1.    #1  
    So like many of my fellow Verizon Plus owners, I had spotty GPS for ages. Just one of the many ahem "quirks" that come with ownership of the device. However recently I've noticed that my GPS does not work at all, nada zip. For programs like Yelp, Foursquare and Facebook Places it refuses to get any sort of lock at all. Yelp gives me a location not found error and the others give me errors as well.

Naturally first thing i did was check location preferences and GPS was and is definitely on. I tried turning all off, resetting and turning back on and still no luck.

I have been running Govnah overclocking between 800mhz and 1ghz screen state scaled. Is there any chance this might have fried my GPS? Has anyone had issues with this?

Any help would be infinitely thankful.

Go Palm
    I just went outside using the VZ Navigator trick and Google Maps. Was off by over 200 yards, which is worse than usual. No other patches etc. This has happened before and a reboot usually gets it close again. Sucks, but so does Android.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I use my phone for geocaching all the time and haven't had a single problem with the GPS. As a matter of fact, the GPS on my phone is just as accurate as the one using my Garmin. I have never had a single problem with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    I just went outside using the VZ Navigator trick and Google Maps. Was off by over 200 yards, which is worse than usual. No other patches etc. This has happened before and a reboot usually gets it close again. Sucks, but so does Android.
    True. I noticed that GPS sucks even on my brother's Droid X, VZW's flagship phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The Verizon aGPS Blocker in Preware has done more than anything else for my Verizon Palm Pre +. It still takes 30 secs to 1.5 min to get a lock, but once it does it works very well, follows me from stop light to stop light when traveling on the roads, oddly enough it is usually a good 15-20 feet off when on foot though.

I cannot say that it gets a lock quicker than the Quest GPS I use for my delivery job, it an old GPS, but it gets a fix in 10 seconds or less everytime, I have never had a problem with it.

My brother has a Droid Eris on VZW, not a good Android phone, but his GPS is better than any I've seen, it has a lock every time I open Google Maps, I don't know if it stays on or what, but he has better battery life than my Pre. It follows you like I think GPS is supposed to, it is dead on everywhere, yard, road, parking deck, etc. That's how i want my GPS to work.
    Last edited by squeezy; 01/20/2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeebs View Post
    So like many of my fellow Verizon Plus owners, I had spotty GPS for ages. Just one of the many ahem "quirks" that come with ownership of the device. However recently I've noticed that my GPS does not work at all, nada zip. For programs like Yelp, Foursquare and Facebook Places it refuses to get any sort of lock at all. Yelp gives me a location not found error and the others give me errors as well.

Naturally first thing i did was check location preferences and GPS was and is definitely on. I tried turning all off, resetting and turning back on and still no luck.

I have been running Govnah overclocking between 800mhz and 1ghz screen state scaled. Is there any chance this might have fried my GPS? Has anyone had issues with this?

Go Palm
    Do you have the patch and app called GPS Fix? I've found that to be excellent. There is also a newer patch that shuts off the aGPS service which forces the gps radio to get a satellite lock.

Have you tried either of those?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    i have 1.2Ghz overclock patch among many others, and i have the agps blocker patch, and yes it takes sometime 10 seconds, sometimes 3 minutes to get a lock but when it does, it's dead on permanently. I use gps dashboard to get my initial lock, then leave it running, then all my gps aware apps work perfectly.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeebs View Post

Go Palm
    I think it's more Verizon than the Pre or webOS - My Sprint Pre is very accurate. but, I have a couple of friends on Verizon, who cannot rely on the Pre's GPS at all.

Although, it it isn't working at all, you could have a busted GPS radio.... and I doubt you fried it, just bad luck. ...or a bad connection, or not seated properly when built... etc.
    Yes, it is well documented around here that there are GPS APIs they didn't make available. Now that they are, they expect the OS maker to write to them, and they are still hesitant to allow other programs to access the gps radio.

Hopefully webOS 2.x and/or the Pre2 will solve this. This is DEFINITELY a verizon issue, but there are some creative homebrew solutions that work pretty well for many members, including me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    <<moderator edited>> He didn't have Location Services turned on. Once he did that the GPS found him within 10 ft or so in less than 30 seconds.

Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/21/2011 at 05:58 PM.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
  11.    #11  
    So I fiddled with the my settings (turned off google services and restarted) and I'm back in business. Still not a spot on GPS (which is fine). It was mainly an issue with Yelp and Foursquare where it couldnt even remotely place me.

Thanks for the help all
    My GPS is bang on most of the time, only times it gets shady is in the downtown central core. Same with my Garmin, apparantly the signal doesn't go through tall buildings all that well.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    It is Verizon and NOT Palm. I put my TomTom away as soon as I loaded GPS Fix and asked it to stay awake. Applying the patch was easy and effective.
    BTW, with the Fix keeping the GPS on and tuned in, a bunch of other apps become very useful like Find Nearby Stuff and GoodFood.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if Verizon is going to fix the GPS problem in the Pre 2, scheduled for release later this month?
    Do I need to install the Verizon aGPS Blocker *and* the GPS fix or just the aGPS Blocker?
    installing both made my gps unusable and I had to doctor...the gps fix never worked for me but agps blocker is working fine.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    I just switched to the Verizon Pre Plus from a Sprint Pre. I rarely see GPS working. I think I may have to go back to Sprint. I use Google Maps everday.