Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I have an original Sprint Pre with a fading battery. Replacement on the way but in the meantime I have been going under phone preferences and turning off data connection to save battery. One thing I have noticed that although under the main menu (from the time) wifi is still listed as "on" and connected to my home network. However if I try to load an app like facebook it informs me I don't have a data connection.

Any idea what is going on? Is my wifi radio shot? Does "turn data off" block wifi even though it is listed as on?

(I know I used wifi on an airplane a few weeks ago while in airplane mode, so I don't think wifi is broken, but can't figure out why it claims to be on but I can't get a connection with it.)
    No, it only turns off the 3G radio.
    Your WiFi can be on, to detect networks, but not actually connected to one. Have you checked the settings to make sure it is connecting to a network?

That happened to me, once, when I was using my Pre. It was showing WiFi connected, but it gave me the no data connection error. I checked my settings and realized that I wasn't actually connected to any WiFi network. I had one set up in there, but it wasn't set to automatically connect to it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Your WiFi can be on, to detect networks, but not actually connected to one. Have you checked the settings to make sure it is connecting to a network?

That happened to me, once, when I was using my Pre. It was showing WiFi connected, but it gave me the no data connection error. I checked my settings and realized that I wasn't actually connected to any WiFi network. I had one set up in there, but it wasn't set to automatically connect to it.
    How do I check the settings? It says under "wifi" my network name with a signal strength indicator.
    Tap your network to connect.

That's what she said.

But yeah, you may not be connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    How do I check the settings? It says under "wifi" my network name with a signal strength indicator.
    You can tap on the network name to bring p the settings for that network.

<edit> Arg.. I'm too slow lol
    If you are connected you will see the SSID showing in the WiFi menu or the WiFi app.

Also, what sort of security are you using on your WiFi router? Start with it open (no security) just to make sure you can get connected. Then turn on security, and if it's a really old router make sure the Pre works with whatever security it has.

ANd if it's a really new router, make sure it isn't set in peer-to-peer mode, 802.11n-only, or something else that the Pre can't handle.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I'll be darned. Brought it up and it asked for my password and then connected me. I had done this way back when when I got the phone (around launch), hadn't thought about it since. I wonder how long this has been going on...

Also could explain my terrible battery life (Sprint signal terrible in my house), though Dr. Battery has my battery health at 50% post-calibration so still happy to have spent the $3 to have a new one coming.

Thanks all. I love this place.
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    I'll be darned. Brought it up and it asked for my password and then connected me. I had done this way back when when I got the phone (around launch), hadn't thought about it since. I wonder how long this has been going on...

Also could explain my terrible battery life (Sprint signal terrible in my house), though Dr. Battery has my battery health at 50% post-calibration so still happy to have spent the $3 to have a new one coming.

Thanks all. I love this place.
    Exactly what happened to me. After setting it up once, I hadn't thought about it again, until I had a problem. Lol

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!