1.    #1  
    My phone all of a sudden can't make calls. It shows signal and 3G, but when I try to make a call, the 3G disappears and it just says "connecting" forever. As soon as I hang up, the 3G reappears. Try to make another call, and the 3G disappears. Hang up and 3G reappears. I can still get on the web though (not using wifi). What's the deal?

I have just spent part of the afternoon trying to install preware (unsuccessfully). Would that have screwed something up? I am not in developer mode. I turned that off and the phone restarted. I also just restarted it again a second time and that didn't help.
    No, that shouldn't have done anything to your signal.

Who's your carrier?

When is the last time you updated your network settings and PRL?

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Assuming you are Sprint of Verizon, the 3G will always disappear when you are on a call. It will also disappear when you are connected to WiFi
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Happened to me yesterday. I had to get a replacement phone. Luckily they had one in the store for me.
    In terms of Preware, the only issue your could have from that is if you installed any of the patches that turn particular radios on/off, roaming on/off, or if you went in into your dialer and made any changes to your radio settings, like changing from 1A to EVDO 1x, etc.

Before you panic, get everything packed up using the Preware saved Package List feature and then the Save/Restore app to back up app data (including the saved package list). Copy it all to your PC...

Before your carrier will send you another, you will end up doing an erase and possibly doctoring your phone. If you are backed up, you will be fine. I doubt you actually have a bad radio, but it's possible.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Assuming you are Sprint of Verizon, the 3G will always disappear when you are on a call. It will also disappear when you are connected to WiFi
    Weird, never noticed before that the 3G disappears when making a call. Learn something new every day. I guess it was just a weird network thing that no calls would go through for a little bit. Just seemed coincidental that it started doing right after I tried to install preware.
  7. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Keep an eye on it. Mine was doing that for a few hours before the modem went completely dead. Wi-fi still worked, but no phone and VERY sporadic 3G. Verizon replaced under warranty. If you run quick tests from the Device Info app, it might give you an error. Mine showed Error 20 - Modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    To elaborate, that goes along with how CDMA tech works; 3G(and 4G) is for data only...and well, you can't use data and talk at the same time. This is major gripe about the VZN iPhone vs. GSM version, but that's for another thread. lol