1.    #1  
    I have been using a Treo Pro for a year now and never really enjoyed the Windows OS, so while my phone doesn't need replaced, I am considering a Pre Plus.

My Treo Pro has an app called NoData which allows me to turn off the phones ability to connect to the wireless network and access data. I have looked (and called Palm for a very long and useless conversation) and cannot find a similar app for the Web OS. I don't want this phone if there is not a way for me to control its access to the wireless data usage.

I do not have unlimited data on my plan. I am in a wifi hotspot 90% of the time. Can I use this phone to turn off and on data access over the wireless network only when I want, the same way I can with my Treo Pro???

Thanks!
    In short - of course yes!

You can turn off data usage off in the phone settings. Don't need an extra app.

It can also be automated by using an app like mode switcher, which can control these settings based on triggers, like time, gps etc
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I don't use them, but there are a few patches for this in Preware. For example... Doesn't the patch "Data in Device Menu" do something like you're asking?
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  4.    #4  
    OK. Thanks. I assume the phone works properly on wifi access alone most of the time. I just don't want it accessing network data when I don't want it to.
    I tend to use wifi most of the time and have a limited data plan.
    also the battery life is better with data switched off and wifi browsing is much faster.
    No problems at all, go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by preza View Post
    OK. Thanks. I assume the phone works properly on wifi access alone most of the time. I just don't want it accessing network data when I don't want it to.
    In my experience, MEDIA messages (pics, sounds etc) don't come through when I have 3G data disabled. Texts come through fine, but if the message has a pic attached, I don't get it (message OR text) until I reactivate data...

I don't know of a workaround...

Mals
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malstorme View Post
    In my experience, MEDIA messages (pics, sounds etc) don't come through when I have 3G data disabled. Texts come through fine, but if the message has a pic attached, I don't get it (message OR text) until I reactivate data...

I don't know of a workaround...

Mals
    That's fine. I don't send/receive pic texts anyway. I used to have a data block on my plan and got used to no pic messages. I'm really hoping this phone will be what I expected the Treo Pro to be...
    Quote Originally Posted by preza View Post
    That's fine. I don't send/receive pic texts anyway. I used to have a data block on my plan and got used to no pic messages. I'm really hoping this phone will be what I expected the Treo Pro to be...
    In most cases, it will be far better than you expected from the Treo Pro. Maybe you should list your needs/expectations so we can save you the pain of surprise/disappointment if you need something specific...

The limitations I see for hard-core Treo/Centro users are:

The current lack of document editing (coming later this year according to Palm)

Desktop sync is not included with the phone. It will sync to Exchange, but if you are one of the millions like me that want to sync with Outlook, you either have to do it through gmail, or buy a 3rd party app like Pocket Mirror (PM is what I use) or CompanionLink.

Battery life. Lots of tricks to improve battery life (turning off 3G really helps battery life btw) to get through the day. Get an extended battery or a spare battery, and keep touchstone chargers in the places you regularly set the phone down so it will get some charging any time it's idle.

There are a few PalmOS apps that aren't available on webOS. Some have been replaced by a different app, some just aren't available. But the catalog is growing... that's why you should list your "must have" apps or features.

And plan on installing Preware, overclocking, etc. The speed and customization possibilities are endless.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I like the Quick System Tasks app in Preware
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I do not recall doing anything special, but when WiFi is connected my 3G Data icon goes away and only returns when WiFi is no longer connected. I have been assuming that when the 3G icon is not present the 3G will not connect.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Wi-Fi takes priority over carrier data so if you are connected to a wireless hotspot you will be using the wi-fi data instead of carrier, once you disconnect from the wireless network data will began being sent over the carriers network.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts