1. D2
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hi guys,

I'm just a little concerned with the Palm Pre resting data usage. I've done searches on this topic but haven't really found what I'm looking for.

Just a bit of an introduction, I live in NZ so data costs an arm and a leg, so I only have 100MB to use monthly.
    I used to own a HTC Hero running Android, and with this phone, I could leave 3G data on all day, and it would drain almost no data. I'm talking like 1-3MB for an entire day idling on 3G, and I could browse for maybe 30mins and only use 1MB of data.

With the Pre, it seems like just leaving the 3G on sucks my data like nothing. After an hour only, I will notice maybe 1-2MB gone, so leaving my data on all the time could use up my allowance in only a week. This is a bit crazy considering that this is with me not actually doing any web browsing or anything.

So the question is: are there any ways to stop the Pre using so much data when it is idling. It is quite annoying to have to turn on and off data every time I want to check a website for 5 seconds.

Side Note: What uses more Battery/Data Push Email or polling email? I've read contradicting stuff so anyone know?
    Polling makes your email check on a regular basis, even if you haven't received any email. With push, you only get email, when there is something actually there, so less data usage.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3. D2
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I just did an experiment. I turned 3G data on, and in that time, I recieved 2 emails, checked my Tweets, and read one web page. The rest of the time the phone was just idling.

In this time, It's used close to 4MB, which is ridiculous! I haven't even done anything with it. Any ideas on what's responsible for the data drain? I have Palm Backup off, and my twitter and rss apps are set to manual refresh, Email on Push, Facebook on 30mins, and I haven't figured out how to change calendar contact sync frequency.
    Really, most everything in the Pre, since most apps require data.

You may want to look into mode switcher from Preware, so you can turn data off and just have it turn on, when you need it.

Sent from my eVo
  5. D2
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Yeah I already turn data off and on, but I just find this hugely inconveniencing. Also I don't like how the phone drains excess data every time I turn it on with things that I don't actually need.
    Mode switcher can be set to do it automatically, so you don't have to do it.

Most modern smartphones are going to use a lot of data.

Sent from my eVo
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Mode Switcher will take care of this (and more). This is on my short list of "must have's". Get it, check out the forums on it, configure it for your use, then be sure to donate. Enjoy!
    this has been one of my lingering, unanswered questions ever since I got the pre plus last Jan. I have no clue what's going on, but the pre's idle 3G usage is annoying. I believe the phone syncs to the cloud every X number of minutes.
    It may be your GPS.
    Turn off Background Data Collection from Location Services app.