Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Hm... i honestly can't see myself doing that. As much as the hardware problems are a pain at times, i love WebOS, can't see myself using anything else.
    I had many reasons for switching. The headset mode actually didn't bother me much, because I rarely talk on the phone.


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  2.    #22  
    Thanks for all the input. I have had this problem on 3 of my 7 Pre's. The first one, I actually exchanged because it was long before people knew of the issue. The Ghastly Headset is no longer available and I cannot find it. The dev stopped working on it due to a bug he could not fix. Bluetooth for music doesn't work for me when stuck in headset mode (only works for calling) which sucks because I use my stereo bluetooth for music A LOT. I think I will try taking out the headset jack and cleaning it.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Here is the little guide which i followed to do it:
    Palm Pre headphone jack repair

    Just be careful with it



    Hm... i honestly can't see myself doing that. As much as the hardware problems are a pain at times, i love WebOS, can't see myself using anything else.
    I just read through it and WOW, that might be a little more trouble than it's worth. I might just wait to see what is announced Feb. 9th...until then, it's speakerphone for EVERYONE YAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
  4. lougw's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #24  
    Am I having the same problem, or something different?

    My audio issue is on non-phone apps. I have system sounds, can use bluetooth and even speaker phone fine, but when I try to run any other app (Angry Birds, Sprint TV, Youtube) no audio. I assume it is software, since the speaker seems to work fine for the phone, but can't figure out what is causing it.

    (Palm in chat recommended an "Erase Apps/Data" restart, but haven't tried that yet because not sure it bugs me enough to go through all of that and restore.)
  5. noseph's Avatar
    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I have had this problem on 3 of my 7 Pre's. The first one, I actually exchanged because it was long before people knew of the issue. The Ghastly Headset is no longer available and I cannot find it. The dev stopped working on it due to a bug he could not fix. Bluetooth for music doesn't work for me when stuck in headset mode (only works for calling) which sucks because I use my stereo bluetooth for music A LOT. I think I will try taking out the headset jack and cleaning it.
    You can get The Ghastly Headset app here in the first post:

    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...dset-mode.html
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

    Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

    Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

    Twitter: @noseph47
  6. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Am I having the same problem, or something different?

    My audio issue is on non-phone apps. I have system sounds, can use bluetooth and even speaker phone fine, but when I try to run any other app (Angry Birds, Sprint TV, Youtube) no audio. I assume it is software, since the speaker seems to work fine for the phone, but can't figure out what is causing it.

    (Palm in chat recommended an "Erase Apps/Data" restart, but haven't tried that yet because not sure it bugs me enough to go through all of that and restore.)
    Nope, its the same. That's what happens when you're stuck in headset mode. You get no sounds other than system sounds. That's why, even if you don't use your pre as a phone much it is still a serious issue. I use mine as my clock radio (MyClock + Pandora), and it was a rude surprise when my alarm played silently in the morning.

    WARNING: an "Erase Apps/Data" restart will NOT fix the problem, but it will be a pain for you to restore. I know this because one time when I was really stuck in headset mode, I tried it before driving all the way to the Sprint Store to fix it.

    The best advice I can give you is take it to Sprint where the techs can clear the problem quickly, then NEVER EVER put ANYTHING in the headset jack again! NEVER! Use bluetooth only!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I just read through it and WOW, that might be a little more trouble than it's worth. I might just wait to see what is announced Feb. 9th...until then, it's speakerphone for EVERYONE YAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
    Not that i want to push you into it, but it is actually much easier and quicker then you think. Took me a total of about 20 minutes. IMO, 20 mins is worth it to not have this problem happen again.
  8. lougw's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Nope, its the same. That's what happens when you're stuck in headset mode. You get no sounds other than system sounds. That's why, even if you don't use your pre as a phone much it is still a serious issue. I use mine as my clock radio (MyClock + Pandora), and it was a rude surprise when my alarm played silently in the morning.

    WARNING: an "Erase Apps/Data" restart will NOT fix the problem, but it will be a pain for you to restore. I know this because one time when I was really stuck in headset mode, I tried it before driving all the way to the Sprint Store to fix it.

    The best advice I can give you is take it to Sprint where the techs can clear the problem quickly, then NEVER EVER put ANYTHING in the headset jack again! NEVER! Use bluetooth only!
    Thanks. Funny thing is I don't think I ever used my headset until after it happened, when I stuck it in to experiment.

    Will see about getting it cleaned. Thanks again for your help.
  9. #29  
    You mentioned using alcohol- have you tried using WD40? I've heard that works for a lot of people with the headset mode problem.. Kinda makes sense- maybe it needs lubrication more than cleaning per se.
    I wrote a post on fixing the "screen turning on by itself" issue in this forum, which you might want to try as well.. Mine wasn't having the headset mode problem, but the two do seem to be linked. I have no idea if that would fix it or not, but it may be worth a shot!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoric85 View Post
    You mentioned using alcohol- have you tried using WD40? I've heard that works for a lot of people with the headset mode problem.. Kinda makes sense- maybe it needs lubrication more than cleaning per se.
    I wrote a post on fixing the "screen turning on by itself" issue in this forum, which you might want to try as well.. Mine wasn't having the headset mode problem, but the two do seem to be linked. I have no idea if that would fix it or not, but it may be worth a shot!
    sometimes my screen does turn on and off on it's own so I think I have the same issue. I will search the forums for your post.
  11.    #31  
    So, the ghastly headset works to some extent. It completely disables bluetooth though...
  12. staeit's Avatar
    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #32  
    It amazes me that people still stick by a phone that has so many design and practical problems. I especially mean the people who have gone through more than 3 phones. Why continue with a piece of garbage? My iPhone has yet to experience a single issue.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoric85 View Post
    You mentioned using alcohol- have you tried using WD40? I've heard that works for a lot of people with the headset mode problem.. Kinda makes sense- maybe it needs lubrication more than cleaning per se.
    I wrote a post on fixing the "screen turning on by itself" issue in this forum, which you might want to try as well.. Mine wasn't having the headset mode problem, but the two do seem to be linked. I have no idea if that would fix it or not, but it may be worth a shot!
    I used this method several months ago when a refurb I received was doing this. Sprayed a little WD40 onto my headset jack, plugged it in/out while applying pressure at different angles. I had to do this 2, maybe 3 separate times but it's been 2 months now with no issues.
  14. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #34  
    If you have insurance, take it to Sprint. They replaced my headphone jack and had it back to me in less than an hour. No doctoring, no problems.
    Dan
  15. #35  
    I would not use WD-40, it's hard on some plastics. Maybe 2-26 lube but I've never used it on a phone. I have used di-electric grease to help with crackling. My launch day Sprint Pre has only been stuck in headset mode once and that was when it was new. I've never cleaned the headset jack with anything....maybe dirt I'd good :-)
  16. #36  
    If Ghastly headset says its on speaker mode but nothing comes out the front speaker, is it just a busted speaker? I pretty much can't use my phone as a normal phone right now, only speaker or bluetooth modes..
  17. iradeut's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #37  
    I'm having intermittent static and the left channel cuts in and out on my headset. I tried a third party headset just to make sure it wasn't a short, and it had the same problem. The strange thing is that it always works fine as long as I am holding the pre in my hand. As soon as I put it in a pocket, the problems begin. It seems to me that this is some kind of electrostatic problem. When I hold it, am I grounding it? Is this possible?

    --Ira
  18. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I have had this problem on 3 of my 7 Pre's. The first one, I actually exchanged because it was long before people knew of the issue. The Ghastly Headset is no longer available and I cannot find it. The dev stopped working on it due to a bug he could not fix. Bluetooth for music doesn't work for me when stuck in headset mode (only works for calling) which sucks because I use my stereo bluetooth for music A LOT. I think I will try taking out the headset jack and cleaning it.
    Yeah, when I suggested BT I meant that you have to fix the problem first, then you can prevent it from occurring again using BT only. I have had some luck with something called an interdental brush. It's what people with braces use to clean between their teeth. Using that with a can of compressed air, I was able to un-stick it for the last time, then I went all BT. No more problems.
  19. #39  
    I'm actually encountering the same problems and I definitely think the "stuck in headset mode"and "screen turns on by itself" problems are related. I tried using alcohol and it didn't really work. I can only get it to work when I turn on my music player and unplug the headphones. I'm afraid to use too much alcohol or WD40 in my phone as I'm concerned it may ruin the phone completely. How many users have had success with WD40 because I wanna try it, but I'm worried. I don't want to go to Sprint for repairs, they'll just give me another phone that will eventually have the same problem. My last Pre had this problem and they sent me another one which wound up developing the same problem. I'm amazed at the crappy quality of this phone and how we are so committed to sticking to it no matter what. Some of us have gone through up to SEVEN phones!!! That doesn't say much for the build of Palm's hardware, but it says a lot for the how dedicated some of us are to the Palm Pre. I'm on my second Pre and I don't think I'm gonna go for a third one if I can't fix this problem myself.
  20. #40  
    When I had this issue, I just returned the Pre and they gave me another one at the Sprint store, free of charge (so long as you have the insurance).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions