Move a Pre- to a Pre+ on Sprint - WebOS Internals

It should tell you how to do the comm board swap, tokens, ect.
  6.    #6  
    If I were to pull just the comm board and do a token carry-over, would I be better off going ahead and migrating it into the body of a pre plus at that point? Or is there generally more involved in doing that?

Basically if I can get away with physically gutting the core internals of the phone and putting it in a new cosmetic shell, thats all i'd really need to accomplish. So if pulling the system board and the comm board together can be done without huge trouble, and lets me avoid token transfers and meta-doctoring, that would be sufficient in the interim.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    It's my understanding, after limited research (I'm planning on Plusing my Pre-), that this should not kick in the $10 upcharge.

I don't mind spending a few bucks on a 'new' Plus, but do object to paying $10 more dollars a month for nothing.
    I'm still trying to figure out this whole $10 fee thing... So if I buy a phone off ebay and activate it myself through Sprint's website will I automatically be charged the monthly $10 fee? Or is it only if I buy/upgrade my phone through Sprint?

And you don't need to activate the phone after a comm board swap, once you get your tokens moved over and doctor your device it will already be activated and as far as Sprint can tell you're using the same phone. So regardless of how it works you wouldn't have anything to worry about.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by haveigonemental View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out this whole $10 fee thing... So if I buy a phone off ebay and activate it myself through Sprint's website will I automatically be charged the monthly $10 fee? Or is it only if I buy/upgrade my phone through Sprint?
    According to what I've seen others confirming on the forums here, yes, the ebay phone will still trigger the $10 fee to start, regardless of how you activate it.
    That's good to know.. At least I know that at any point in time I can get out of my contract by activating a new phone. I don't think I will be, but at least I have an easy out at this point.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haveigonemental View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out this whole $10 fee thing... So if I buy a phone off ebay and activate it myself through Sprint's website will I automatically be charged the monthly $10 fee? Or is it only if I buy/upgrade my phone through Sprint?.
    If it is a smartphone, yes. Once you activate the new ESN after the 31st, you get charged the $10. I thought I had read that even TEP swaps would get hit, but I guess we'll find out for sure after 1/31.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    It's my understanding, after limited research (I'm planning on Plusing my Pre-), that this should not kick in the $10 upcharge.

I don't mind spending a few bucks on a 'new' Plus, but do object to paying $10 more dollars a month for nothing.
    I'm hoping you're right as well. I'm also considering "plussing" my pre if I'm going to bother disassembling it. If someone could confirm then that would help tilt the decision. Otherwise I'm looking to just swap all the necessary pre-minus internals to another clean pre-minus body instead. Has anyone else done a cosmetic pre- to pre- "body swap" of their systemboard/commboard combo?
    Comms board swap will not trigger the $10 fee. The board swap is a HELL of a lot easier than the whole innards swap. If you're doing the swap, you might as well do it to a Plus. There's no difference in doing the two. I suggest installing Virtual Box and Ubuntu and just learning how to do the meta-doctor to transfer tokens yourself, as opposed to trying to take two phones apart and swapping out the entire internals of your phone. The information (Sprint info) is tied to the comms board, so if you swap the board, Sprint only sees it as you having the same phone and has no idea about the swap.

If you buy a phone off ANYWHERE and tell Sprint you have a different ESN, they will charge you.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Comms board swap will not trigger the $10 fee. The board swap is a HELL of a lot easier than the whole innards swap. If you're doing the swap, you might as well do it to a Plus. There's no difference in doing the two. I suggest installing Virtual Box and Ubuntu and just learning how to do the meta-doctor to transfer tokens yourself, as opposed to trying to take two phones apart and swapping out the entire internals of your phone. The information (Sprint info) is tied to the comms board, so if you swap the board, Sprint only sees it as you having the same phone and has no idea about the swap.
    Thanks SX, that's largely what I've been looking to confirm, and really clarifies my two options!

Thanks to everybody else as well. If anyone else has other thoughts on difficulty of plussing vs an innards swap (sysboard+commboard) for this issue, feel free to chime in too.

If you only move over the comm board, you must do the token transfer process to build a working phone.

If I were to pull just the comm board and do a token carry-over, would I be better off going ahead and migrating it into the body of a pre plus at that point? Or is there generally more involved in doing that?

Basically if I can get away with physically gutting the core internals of the phone and putting it in a new cosmetic shell, thats all i'd really need to accomplish. So if pulling the system board and the comm board together can be done without huge trouble, and lets me avoid token transfers and meta-doctoring, that would be sufficient in the interim.
    If you move over both the memory board and the comm board into a new body, you don't need to do any software work. It is definitely more demanding but completely physical dis-assembly and re-assembly work and you need to take care to make sure you reassemble with good contact between the memory board and the antenna contact on the new display or you'll degrade your wi-fi and bluetooth range.

... and the downside of moving over the memory board as well is that you give up the benefit of added RAM and storage space you could get from using the body of a Pre Plus.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    If you only move over the comm board, you must do the token transfer process to build a working phone.

If you move over both the memory board and the comm board into a new body, you don't need to do any software work. It is definitely more demanding but completely physical dis-assembly and re-assembly work and you need to take care to make sure you reassemble with good contact between the memory board and the antenna contact on the new display or you'll degrade your wi-fi and bluetooth range.

... and the downside of moving over the memory board as well is that you give up the benefit of added RAM and storage space you could get from using the body of a Pre Plus.
    Great input, thanks. It's good to know that there are two methods for doing a swap that will avoid an ESN change with Sprint, and that one of them is a "hardware-only" option if anyone just wants to maintain a stock pre-, or is skiddish about working with tokens or meta-doctor.
    This got me thinking, do you actualy have to swap the comm boards or could you just doctor the two phones and swap all the tokens? Assuming both phones are Sprint ready.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    This got me thinking, do you actualy have to swap the comm boards or could you just doctor the two phones and swap all the tokens? Assuming both phones are Sprint ready.
    It sounds like the ESN is hard coded to the comm baard, so you would still have to swap it. The tokens seem to be only for programming the system board so that it matches the comm board.