Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    My day 1 pre is starting to have issues...

Earlier this week it would randomly go into "Phone Offline" mode and stay there for a few minutes before it would turn itself back on and work properly again. A few times it wouldn't come out of it and I would restart it (sometimes shutdown or pull the battery). Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't.

I figured it was just an issue with a patch or something so I doctored it this morning, but it still does the same exact thing on a fresh wipe (No preware yet).

So I'm guessing it's hardware related? Could this be a problem from overclocking? Do I just need to get a new one on ebay or is this fixable?
    I wasn't able to fix mine. I even took it to the Sprint service center. They tried to fix it without any luck. Even though I'm out of contract, didn't have insurance and I bought the phone on ebay (replacement for a lost pre), they're giving me a new phone for 35 bucks plus tax. That may be your best option.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    That seemed to work! We'll see if it last all day, but I'm guessing it is going to work!

Looks like it's time to bust out the old wallet and donate to webos-internals again... How could I ever leave a community like this? And to think I was even thinking about wp7...
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Well that was fast... It did it again. I'm guessing it's a hardware issue then?
    unless it is tied to heat (hitting a certain temp) or being bumped so you can repeat it consistently, even after doctoring, it probably isn't hardware.

I would start be applying the fix again and watching heat or setting it down on a hard surface, jumbling around in your pocket, etc. to look for a pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    And to think I was even thinking about wp7...
    we forgive you
    silicon and/or connections expand and contract and sometime develop 'fatigue that will only show up when at a particular temp that corresponds to a specific expansion point.

I haven't seen it recently, but I've seen it in several PCs over the years. More often it was a failure once the component got warm, but once I had a card that didn't work properly , but would start behaving once it warmed up.

heat fatigue is generally what is behind chip failure.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Well it seems like I'm just an ***** haha.

I ran PmModemUpdater -m -e -o </tmp/castle***fw.tar without running PmModemUpdater -f </tmp/castle***fw.tar afterwards! I did it a second time and it has worked ever since. We'll see if lasts all day.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Offline again, any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I had this exact same problem with my third Pre (the first two were my own dumb mistakes. Never put a phone in your back pocket.) I did the offline / reboot dance for a few days and finally decided to doctor it in hopes it would remain online. Much to my amazement it got stuck in offline mode and couldn't reach the network to recover my Palm Profile. Clearly I didn't think the problem through. I ended up taking it to the Sprint store and they told me to come back in an hour. They couldn't get it up and running in that time so they just gave me a free replacement Pre.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I've downloaded a bunch of different doctors now and tried the modem firmware from all of them (I only did the sprint pre ones, just older versions). It'll work for about 3-4 hours after each time I flash it, then it will just start to be random. Seems to work for about 15 minutes after everytime I reboot the phone, but then it's just a crapshoot.

I activated my old Treo 700p until I can figure out *** is going on with the pre. The "sprint store" here won't fix it because they really arent a sprint store :\
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Is there a fleeting chance that it could be a problem with the battery?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    It happened to mine, Sprint ended up sending me a new one, multiple doctering did not work
    What about trying a really old Doctor version, like 1.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    I wasn't able to fix mine. I even took it to the Sprint service center. They tried to fix it without any luck. Even though I'm out of contract, didn't have insurance and I bought the phone on ebay (replacement for a lost pre), they're giving me a new phone for 35 bucks plus tax. That may be your best option.
    wow cool a $35 replacement! did you have to renew your contract?