1.    #1  
    Hello, I am a new pre owner.
    Can anyone, please, tell me if there is an app anywhere that is essentially voice caller id? I want the phone to verbally tell me the name of the caller as I have it saved in my contacts. If one does not exist, I would be happy to pay a modest fee to get one made.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by jegrag View Post
    Hello, I am a new pre owner.
    Can anyone, please, tell me if there is an app anywhere that is essentially voice caller id? I want the phone to verbally tell me the name of the caller as I have it saved in my contacts. If one does not exist, I would be happy to pay a modest fee to get one made.
    Thank you
    I use Talking Caller ID. It has a variety of ways it can announce the name. Sexy, robotic or secretary type voice.

You choose among the names in alpha order.

They also have relationships (aside from wife, boyfriend, etc., they can be quite colorful, if you like titles like booty call, loser, fool, etc)
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  3.    #3  
    Thank you. I just saw that app a few minutes ago. I am, however, lazy and don't want to input names or options. I just want it to say the name I have the number stored under.
    Thanks again for the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by jegrag View Post
    Thank you. I just saw that app a few minutes ago. I am, however, lazy and don't want to input names or options. I just want it to say the name I have the number stored under.
    Thanks again for the app.
    Gotcha, that would be a nice program.

If there is one I may like to try it too. Although on my old Treos, I had it but I always just used the speed dial instead.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  5. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    If you want it bad enough . . . record the name (or have someone do it for you) and save as MP4 then assign to the contact. Not sure any1 is going to invest heavily in having the phone attempt to read the contact name then speak it over the speaker . . . could be wrong -- maybe several folks are designing that as this topic grows???
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the input. Palm already had it on their treo. Nextel has it on a few phones and so does Samsung, out of the box even. Apparently I am different because I really want it but since most companies do not supply it there may not be much of a demand. However, if Motorola put it in some Nextel phones, it can't be too difficult.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the input.
    Several older phones, like Treo, i580 and Instinct had voice caller id linked to contact list, so it shouldn't be that difficult. I guess I am just an oddball that wants it. Perhaps the companies making the phones do not believe there is any desire or demand for it. I would think just about everyone would want it. What could be better than knowing who is calling without touching or looking at your phone first?
    A few bluetooth headsets will do this for you. The Blueant T1 is the first one that comes to mind. It automatically pulls in all of your contacts from the phone and announces them when the call.