Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I understand that Kindle books can be read on pReader ( which is wonderfull) but I wondered how I can buy/download books as when I attempt to do so from Amazon it asks me to either register my kindle device or download to pc.

Would I just download to pc and copy the file?

Thanks

Paul
    Yes but check this thread on Kindle/pReader/DRM: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...doc-files.html
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    You'll probably have to download the Kindle software for PC and link that to your account before you can download it.

The problem you're going to run into though is removing the DRM from the file you download so you can read it with pReader.
    pReader should be able to open free AZWs, but DRM'd ones (if you bought them) will not work.
    If it is a AZW1 or TPZ file, it will simply not work with pReader.
    Rubinstein just joined Amazon's board. Hopefully he will get them to do a webOS app for Kindle.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Just buy a kindle It's well worth the price. I read Atlas Shrugged on pReader (it's a pretty long book if you've never seen it), and I must say that it wasn't that enjoyable. Reading on the kindle is amazing.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Thanks all I will have a go.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    Just buy a kindle It's well worth the price. I read Atlas Shrugged on pReader (it's a pretty long book if you've never seen it), and I must say that it wasn't that enjoyable. Reading on the kindle is amazing.
    I may still buy a kindle for home use but I have been reading books on palm for years and am used to it. It is great when I go on holiday on my motorbikebike. A kindle would just be too big.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by kremmen View Post
    Thanks all I will have a go.

I may still buy a kindle for home use but I have been reading books on palm for years and am used to it. It is great when I go on holiday on my motorbikebike. A kindle would just be too big.

Paul

I've always read on my Palm. My husband bought me a Kindle for my birthday, and although I love it. I still like the convenience of downloading books w/o having to carry another device. Like you said, the kindle is too big to carry around all the time. However, it does spoil you.

For pReader we have to DRM for our Pre. Thus, I'm constantly buying for my Kindle that don't make it to my Pre. But if we get a Kindle app for Pre, I'll be able to leave my kindle at home for bedside reading and for traveling,. All other time, my Pre will be the portable device of choice.
    Don't forget that Palm has Kobo reader which is Border's books app. (they have a reader device also)

The app has 100's of thousands of books from all categories (NYT Best seller, Oprah BC, etc) and allows syncing on multiple devices.
    I carry my Kindle everywhere I go, the latest version is like the size of a paperback. I just stick it in my bag (in a case, of course). I prefer to use the collections feature the Kindle app offers, but it would be great if Amazon put out an app for the Pre for when you want to read and you need a backlight. That said, I load my own articles on the Kindle a lot, so the other apps on the Pre can do the job fine.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Amazon, where are you with your Kindle app!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Amazon, where are you with your Kindle app!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have to admit, I love having the Kindle app. One of the first things I installed.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    i think the kindle app will be revealed feb 9th
    I personally enjoy using the pre for ebooks from time to time. Turn down the brightness to minimum, kick off the phone radio etc, and that battery will last a LONG time. It's a nice compact reader that does the job. Not knocking the kindle, but in a pinch the pre works well.

As for putting kindle books onto the Pre, the problem is DRM. Since you've bought the books however, and can read them, there is a solution! Here's a link that will walk you through it:

Ebook Formats, DRM and You — A Guide for the Perplexed Apprentice Alf's Blog

Calibre 2 (the program this tutorial uses) is an -amazing- ebook management tool. Coverflow through your whole book collection, search deeply within it, easily transfer from it to your Palm Pre, etc etc etc. It's a completely free program, and it even gives you the ability to translate ebooks from one format to another, putting them on -any- ebook reader you happen to have.

Personally, I translated my whole e-book library into epub files since they run on virtually anything. I've collected thousands of ebooks over the years and this gives me a ridiculously large library to carry around in my pocket. At my current book-reading-rate, it would take 40 years to read them all - and I don't mind a bit. It's like carrying around a library in my pocket, a childhood dream fulfilled (as a young child I imagined a day where an encyclopedia brittanica fit in your pocket - easily accessed, universal knowledge for everyone). My palm pre fits the bill, with 24/7 internet access (literally brittanica in my pocket), a massive collection of books and music, and the ability to communicate immediately with anyone on the planet. Incredible, really.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Personally, I translated my whole e-book library into epub files since they run on virtually anything.
    Yeah everything but the Kindle . It's the only thing I don't like about mine.
    Yeah everything but the Kindle . It's the only thing I don't like about mine.
    Are you saying that if you have an epub w/o drm that you didn't purchase through Kindle you can't read the book? If so, I guess you can use Calibre to change book to pdf, but I don't really like pdf files on kindle.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    bdhu: You just need to convert it to a mobi file and it works fine. But the Kindle doesn't have native epub support, so libraries are a no-go
    bdhu: You just need to convert it to a mobi file and it works fine. But the Kindle doesn't have native epub support, so libraries are a no-go
    Thank you so much. My Local book store is finally getting e-books and even if it's more expensive, I want to support them. The nook, the sony reader and everything else can read Google e-books. I planed on converting them for the Kindle, but reading them directly from the Pre. Until my husband got me the Kindle, I was converting B &N and Kindle books to read in pReader so I have no trouble with the idea of converting them.

Thanks so much for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Don't forget that Palm has Kobo reader which is Border's books app. (they have a reader device also)

The app has 100's of thousands of books from all categories (NYT Best seller, Oprah BC, etc) and allows syncing on multiple devices.
    I use Kobo reader but it is painfully buggy. It appears to still be somewhat beta-ish. I do hope they work on an update soon. Primary problem seems to be when you try to switch search screens it doesn't always switch. Additionally I've had to download numerous times before the book actually downloads successfully.

The book selection is great. I just find that I have to do the selections on my laptop before downloading the book on the Pre.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I have to admit, I love having the Kindle app. One of the first things I installed.

Sent from my eVo
    So you have to rub it in?! This is why nobody gives redheads equal rights!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast