1.    #1  
    I have a Pre Plus but no data plan so I can't get into the phone. What method can I take to be able to use my phone without a data plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by pamlatt View Post
    I have a Pre Plus but no data plan so I can't get into the phone. What method can I take to be able to use my phone without a data plan?
    Some friends told me that they've managed to put data on through customer care... And later goto attwireless.com and remove the feature

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    ^^but won't at&t still charge it to my bill the first month?
    Is the device activated with a carrier?

What do you mean, "can't get into the phone"? At what point are you stuck? Creating the Palm Profile? If that is the case,

You have a couple of choices...

1. Meta-Doctor the thing or
    2. Run the Palm Bypass Tool (Find that section on the page I linked to.)

Depending on your situation the Meta-Doctor can get you past activation, enable Palm Profile creation (via WIFI), etc... The Palm Bypass Tool allows you to bypass the Palm Profile creation after Doctoring/wiping the device. (I did this to a Sprint Pixi that is not activated. Since it has no WIFI, I am still able to use the device by side loading apps/patches)

Sounds like maybe your best bet would be the Meta-Doctor. Here is the P|C link for that http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html

EDIT: I see you're not at 10 posts yet. You'll have to search for those items until you can see the links.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  5.    #5  
    I have an At&t Sim card I want to use the phone without a data plan, I want to be able to make calls and such on my device. What is the best method to take to accomplish this?
    I have an At&t Sim card I want to use the phone without a data plan, I want to be able to make calls and such on my device. What is the best method to take to accomplish this?
    Well you'll need to activate it with your carrier. Whether or not they'll allow you to do so without a data plan is beyond me.

Do you already have a Palm Profile associated with this Pre+ device or was this device wiped and you are trying to use if for the first time?

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    ^^but won't at&t still charge it to my bill the first month?
    prorated
  8.    #8  
    Is there any way I can get past the activation step??
    Is there any way I can get past the activation step??
    See my first post in this thread. You'll need to use the meta-doctor.
    did you get the phone from at&t or their retailer? because when i try to get it, they make me get the data plan. can i get the phone w/ the data plan then remove it after putting the sim card in a dumb phone and then putting it back in the pre?
    use the palm bypass tool mentioned above. Install preware and install the show firstrun patch, and the patch to disable cell data. Then put the simcard in & run firstrun.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I just used Meta-Doctor (search online, use the instruction on WebOS Internals)

I unlocked AT&T Palm Pre Plus (had a friend who is on ATT call customer service to get the code) and then bypassed the first use app using Meta-Doctor instruction.

If you're new to linux commands it may be a bit overwhelming. But instructions are very straight forward and easy if you know anything at all about linux command line.
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    use the palm bypass tool mentioned above. Install preware and install the show firstrun patch, and the patch to disable cell data. Then put the simcard in & run firstrun.
    Antijingoist,
    I was just wondering since you won't be on a normal data plan if you would still get the preware after running the bypass tool? Because it says: "App Catalog content will not be available. You will be able to launch the App Catalog client on the device, but you won't see any apps." on the page it sends you to.
    If you put an AT&T SIM into your phone (before or after activation) they will detect that it's a smart phone. You will definitely get a data plan automatically added to your account. Double check on this, because everyone I know of has had this happen. Just be warned...