Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I like my phone, it has its problems, we all know that. Shortage of apps, ya I have almost 200 on my phone and might use 10 on a regular basis, not counting the built in ones. Poor build quality, my insurance takes care of that providing I find something wrong within the 120 days of my replacement.

My friend has an iPhone 3G and just updated his iOS to v4.2 and for some reason all his contacts, and all his apps disappeared. He is livid, (as a contractor his clients, and suppliers numbers that he needed most are gone)hates his phone, hates the OS, says his phone is hard to use and on and on....

I kept this out of the help thread I made up for him in cross platform, I didn't want to stir anything up while asking for help, but I thought I would share this. What a stupid way to update, by syncing to iTunes, and then having all your contacts and apps wiped out....Shouldn't that sort of thing be made impossible to happen?

Some might argue that maybe he shouldn't have solely relied on his phone as his source of numbers. Call it a bad habit, but I rely on my phone for phone numbers and have no other record for my numbers, I'm on my 5th phone, and I've never lost a number, never had to re-enter a number, even those contacts that don't sync via facebook, they seamlessly (magically in another thread ) re-appear.

I have had issues with apps not showing up when going from my 3rd to 4th, and to be honest, I didn't even care because I had so many. I sure was surprised when I got my 5th and it decided to remember that I had almost 200.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Yeah, it's fortunate that this sort of thing is impossible with webOS because I'd hate for a lawsuit to be file against such a marvel.
    losing data aside, the dependence of iOS to a physical computer is stupid, purely designed to bundle people down in apple's ecosystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    losing data aside, the dependence of iOS to a physical computer is stupid, purely designed to bundle people down in apple's ecosystem.
    Unfortunately they ALL do it. Android bundles you to Google's services. Palm to Palm Profile (and whatever HP is working on next). Apple to their stuff. Whether it's cloud or local sync, you are tied in. Would be nice if you could buy a phone and do whatever you want with it (like you can with a computer), but that's not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Unfortunately they ALL do it. Android bundles you to Google's services. Palm to Palm Profile (and whatever HP is working on next). Apple to their stuff. Whether it's cloud or local sync, you are tied in. Would be nice if you could buy a phone and do whatever you want with it (like you can with a computer), but that's not the case.
    Thats not what I said.

what I said users need to physically connect iOS devices to a computer to do many things, update through iTunes is just one of them.
    i can use google for syncing or facebook or yahoo but what i want to use is a program on my computer so i can sync easily and quickly just like the palm sync we used to have . i am talling about contacts my self so if i lose them over the air then i can re-add any time i like or need !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Thats not what I said.

what I said users need to physically connect iOS devices to a computer to do many things, update through iTunes is just one of them.
    You also said it was
    purely designed to bundle people down in apple's ecosystem.
    I commented on that point.
    While loss of data and connection information can occur when using cloud based backup systems it is fortunately not as common as some may think. I feel that one should never depend on a single source backup system with cellphone or PC based information. Stuff happens - but people can be prepared for it by simply taking a few precautions.
    I think that I have been very lucky in that my Pre Plus is a launch day device that has had zero problems and has never even been to the Doctor. I still have backups for my contacts on Google and Yahoo; I also have a reminder in my phone to do a manual backup once a week using the Backup App, and copy the contents of my USB drive to my desktop. By the way – I also use a Clickfree device on all my desktop and laptop computers once a month.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/23/2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: language edit
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    what first post ? or what second post lol ltm lol ltm ha ha ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what first post ? or what second post lol ltm lol ltm ha ha ??
    Yeah, sorry. I realized that I saw the wrong name and deleted the post. Apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i can use google for syncing or facebook or yahoo but what i want to use is a program on my computer so i can sync easily and quickly just like the palm sync we used to have . i am talling about contacts my self so if i lose them over the air then i can re-add any time i like or need !
    Yep, that's why I still sync to Outlook with Pocket Mirror. And occasionally I sync to my Centro, just for redundant redundancy. It's saved my **** more than once...
    Yeah, it's fortunate that this sort of thing is impossible with webOS because I'd hate for a lawsuit to be file against such a marvel.
    Fortunately those were 2009 issues. Still isn't perfect, but improving continuously

Do you happen to know if Palm ended up having to pay the people in that suit? I hadn't heard about that before since I didn't move to a Pre until VZW started "selling" it...
    I too find the requirement of linking the phone with a computer quite odd. Why should I have to own a computer in order to own a phone? Totally makes no sense to me. I have only once ever made the umbilical cord connection, which was to install preware, which is an entirely optional step, certainly not something required of the average user.
    its not that simple .. but i like how you put it.

there are definately times when it is a necessity so while for you it may not be, people do like options
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Fortunately those were 2009 issues. Still isn't perfect, but improving continuously

Do you happen to know if Palm ended up having to pay the people in that suit? I hadn't heard about that before since I didn't move to a Pre until VZW started "selling" it...
    I don't know what happened to the case. Didn't really follow it. It never affected me because I've never lost any of my information this way during my year with the Pre. It seemed like there were only a few isolated incidents just like this iPhone user's issue seems isolated. I would not rank either case as "another reason" to skip either platform (hence the intended sarcasm of my first post). Naturally, I'd feel differently if it were more widespread (on either platform).
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    I too find the requirement of linking the phone with a computer quite odd. Why should I have to own a computer in order to own a phone? Totally makes no sense to me. I have only once ever made the umbilical cord connection, which was to install preware, which is an entirely optional step, certainly not something required of the average user.
    You don't have to. You do if you want to back it up and since most phones serve as music storage also, that makes sense. As an iphone users, I'd love true cloud storage but I just don't want to pay for Mobile Me so I don't mind plugging in.

To OP whose friend lost all his stuff can I just say: Operator Error. He's a bonehead.
    That is one of the things I love about Android, I've been able to completely move to the cloud.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Because (in my case) my computer is more critical to job and life than a mobile phone. Both are very important, but I have alternatives like land lines, payphones, etc. If my computer dies, I'm in bad shape. So, that becomes the hub for everything I do, the source of every backup I create, and the official version of any file that gets duplicated anywhere else.

It's no burden for me to "need to own a PC" and I believe that more households have a PC than have a cell phone...
  19.    #19  
    I don't know what happened to the case. Didn't really follow it. It never affected me because I've never lost any of my information this way during my year with the Pre. It seemed like there were only a few isolated incidents just like this iPhone user's issue seems isolated. I would not rank either case as "another reason" to skip either platform (hence the intended sarcasm of my first post). Naturally, I'd feel differently if it were more widespread (on either platform).
    Oh you were being sarcastic>....I hardly noticed...thanks for pointing that out

My main point being, the guy that wiped his phone out, is not what you would call a techy sort of guy. An average joe type of user, he didn't know about TiPb.com, I did direct him there, not sure if he followed up on it or not. I also dug up similar threads while trying to help him out and there were several cases of the exact same thing happening to other people, may not have been a lot, but this isn't an isolated incident. Something to do with having an advanced contacts checkbox being checked, so that it syncs all contacts on your computer to your phone, so IF you don't have ANY contacts stored on your computer, it overwrites your phone with 0 contacts.

Nice 2009 articles, before my time, and also, non-user related. (vs. user related) cue the dinger....cause that's the point. Even if I did a full erase on my phone, my contacts would still come back, as would my apps. I can't think of a way to wipe my phone out permanently, not saying it can't be done, maybe I know enough to not accidentally do that.

If you heard the guy complain about his phone as much as I have, then you would also know why, in my mind, it's another reason to skip that platform. (and yes I know he's on a 3G and now they have the 4 and a newer one coming out) but it's no different than you complaining about the Pre to all your friends and I'm sure you've convinced them all not to use anything remotely close to Palm/webOS/HP.....just sayin'
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    To OP whose friend lost all his stuff can I just say: Operator Error. He's a bonehead.
    The fact that it is POSSIBLE to make an error and wipe your phone out, in my mind, is kinda stupid. If you read into it a little more, I said he wasn't that techy, and he made a mistake, hardly a bonehead though, bonehead move, not a bonehead, get a clue.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast