1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I had an ebay Palm pre which had wifi & bluetooth range issues.
    Assuming that the warranty didnt cover ebay purchases, I opened up the phone to experiment fixing my wifi & bluetooth. While the original problems didnt go away, it eventually broke my phone. SOS only!!.

Yes, the anti-tamper logo under the screws were removed.

But feeling brave, I called Palm support & found that the phone was under warranty but was not sure if they will find clues about my ham fisted attempts as disassembly (the anti-tamper sticker was removed)
    They warned, if they find that the phone was abused, they will charge 135 for the repair !

After sending the phone off, and waiting for few weeks, they sent the phone back -- repaired for free! Not only does the phone work, they also appeared to have fitted a new back and new touchscreen ! Only the keyboard appeared to be old.

On the downside the phone was locked back to O2. Again I called Palm support, who said if they get unlocked phone for repair, they dont usually lock the phone back. So they admitted their mistake & offered me unlock codes. None of the codes worked, so they wanted the Palm Pre Back to repair again ! I think due to a mismatched IMEI & Serial no on the repaired device. Could not take the hassle anymore, so I used digitalunlock to unlock it (thanks GuyFromNam !)

So I learnt the following :
    If your unlocked phone is re-locked by the service center, call & complain !
    Device warranty is 2 years. (of which 1 year is of the network). Irrespective of where you bought it from.
    Even if the anti-tamper sticker is missing, Palm may repair your device, as long as you have not carelessly left clues inside the phone)

This was with the UK Palm repair center (SBE UK Ltd)
    Last edited by FunkiBluDawg; 01/18/2011 at 01:51 PM.
    I'm pretty sure after this post, the first thing checked before repairing a phone again will be if the anti-tamper sticker is there.
  3.    #3  
    heheh..that could be possible..in that case remove the sticker carefully and put it back.

if in doubt, don't even attempt opening the device !
    Your experience should not be thought of to be normal expectations.

A couple key notes

- Removing the sticker voids your warranty as stated on the sticker itself.
    - Opening the device voids your warranty
    - The device comes with a 1 year hardware warranty anything outside of 1 year is subject to a repair fee
    - Depending on how the device was unlocked would determine if you would receive an unlocked device back. I'll clarify more on that.

If the device was originally sold as an unlocked device by Palm then any repaired unit you receive from Palm should and will be an unlocked unit. If the device was locked to a carrier and unlocked by a third party, sending the device in for repair will have the device locked back to the original carrier as this is who the device was originally sold and intended for. Unlocking the device beyond that is the customer responsibility. Now I know in the UK there is a lot of different laws around how locked and unlocked devices work so there are region specific policies and codes that are followed, the information I have provided is directly related to US support.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  5.    #5  
    Yes, you are right HardBeatz, my experience is lucky or after some blagging at palm. I was not expecting it to be a free repair, but thought of chancing it.

As for unlocking, i fully expected it to be relocked, but was surprised when palm support offerd unlock codes, instead of the official line.

I suppose they have a carrier database of units which are supposed to be relocked!
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Your experience should not be thought of to be normal expectations.

A couple key notes

- Removing the sticker voids your warranty as stated on the sticker itself.
    - Opening the device voids your warranty
    - The device comes with a 1 year hardware warranty anything outside of 1 year is subject to a repair fee
    - Depending on how the device was unlocked would determine if you would receive an unlocked device back. I'll clarify more on that.

If the device was originally sold as an unlocked device by Palm then any repaired unit you receive from Palm should and will be an unlocked unit. If the device was locked to a carrier and unlocked by a third party, sending the device in for repair will have the device locked back to the original carrier as this is who the device was originally sold and intended for. Unlocking the device beyond that is the customer responsibility. Now I know in the UK there is a lot of different laws around how locked and unlocked devices work so there are region specific policies and codes that are followed, the information I have provided is directly related to US support.
    Just a note, in my limited warranty notes supplied with my pre in box, it states a 2 year warranty on the hardware as long as the original proof of purchase can be supplied. Please correct me if I am wrong!
    I believe this is EU consumer electronics legislation. 2 years.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Sorry, I should of read the quoted post more carefully. It does state the US support in the last sentence and I am from the UK.

Bah, bit of a bummer for US customers!