Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac08 View Post
    Patches have been a lifesaver for this phone...made the Pre minus experience 1000000x better than what palm has offered...hopefully HP has taken notes when they send out their newest line on feb. 9th!
    I'll never understand replies like these. Palm -HAS- offered you he opportunity to patch your phone by their openness! Patching is a straight-forward process and totally normal in webOS.

Why doesn't anybody ever say "wow, these Apps that I can download have really made my iPhone 20000 times better than Apple sent it to me"?

Maybe because no marketing has expounded the revolutionary nature of magical patches yet? In my opinion, HP should make an official Patches section in the App catalog and then advertise that like hell. I'm pretty sure that once they see it on TV, people will stop talking about patching like it's somehow a chore and start seeing it as what it is - a really easy, nowhere-else-to-be-found way to personalize almost any OS settings you care for.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I'll never understand replies like these. Palm -HAS- offered you he opportunity to patch your phone by their openness! Patching is a straight-forward process and totally normal in webOS.

Why doesn't anybody ever say "wow, these Apps that I can download have really made my iPhone 20000 times better than Apple sent it to me"?

Maybe because no marketing has expounded the revolutionary nature of magical patches yet? In my opinion, HP should make an official Patches section in the App catalog and then advertise that like hell. I'm pretty sure that once they see it on TV, people will stop talking about patching like it's somehow a chore and start seeing it as what it is - a really easy, nowhere-else-to-be-found way to personalize almost any OS settings you care for.
    However, a number of patches do add features which should be present 'out of the box', and I don't think that lenmac08 commented about how normal or otherwise that patching was. I agree with him/her, that patches greatly enhance the user experience.

BTW You can delete your own posts if you want to (Edit>Delete).
    I have to agree. Patches really do enhance the experience. Though some of them should come "out of the box", lots of these patches you won't find anywhere else! Kudos to the entire homebrew community!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I have to agree. Patches really do enhance the experience. Though some of them should come "out of the box", lots of these patches you won't find anywhere else! Kudos to the entire homebrew community!
    Patching and the ability to patch is as much an integral part of webOS as applications or widgets are for other operating systems and should be included in the advertising hype that is used to market the phones. Patching allows the user to customize their devices to fit their needs and desires. The ability to personalize the phone is a tremendous selling point that Palm and HP needs to capitalize on. The contributions of the fantastic webOS homebrew community are as much a part of the total smartphone experience as the ability to load applications. I think that loading patches, themes and homebrew apps should all be available from a custom app catalog that lets the user configure their ‘open source’ phone to their liking as easy as installing apps. Who knows, we may someday see paid patches and themes.

As far as saying that the features provided by patches should be included ‘out of the box’, assumes that everyone uses their phone the same. When you presume to know what everyone wants on their phone and prevent modifications to the user experience, you now are taking the same direction of Apple with the iPhone. The inflexible nature of Apple hardware and operating systems is the primary reason I don’t own a single Apple product. To me ‘open source’ means that the end user has the ability to select the type of user experience they wish.

Patching is one of the elements that make my Pre Plus so much fun to use and I hope that HP will continues to support patches and a customizable user experience. I understand that webOS 2.0 has restricted the ability to patch the launcher because it was redesigned with C++ compiled code. There go our 4x4 icon pages and custom backgrounds. If HP and Palm continue on this course we may soon not be able to patch and will all have to share the same user experience as dictated by the designers of webOS.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Patching and the ability to patch is as much an integral part of webOS as applications or widgets are for other operating systems and should be included in the advertising hype that is used to market the phones.
    Don't like how our OS works for you ??? Buy it anyway and patch it!!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    As an example of something that should be there 'out of the box', SMS character counter is a good one.
    Last edited by johncc; 01/19/2011 at 05:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Don't like how our OS works for you ??? Buy it anyway and patch it!!!
    ridiculous, right? Why would anybody like the big picture of something but want to change tiny details? Consider also Android's "Don't like our OS keyboard??? Buy it anyway and install swype!!!". How laughable. Android is obviously crap if they have to present users with options.

And what is it with aftermarket car accessories??? I shouldn't HAVE to buy all those, they should ship like that!! To everybody!! Even the ones that don't want them.

At least the iPhone is perfect and doesn't need tweaking. Yes, perfect. You can't tweak it unless you go out of your way, risk bricking and void your warranty, but also: millions of people buy it, so that proves beyond any argument that it is flawless just the way it is. If you want to change anything about it, you must be a) stupid or b) a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

And what is it with aftermarket car accessories??? I shouldn't HAVE to buy all those, they should ship like that!! To everybody!! Even the ones that don't want them.
    But I would say that the Pre(us) shipped with some window winders missing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12