Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Its in an article talking about the iPhone and Verizon.

"What also helped Verizon Wireless, though, was the introduction of Android phones beginning in the fall of 2008. Android is not a single phone, but rather an operating system developed by Google that allowed cellphone manufacturers to approximate the look and feel of an iPhone. Cellphone makers like Samsung and Motorola flocked to it. And so did Verizon Wireless, which abandoned its marketing support for loser phones like the Palm Pre, and put all its muscle behind the Android phones."

I have to admit that seems like a really bizarre sentence for a publication like the NYT. I found it pretty funny.

Here's the link if you are interested in the whole article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/bu...ref=technology
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    that is weird
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I think that 'loser' in that context is 'money loser'... And if everyone had 3 or 4 replacements in the year since they launched it... you know VZW lost a LOT of money on the Pre+.

it would almost be cheaper to just send a Pre2 for any replacements and the cut the warranty to 30 days.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/15/2011 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

it would almost be cheaper to just send a Pre2 for any replacements and the cut the warranty to 30 days.
    +1
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I thin that 'loser' in that context is 'money loser'... And if everyone had 3 or 4 replacements in the year since the launched it... you know VZW lost a LOT of money on the Pre+.

I understand that was the meaning but I found it funny they would use that sentence to explain the point. You would think they would explain what "loser" means since some people maybe have no idea about the Pre. They just read a sentence that says "loser Pre" and it almost comes across as a barb, not a reflection of financial truths.
    David Pogue liked the Pre though...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    At the risk of sounding rude, a business analysis in the NYT isn't going to water down their jargon just so an outsider can understand. It's not meant for people who don't understand the context of the term. Could it be worded better, yes, but consider the target audience.
    NYT is for losers i say...
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    I saw that and did a double take. As someone who has owned 5 different phones in the last year, and been happiest with the Pre, I can say with some certainty that it is not a "loser phone"... (Unless the five phones makes me a loser...)

I think the phrasing they were looking for was probably 'unprofitable.' I'm still slightly offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You just had to negate my plus one by subtracting twelve, didnt you haha
    I think looser meant small compared to most of the other smartphones that help geeks feel superior to compensate for what they lack.
    I abandoned support for loser publications like the New York Times, putting all my occular muscle behind the LA Times.
    comments in article inappropriate
    Having gone through 6 Palm Pre phones in a year, I fully agree with the statement "loser phone". In actuality, the term is very kind considering the product being referenced.

Edit: Just to clarify, my comment is about the Palm Pre specifically and not webOS in general. I don't think the NYT should be sugar coating anything.
    Last edited by taharka; 01/15/2011 at 05:28 PM.
    Regardless of what one may think, it's a pure choice of words from a publication such as the new York times. It belongs in the ny post
    Trust me when i tell you ... the First blackberry Storm had an average return rate of i think 3 or 4 phones per person and they sold 400,000 first DAY. Dust under the screen... the "bubble" screen was unresponsive at the corners, major light bleed out of the buttons, large gap around the screen enough where dirt would pile up... LAGGY LAGGY OS, 5 min reboot times. And in 6 months they announced the Blackberry Storm 2.... we are going to start pushing 2 YEARS for this phone. Anyone who mentions the "pre" now says it with a grain of salt and old age.

Again by the time we see new phones in 3 to 6 months it would be 2 years of not seeing anything "new" Pre+'s and pixis don't count in my book. They keep rehashing them and ticking people off.

Lets hope webOS 2.0 is well baked.
    The phone didn't meet expectations. Period.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    It's only surprising because you respect the NYT as an actual news source. They print nonsense all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    The phone didn't meet expectations. Period.

what if anything ever does meet expectations? -- rarely are the vast majority satisfied with the product or the price they paid for it
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I think it is a "loser" in sales, build, support, and in the minds of many users.

I often ask people about pres "is that the palm pre" and the response I usually get is 90% negative about hardware or battery.

They could have used a better word though.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast