Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Results 161 to 171 of 171
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by SNYPE2K11 View Post
    As a user you should be entitled to do whatever you want with the phone you bought. If people now have the right to jailbreak their phones, using leaks isn't much different. It is the leaker that would be in trouble. The most they should be able to do is nicely ask you to return your phone to normal. If you state that you did not know it was pirated material it's not like they would have any proof anyway lol
    It doesn't matter if you "didn't know" if it was or was not pirated. The fact you got it from a non-Palm website (or without permission from them by entering in your serial number, etc.) makes it illegal and punishable by jail time and a hefty fine.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    It doesn't matter if you "didn't know" if it was or was not pirated. The fact you got it from a non-Palm website (or without permission from them by entering in your serial number, etc.) makes it illegal and punishable by jail time and a hefty fine.
    I hope Palm starts cracking down on things like this...

    Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by SNYPE2K11 View Post
    As a user you should be entitled to do whatever you want with the phone you bought. If people now have the right to jailbreak their phones, using leaks isn't much different. It is the leaker that would be in trouble. The most they should be able to do is nicely ask you to return your phone to normal. If you state that you did not know it was pirated material it's not like they would have any proof anyway lol
    Worst. analogy. evar. Crying ignorance doesn't save anyone. If that were the case, the RIAA would never have been able to sue (and win) hundreds and hundreds of people who simply had pirated music and videos on their computers. They don't care how you got them, the fact that you have the illegally distributed software is all the law requires for damages.

    You are totally free and "entitled to do whatever you want with the phone you bought" as long as it is within the law. Step outside that line and you take your chances. Just as you are totally free to use your car however you want, but if you start running red lights and running over mailboxes, you've made a choice to step over a line. Free choice. /2 cents.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I hope Palm starts cracking down on things like this...

    Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Cracking down on what exactly? The problem is with the person leaking it, not the people downloading it. It is going to be a free OTA update anyway. It would not make any sense (monetarily) to go after anyone for getting something that goin to be free anyway.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark


    The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
  5. #165  
    [QUOTE=StuntmanMark;2842277]Cracking down on what exactly? The problem is with the person leaking it, not the people downloading it. It is going to be a free OTA update anyway. It would not make any sense (monetarily) to go after anyone for getting something that goin to be free anyway.

    Especially your own customers. Pretty much guarantee you lose any customer you sue.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    Cracking down on what exactly? The problem is with the person leaking it, not the people downloading it. It is going to be a free OTA update anyway. It would not make any sense (monetarily) to go after anyone for getting something that goin to be free anyway.
    It is still Palm's proprietary software. They own it fully and any copies that they have not released are illegal copies. Why is that fact being debated?

    If this thread is going to break down to a legal discussion over distribution of proprietary software, we will call the topic exhausted and close the thread.

    <<thread closed>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/29/2011 at 04:14 PM.
  7. #167  
    i saw it haven't tried it yet though. maybe later tonight.
  8. #168  
    If shane sees this .. Everyone hide!!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9. #169  
    I may have found VZW's 2.0..
  10. #170  
    Just for the sake of the forum, can we close this thread..

    Its inevitable anyways..
  11. #171  
    <<another thread about pirated 2.0 on a Sprint Pre merged>>
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Posting Permissions