Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For a while, using a Q-tip and alcohol was working. I've tried compressed air too. Now, I use the Q-tip and alcohol and it will come out of headset mode for anywhere between 1-10 minutes and then go right back into headset mode. I have tried twice, after using the Q-tip method, putting a piece of tape over the hole so that no dirt would get in. This did not work, which leads me to believe a dirty hole has nothing to do with it. Any suggestions?
    Get the Ghastly headset. It's an application that allows you to force your pre in and out of headset mode. But when this happens to me I swap it out at sprint with the insurance cause it annoys me. I've had this problem with around 4 pres I'm on like my 7th or 8th pre. I lost count. Haha
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, the only fix that I have found to always work for this is Bluetooth. Period. I got a Jabra BT8040 for podcasts and a Jabra Halo for music, and I NEVER, EVER put anything in the headset jack again.
    there is no point in returning your phone all the time to get another with the same issue. that's why sprint no longer wants to carry the pre or its pre siblings
    hey I try to keep my pres as long as I can stand. I kept a pre with a non functioning keyboard for months. I hate swapping them it's a hassle I try to avoid it. I love the pre even though it has problems when I first got a pre with it stuck in handset mode I kept it for a long *** time until I was tired of making sure I forced the phone out of headset mode everytime I made a call. I hope hp/palm comes out with a phone that has great hardware and doesn't have nearly as many problems as the pre. If not I'll stick to my pre for as long as I can.
    For the sake of everyone that wants to stay with webOS, I seriously hope they redesign the headset jack. I didn't even realize that it was a common problem with a lot of their phones, until the sound went out on my son's Treo and I did a search on the issue.

If it happens with several phones in your line up, that's a cue to change that design.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I would suggest opening your pre and popping out the headphone jack. My headset was in even worst condition, no amount of rubbing alcohol and q-tips could "clean" it. After i popped out my headset i actually found that there was a large amount of dirt on the contact, which is pushed in when the headset is plugged in. There was actually so much dirt that it kept the contact pushed in. I cleaned it out with rubbing alcohol and compressed air, popped it back in and it has been almost two weeks now that i have not been in headset mode, and that is after listening to music many times within that two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I would suggest opening your pre and popping out the headphone jack. My headset was in even worst condition, no amount of rubbing alcohol and q-tips could "clean" it. After i popped out my headset i actually found that there was a large amount of dirt on the contact, which is pushed in when the headset is plugged in. There was actually so much dirt that it kept the contact pushed in. I cleaned it out with rubbing alcohol and compressed air, popped it back in and it has been almost two weeks now that i have not been in headset mode, and that is after listening to music many times within that two weeks.
    Not to be rude, but that is not something that people should have to do with their phones.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Not to be rude, but that is not something that people should have to do with their phones.

Sent from my eVo
    I completely agree, it is something which shouldn't be done, but in this case needed to be done.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    How do you pop out the headset jack? I know how to remove the back cover, but am not sure what to do next.
    I had to clean out the head phone jack on my ipod (really bad static whenever the plug was touched. Just a fact of life of an open port.
    I completely agree, it is something which shouldn't be done, but in this case needed to be done.
    I just got a different phone, problem solved.

Sent from my eVo
    For what it's worth, the Sprint repair center stores have the ability to change out the headset jack. They now charge $35 for every repair, no matter what it is, as long as the phone is repairable, even if they swap it out. Took my Pre in for headset issues, and a screen that turned on just be giving the Pre a squeeze. They replaced it even though it was out of warranty, $35. Took a Pixi in with a cracked screen (my fault), and they replaced it, $35.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer

Sent from my eVo
    It's posts like this that get people started on , don't come here if you're gonna post .. "Hey get a different phone..."

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    It's posts like this that get people started on , don't come here if you're gonna post .. "Hey get a different phone..."

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I didn't tell anyone to get a different phone, just said that's what I did.

Sent from my eVo
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I didn't tell anyone to get a different phone, just said that's what I did.

Sent from my eVo
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirte View Post
    I'm a member there, too!

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlf View Post
    How do you pop out the headset jack? I know how to remove the back cover, but am not sure what to do next.
    Here is the little guide which i followed to do it:
    Palm Pre headphone jack repair

Just be careful with it

Sent from my eVo
    Hm... i honestly can't see myself doing that. As much as the hardware problems are a pain at times, i love WebOS, can't see myself using anything else.
    Although it seems like in some cases, the cause could be a dirty headset jack, I don't think that is the usual cause. My experience leads me to believe it is more a firmware or sensor that gets stuck, sending a "headset inserted" signal continuously to the OS. I find that it only happens to me when I use headphones in the headset jack ... and I can usually unstick it by plugging and unplugging the headphones while music is playing. However, in some cases, it seems more stubborn, and I have to resort to digging out an actual headset (3 contacts instead of 2) and plugging and unplugging those in to unstick the headset mode while on a call (I just call my voicemail). I'm sure there are other causes and fixes, but this is what I've experienced.
    Try Doctoring, I had that issue for a little while, if I plugged the headset in and out, it would go away and it would come back. I Dr'd and I have not had the problem again. I use the Pre at the gym with headphones four times a week without issue.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast