1.    #1  
    This started as a low battery sign(and still is) but my charger got bumped out of the wall, I woke up to my phone being off on the touchstone, I powered it on and got the battery sign, I plugged the phone in(not the touchstone) and after a few minutes it fired up with 100% battery life...

Later in the day I went to check my email and it wouldn't drag up to unlock the screen, it was frozen..the battery was about 50%..I opened the slider, nothing..I powered it off then on again and went to battery sign and has been there since..

I had it charging for 2 hrs, nothing...I have two batteries, both charged and neither will take it off the screen..I left the battery out all night and still nothing...

Anybody have this problem? Is the phone toast? My batteries are both good and had plenty of juice so they aren't low enough to give low battery sign..

What can I do? Any tricks to unlock it? I'm not too much of a geek so be easy on me.. (and geek is a compliment)

Thanks..

And I have no idea what a bricked phone is, I assumed it just meant locked up..sorry for being ignorant..
    Last edited by pickleowl; 01/21/2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: added definition
    No help from me, except the term "brick" usually means that your phone is so FUBARed that the only thing it is good for is literally, a "brick". If you have enough of these "brick" phones, you can make a wall, bridge, house, etc. (Sorry about your phone, I'm sure it's not that funny).
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Just doctor it. search the forums for how to recover palm pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    OK, a few things to consider.

Do you have warranty?
    How do you know your bateries are charged?)
    Do you have an alternative means to charge batteries and check their status? (second Pre?)

Reason I'm asking is your Pre's modem firmware could be corrupted, leaving the Pre unable to charge.
    Read this and check if this applies to your situation: www.webos-internals.org/wiki/ModemFW_Flash (currently offline it seems)
    Or check this: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2674345
    (please note these instructions are for GSM - you will have to adapt for CDMA).

Do not Doctor the device. Not just because someone just tells you to without giving any plausible explanation.
    Again just doctor it. would not consider returning it until you try it. DO NOT LISTEN to guy from name this will not result in a unrecoverable error. If after doctoring you still get the same error you probably have a hardware issue but that is impossible to tell right now. Again the forums have a great thread on recovering your device and doctoring is always a pretty failsafe way to solve most problems. That is why Palm provides it.
    I would first try the simple things..
    Shutdown, remove battery, put battery back. Restart.

Also see the 6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - 6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again
    here's something:
    Is there not a REQUIRED battery level before you can do a Doctor? Just sayin'
    ... how old is your battery? IMHO they are like milk (not wine) and sometimes you may need a new one. Doctor seems like a good idea, but if you have had the battery for a while you may want to consider a new one.

Additionally, have you tried rebooting the phone? This wasn't clear from your entry, but also may be a good idea
    <This Page is Blank>
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    LOL Ok doctor it.
    See you back when you're done.
    I actually would listen to GuyFromNam. He is "our" Firmware Doc ;-)
    It sounds unlikely that it's a battery problem when you have 2 of them but who knows.
    Would be really good if you could charge a battery some where else and try.
  9.    #9  
    One battery I have is the original, 6 mths old and at 60% at crash and I bought a brand new one as a backup and had a seperate wallcharger charging it so I'm fairly confident that the batteries are good..

I did do some reboots, I guess, holding power button down and switching ringer switch over 3 times, to no avail...and yes, I had batteries out and in and it charged via touchstone, wall, computer and car nothing would change the state it was in..

I have not doctored but my computer will not recognize it even being there so I don't know how to do that..with my computer not seeing it I mean..

Palm support could not help either, had me to some things and said it was a hardware issue or something and is having me call ATT to get a replacement..but was trying everything else before that..

Thanks everybody..looks like I'm getting a brand new Pre+ but I was overclocking at 1g so I hope this doesn't rear it's head but I think it might...everyone keep their fingers crossed for me
    FYI, they know as soon as you install the new kernel and let it run for a 24 hour period. The device sends in reports or logs that also document what type of kernel that is installed. Aside from my first Pre, which I couldn't get any patches or Preware etc on, my other 3 Pre's that I've turned in had all been overclocked, patched, and tweaked as much as possible. I wouldn't worry too much, you were using a stable kernel ie UK and not SR71(i believe that one is still considered alpha and therefore unstable). I'm not 100% but I don't think there actually has been a case of anyone getting declined warranty work, although they do reserve the right to refuse. Best of luck to you and probably wouldn't hurt to bump this thread occasionally over the next few days, perhaps someone that can help you isn't around at the moment.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks sledge007.. I didn't know that, I thought once they got the phone a red flag would shoot up and I would be hosed.. that makes me feel better about it..

Palm had me do many more things, one being trying to doctor it but since the computer won't recognize it's there and the phone won't go into USB mode it wouldn't work I guess..

So a replacement phone is on the way, under warranty so all is good..

Who on here has phone insurance? I didn't the first time around but I may look into that next time with this experience..
    I always keep the insurance on my phones, just in case.

Plus, I have a teen on my plan and you never know!!!!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by pickleowl View Post
    Thanks sledge007.. I didn't know that, I thought once they got the phone a red flag would shoot up and I would be hosed.. that makes me feel better about it..

Palm had me do many more things, one being trying to doctor it but since the computer won't recognize it's there and the phone won't go into USB mode it wouldn't work I guess..

So a replacement phone is on the way, under warranty so all is good..

Who on here has phone insurance? I didn't the first time around but I may look into that next time with this experience..
    I have insurance on mine. I've normally carried it because my employer was paying my monthly bill. But I'm paying it now... so I may drop it soon.

The problem with the insurance is that it is only good for lost/stolen phones in the first year - because the device is under warranty. But you have to be carrying insurance from day 1 or you can't get the coverage. That means the year-1 payments are mostly buying you the right to get coverage for year 2. By the time I'm at the end of year 2, my insurance will have cost about the same as what I paid for the phone as an upgrade.

I generally don't carry insurance on a phone once I am eligible for an upgrade, or if I can easily buy a cheap replacement on eBay. The Pre+ will probably reach that stage once Palm starts shipping their new hotness, IMHO.
    Wow! Your insurance sucks!

Sprint also gives you 30 days to add it and, even in the first year, it covers breakage, water damage and etc.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    My insurance $7/month covers everything, but if it's my own fault ie I physically broke it or took it for swimming lessons, then I have to pay a deductible $150 I believe ( did that on my first Pre ). Things I have gotten free replacements for, shipped directly to my door, 2 blown speakers, and the last one (it's borderline weak, I'll admit, ) I told them a loose battery was unacceptable in my opinion and if I was paying the insurance for a GOOD replacement then loose battery is not GOOD, and so I have a new phone, and all shipped to my front door, the longest between phoning in and receiving the phone was 4 days, I believe because I called on a Thursday night and didn't get it until Tuesday afternoon, and that was a long weekend too if I remember correctly.

Their policy is 120 days warranty on the replacements, regardless of when you bought the phone the first time. I wasn't too happy 5 months in and losing 3 months of my year warranty, but now I'm actually ahead, as my current warranty runs out in 3.5 months. And being that the Pre is of such excellent build quality, I will look for any reason to get them to replace it now.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel