1.    #1  
    Last week I went to make a call on my Sprint Pre and found out the person I was calling couldn't hear me at all, but I could hear them. This was odd behavior as the phone worked fine the night before sighting on the touchstone.

I've had issues with the headset mode getting stuck in the past, but this seems to be a different issue. Even if I put the phone into Speakerphone mode to potentially force the phone mic/speaker to work, no one can hear me, and the Video recorder doesn't record any sound either.

I've tried cleaning the headest jack just to be sure, and no luck. Also not patch related as I've cleared them with the WebOS repair utility. Obviously the phone is out of warranty.

What (if any) are my options? Am I basically screwed with this Pre?

-Dev
    Do you have the Sprint insurance?

If not and they can fix it, it should only cost $35.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3.    #3  
    No insurance. Never needed it on any of my phones until now. Sprint will repair it for ~$120 or so they say, and Palm offers to repair it for $200. I'm contract-eligible for a new Phone, but that would defeat the purpose of keeping a Pre.

Was curious to see if anyone had any potential hardware fixes or had encountered the problem before.

Worst case, I use the phone with a headest for 8 more months until my contract is up. Best case, a new WebOS phone comes out on Sprint soon.
    There are plenty of links if you look through the threads. I might suggest having insurance with Sprint if you are going to keep a smartphone. They are really cool about taking care of you. You can try eBay for a cheap one?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    There are plenty of links if you look through the threads. I might suggest having insurance with Sprint if you are going to keep a smartphone. They are really cool about taking care of you. You can try eBay for a cheap one?
    Any of the forum posts I find through search just result in people still under warranty getting a replacement/refurb, nothing relating to the issue I'm having, hence my own thread.
  6.    #6  
    Looks like there is hope for me yet. I threw a vacuum hose up against the mic hole, trying to get the best seal I could, then tested the phone with a call to my office line. I got some faint voice across, and me blowing into the mic also came across faintly. Seems like theres a film of gunk and dirt inside the microphone hole and I can't get it out. What is the best way to clean it?
    I may have recently experienced something similar with the video camera .... transferred a video to the web, and there was no sound for a large portion of the video, but then it kicked in.

I am wondering if this is the beginning of the same problem. Q-tips and rubbing alcohol are the solutions for the headphone jack ... not sure what tool is small enough to use for the microphone hole .... anyone?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    I may have recently experienced something similar with the video camera .... transferred a video to the web, and there was no sound for a large portion of the video, but then it kicked in.

I am wondering if this is the beginning of the same problem. Q-tips and rubbing alcohol are the solutions for the headphone jack ... not sure what tool is small enough to use for the microphone hole .... anyone?
    Well, I had no luck fixing the microphone issue, been stuck using the phone with a headset since it is the only way I can talk.

Today I go to use the phone and the power button doesn't depress properly, I pry a little to see why, and it looks like the board the power button is attached to has worn/bent so that its now at an angle and the button can't hit it properly. I can't wait 6 months for a Pre 3, so I'm going to pick up an HTC EVO Shift 4G after work.

Sorry Palm, I loved WebOS, but no new sprint hardware, and shoddy old phones doesn't help it.
    Yaaaaaa, you could get a replacement Pre for like $50 on craigslist...Just saying.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Yaaaaaa, you could get a replacement Pre for like $50 on craigslist...Just saying.
    I don't trust any used electronics device I can't verify that works before I purchase it. I know what happens to devices I own, and devices others own.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Devwar View Post
    No insurance. Never needed it on any of my phones until now. Sprint will repair it for ~$120 or so they say, and Palm offers to repair it for $200. I'm contract-eligible for a new Phone, but that would defeat the purpose of keeping a Pre.

Was curious to see if anyone had any potential hardware fixes or had encountered the problem before.

Worst case, I use the phone with a headest for 8 more months until my contract is up. Best case, a new WebOS phone comes out on Sprint soon.
    $120? Sprint will replace a device if you don't have TEP for $35. Read the chart here: http://shop.sprint.com/assets/pdfs/e...pectations.pdf
  12.    #12  
    Also, power button fixed, jammed some paper under the button so it works again. Now if only I could get the mic to work...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    $120? Sprint will replace a device if you don't have TEP for $35. Read the chart here:
    Those are costs for repairable damage. Irreparable damage depends on the phone for cost of replacement, quoted at around $120. Not to mention I have that "not a manufacturer's defect" manufacturer's defect of a crack coming out of my USB port, so they won't even touch it.
    Last edited by Devwar; 02/11/2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Devwar View Post
    Those are costs for repairable damage. Irreparable damage depends on the phone for cost of replacement, quoted at around $120. Not to mention I have that "not a manufacturer's defect" manufacturer's defect of a crack coming out of my USB port, so they won't even touch it.
    "Many repairs can be resolved same day and in some cases in about an hour. Some issues will be resolved by exchanging the device. Device replacements may arrive within 2-3 business days." That to me says they will replace it for $35
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    "Many repairs can be resolved same day and in some cases in about an hour. Some issues will be resolved by exchanging the device. Device replacements may arrive within 2-3 business days." That to me says they will replace it for $35
    I've spoken to sprint already, hence the $120 quote. The line about exchanging the device is in cases where the device is repairable, but not at that moment. Like "We can fix it, but not here, we'll give you this refurb if you'd like".