Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    there were several cases of the exact same thing happening to other people, may not have been a lot, but this isn't an isolated incident.
    I believe I said "a few isolated incidents". Plural.

Nice 2009 articles, before my time
    The point was to show that it happens on other systems and is a counter point to your "as if I need another reason" statement.

, and also, non-user related. (vs. user related) cue the dinger....cause that's the point.
    Ah, so a system that failed (due to no fault of the user) to perform a function can be ignored while a user making a mistake is "another reason" against another system. I believe that dinger should be held on to just a bit longer.

Even if I did a full erase on my phone, my contacts would still come back, as would my apps. I can't think of a way to wipe my phone out permanently, not saying it can't be done, maybe I know enough to not accidentally do that.
    Judging from the forums here and the lawsuit filing, it's not only possible, it has actually happened. Again, this is not to say it's widespread. And as I've stated, I do not see this as a reason to stay away from webOS just like I do not see your post as a reason to stay away from iOS (especially now that you're saying it was a user error).

If you heard the guy complain about his phone as much as I have, then you would also know why, in my mind, it's another reason to skip that platform. (and yes I know he's on a 3G and now they have the 4 and a newer one coming out) but it's no different than you complaining about the Pre to all your friends and I'm sure you've convinced them all not to use anything remotely close to Palm/webOS/HP.....just sayin'
    That's funny because none of my friends ask me about the Pre or anything webOS related. As for my family member who are still on the device, they have decided long ago that they are done with Palm the moment they qualify for the full Sprint upgrade. You know who is convincing people not to buy Palm products? Palm!
    The fact that it is POSSIBLE to make an error and wipe your phone out, in my mind, is kinda stupid.
    I guess Linus was "kinda stupid" to allow
    rm -rf
  3.    #23  
    you and I are of different circles I suppose, and that's ok. ....it's what makes the world go round.

as for that above rm -rf.... I'm not entirely sure what that means... But I'm guessing something where you get into your command line and start messing with files, I really was talking about basic operations when the possibility of wiping your phone out, not the occasion where somebody thinks they know what they are doing and wipes their phone out. There's a huge difference there.

it's one thing doing an update and another digging into your phone to try and change things.

anyhow thanks for the discussion
    you and I are of different circles I suppose, and that's ok. ....it's what makes the world go round.

as for that above rm -rf.... I'm not entirely sure what that means... But I'm guessing something where you get into your command line and start messing with files, I really was talking about basic operations when the possibility of wiping your phone out, not the occasion where somebody thinks they know what they are doing and wipes their phone out. There's a huge difference there.

it's one thing doing an update and another digging into your phone to try and change things.

rm -rf is linux command to remove everything on the file system, its definitely not something your average user will be typing into a command prompt ay time soon. I think he might just be trying irrelevant arguments to try to win the fight.

But yes, I also see the requirement of having to use a pc to create a back up as a pain. And I don't think losing data on ios is as isolated as you think, certainly I have seen it happen to all my friends who have had their iphones replaced due to faults.
    Some people might like having to back up to a pc, but for the vast majority the auto back up of Palm is an excellent solution. It is something you never have to worry about, as opposed to something you have to learn and them remember to plug in and do often. I know which system I prefer.

And yes I do think it is a valid reason for avoiding a platform. Certainly after using Palm's synergy I would not change to a device that did not have an equivalent or better system.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Isn't the palm profile issue related to after performing an update the phone downloads a corrupted palm profile missing contacts/info and then the next time the palm profile is backed up it backs up the corrupted profile basically wiping out all your info?

I remember seeing a guide on this very board to use a new palm profile after a updating then move back to the old one.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Isn't the palm profile issue related to after performing an update the phone downloads a corrupted palm profile missing contacts/info and then the next time the palm profile is backed up it backs up the corrupted profile basically wiping out all your info?

I remember seeing a guide on this very board to use a new palm profile after a updating then move back to the old one.
    to be honest I've never heard about such issues, not saying they can't / don't happen. Guess I've been lucky and that is a valid point for periodically having another back-up that doesn't rely on the Palm servers. Being that I am on my 5th and haven't had an issue with those regards, it's the way it should be
    The bonehead part is not in making the mistake, but in blaming the phone.

Every phone (that I know of) has the capacity to be wiped. And all of them, including via iTunes, gives some version of "are you sure??" before completing it.

So sure accidents happen. I get that, but making sure you know what you're doing is part of the package. It DOES confirm the process, so clicking "yes" is all on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    rm -rf is linux command to remove everything on the file system, its definitely not something your average user will be typing into a command prompt ay time soon. I think he might just be trying irrelevant arguments to try to win the fight.
    Someone says "the fact that something is possible" is stupid. I reply by showing the very thing is possible and you call it irrelevant by re-qualifying the initial statement. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    And yes I do think it is a valid reason for avoiding a platform. Certainly after using Palm's synergy I would not change to a device that did not have an equivalent or better system.
    So it's a reason to avoid one platform but not the other when it's happened on both? More wow.

This thing has not been demonstrated to be a major, widespread, issue on either platform. It is not a reason to avoid either platform.
    while i agree with part of that statement, there still needs to be a localized backup if something goes wrong .. like when you sync with Blackberry desktop manager it will save the backup and point you to where it is if something went wrong.

but youre right, you cant really blame the sw
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Someone says "the fact that something is possible" is stupid. I reply by showing the very thing is possible and you call it irrelevant by re-qualifying the initial statement. Wow.

So it's a reason to avoid one platform but not the other when it's happened on both? More wow.

This thing has not been demonstrated to be a major, widespread, issue on either platform. It is not a reason to avoid either platform.
    I know it's difficult but try to take things for the context they are written in.

The command prompt requires that you enable developer mode on a pre, learn how to nova into a pre, download the doctor for the pre and know the rm -rf command. Now that isn't your average user, that's not even your interested in homebrew user. If you were to do this then it would not be done by accident.
    My point is to show that to wipe a pre and its profile is more difficult than a couple of clicks on itunes (which can be done by accident if not concentrating)

Again, you took my last point out of context. I was not saying to you should avoid a platform because its back up system in a rare case may fail. I was saying that the vast majority of people are not going to plug in their phone to a pc often enough to keep a back up, as opposed to having a system that auto-backs up daily without the need of a pc. I was saying that I would avoid any platform that didn't offer the latter option.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    That is one of the things I love about Android, I've been able to completely move to the cloud.

Sent from my eVo
    I've moved completely to the cloud on my Pre.
  12.    #32  
    And that right there was my point. Being able to accidentally erase your device with a few simple clicks, regardless of an "Are you sure? Y/N", is imo, not a good system FOR ME. I rarely plug my phone into my PC anymore, because of WiFi Media Sync. I had already made stance against Apple long before hearing any external input from people I know that owned such products. My main issue, I had an ex that owned an iPod (she loved it and iTunes)... Me not so much, I liked my mp3 player and having 2 windows open and click drag and drop. I don't do playlists, I make them on the fly, it's my preferred method. I knew that you needed iTunes for an iPhone, my decision was already narrowed down before I started, (deciding on a smartphone). So with that being said, I did NOT say that this was THE reason I will not choose an iPhone, but it certainly contributes to my reasoning. Here's to a successful 2011 for HP.....and if it does crap out and fail....so be it...there's a ton of other phones out there that I can pick from, and from my Pre experiene, I think I'm a lot wiser from it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12