Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Because mine is, granted it still doesnt feel like it will break like the old pre, but even a back swip on the gesture area makes it wobble..thinking I will have to send it back

Though Im sure if i could tighten the screws at the back it would fix the problem..just dont have the screwdriver.
    Actually, tightening the screws is not a good choice, because it can break things.

The Pre is what finally made me swear off phones with moving parts.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Actually, tightening the screws is not a good choice, because it can break things.

The Pre is what finally made me swear off phones with moving parts.

Sent from my eVo
    I was that way at first with flip phones, but over time they got much better and sturdier. It may just be a matter of time before slider tech gets as good as flip phone joints, but who knows for sure?

I'm tempted with the idea of a slab phone with a small Bluetooth keyboard, maybe just slightly bigger than the Pre's keyboard. You could keep both in separate pockets and only pull out the keyboard when needed. Maybe the keyboard could attach to the phone in some manner for when on the go and the phone could have a kickstand to prop it up on a table if you wanted to keep them apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I was that way at first with flip phones, but over time they got much better and sturdier. It may just be a matter of time before slider tech gets as good as flip phone joints, but who knows for sure?

I'm tempted with the idea of a slab phone with a small Bluetooth keyboard, maybe just slightly bigger than the Pre's keyboard. You could keep both in separate pockets and only pull out the keyboard when needed. Maybe the keyboard could attach to the phone in some manner for when on the go and the phone could have a kickstand to prop it up on a table if you wanted to keep them apart.
    I no longer worry about having a physical keyboard. I thought it would be a problem, but the adjustment wasn't as bad as I expected.

My 30 days is almost up, but I already know I'm keeping my eVo.

Sent from my eVo
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post

I do like those iphone4 slide cases with blutooth keyboards in them..I mean something like that is very nice, and would probably be the only way I would go for a touchscreen phone
    Never had an Oreo problem, mine and my wife' Verizon Pre Plus is still solid as ever.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I had to replace my Verizon Pre Plus a few weeks ago after developing the USB crack. That one never had an oreo problem, the replacement, which I assume is a refurbished one, has a bit of the oreo. I have about 5 months before the warranty expires or I can upgrade, so I'll see if it gets worse. It is a little annoying, but still love what this community has done to make my Pre a great phone.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Well, slider phones have been around for as long as flip phones giving them little excuse to have the Oreo effect, if flip phones don't have hinge issues, and from experience, they, or at least some of them, still do. My brother had a Porsche Design p'9521 from 2008 (quite a nice phone, google it if you don't know) and after a few months of usage the screen began to wobble hugely partially thanks to sub-par French screws and its general French hand made-ness. Although it did have a twisting hinge design, it shows at even the most expensive phones still suffer from oreo (or similar) issues. Thanks to that, he then got a p'9522 which is a candy-bar phone that looks like a iPhone 4 crossed between a pixi and not surprisingly, it's a lot better.
    My Pre is going on 20 months now, the slight play needed for the curved slider has not increased.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My Pre is going on 20 months now, the slight play needed for the curved slider has not increased.
    Same here. Everything looks and works like the day I bought it.
    I got a GRT case to fix my nascent oreo problem and it does indeed.

Palm Pre/Palm Pre Plus GRT Case Kit - Palm - Palm Pre - Palm Pre Plus - Verizon - AGF
    what is the oreo? Are we talking about stubborn sliders or something else? I've never had any issues resembling an oreo but my pre minus did have a slider misalignment issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    what is the oreo? Are we talking about stubborn sliders or something else? I've never had any issues resembling an oreo but my pre minus did have a slider misalignment issue.
    When the two halves of the phone get loose and develop a twist, like twisting apart an Oreo cookie.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
    These cases are awesome, and the fact that they work with a touchstone is a HUGE plus... They're a lil hard to slide at first, but once it gets broke in they're great, easily the best pre case out there.
    Knock on wood, I guess, but my Pre Plus is in excellent condition after nearly a year. The only scratch is a very small one where I goofed while plugging in the charger (pre-Touchstone) and slipped and scraped the side of the screen...hardly visible though. I have zero oreo effect on mine. I've dropped it a few times here and there and just keep it in the suede case it came with. Glad I didn't go with a Phantom Skinz or anything.
  16.    #16  

Palm Pre/Palm Pre Plus GRT Case Kit - Palm - Palm Pre - Palm Pre Plus - Verizon - AGF
    I have one for my pre, but the fitting isnt right on the pre2. I mean it still fits but because the phone is not curved around the screen it feels like it damages the slider even more.
    I did have to get a replacement Pre about 3 months ago, and it has remained solid....but....I also haven't dropped this one yet either! (fingers crossed)
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton

It would be nice if HP designed the body of the phone around this concept. Rather then using only internal rails, you also include an external channel to protect against torque.

EDIT: And thanks for that link. I've been looking for an external channel case for awhile. The only place I found them in the past was at Sprint stores. Of course, they are no longer there.
    Last edited by arrasmith; 01/29/2011 at 09:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    what is the normal play expected? i have an oreo approx a bit wider than 1mm... isthis normal?
    The oreo on mine is only getting worse because I drop it at least once every day.

Usually onto concrete, or from up high. I really need to get one of those cases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast